cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy150974
Paper Tape
Views: 322
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 2 11 Will not Start. Doesn't appear to be the usual BIOS type issue.

Hi everyone.

Hopefully I can get some assistance on this particular problem.

I'm looking at a faulty Yoga 2 11 laptop (i3 processor) that belongs to a friend. He told me it no longer switches on anymore.

It's about 18 months old (or thereabouts).

The laptop powers on and the Lenovo screen appears for about two to three seconds and then it powers off immediately with a "click".

My first thoughts were dust/overheating. Well I took the back panel off and as expected the fan but mainly the vents were solid with fluff and dust (couldn't see through them). I've since found out he likes to use the laptop on the carpet and in bed so not a great surprise!

The fan itself wasn't too bad, I brushed it clean and also gently cleaned it with some alcohol solution. I have ordered a replacement but it seems very tough to get hold of one in the UK so I have ordered one from China but obviously that will take a good few weeks. However the blades of the fan were not very dirty so that may not be the issue. The fan turns freely and with no resistance.

Cleaned the rest of the PC, as there was heavy fluff and dust towards the top of the motherboard. The SD card inserts and USB sockets were solid with fibre as well.

Anyway, temporarily placed the back panel on again but unfortunately no luck; the issue is still there. It doesn't even get to the BIOS screen.

I did disconnect the battery and tried only using the power supply, no difference.

I then spotted something that might be a problem....

Looking at one of the USB3.0 ports I've noticed he's tried to badly insert something into the port and it's completley broken the USB socket. The centre plastic part is no longer there and the pins are pointing in all directions. I managed to seperate them but this has made no difference to starting.

Considering there's 5v running through these things I'm wondering if he's buggered the laptop up? (pardon my French).

It wouldn't be the first time, I repaired his HP laptop five times for him (broke the keyboard, broke the screen twice, broke the power socket away from the motherboard amongst other things).

If these pins touched one another I would imagine that would create an almighty short in the power supply and immediately shut the laptop down. Obviously I can't disable the USB port or remove it for testing.

I'm going to temporarily unplug the HD to see if that makes any difference but as mentioned above I can't get to a BIOS screen at all.

Any suggestions? Or shall I give it back to him as fast as possible! lol Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 234
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 2 11 Will not Start. Doesn't appear to be the usual BIOS type issue.

What version of Windows, 8.1?

There's a little NOVO button beside the start button, what happens if you press that with the machine off?  Does the menu come up and the screen stay on?  

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Andy150974
Paper Tape
Views: 204
Message 3 of 4

Hiya,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Thanks for the tip, yes that does indeed start the laptop and go to the BIOS screen.

However if I try any form of boot option the laptop switches itself off again immediately.

If I leave it on the BIOS screen it will stay on no problem. Left it for an hour, no issues.

BIOS v1.15

Not sure how I can update the BIOS (if needed) if I can't get into windows.

However there is still this slight feeling I have it might be Hard Drive related, I need to disconnect it first and see if that works.

Is there anything else worth trying?

EDIT: I have plenty of themal compound so I think I may try renewing that as well if needed.

Thanks, Andrew.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 199
Message 4 of 4

I tend to think it is hard drive related also, but go back into the bios and go to the boot option.  Make sure the USB boot option is moved behind the hard drive boot option so that the hard drive boots first and then try to boot it again.

Without a working USB port I'm not sure how you are going to boot from anything to reinstall the OS if the hard drive is shot.

Regards,

Dave 

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors