Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timk
Paper Tape
Views: 2,640
Message 1 of 22

Yoga 2 11 Windows 10 Restart issues

Hello everybody,

since I updated my Yoga 2 11 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 i found an issue concerning the reboot after installing updates, but also the restart in general.

As soon as it comes to the restart, the black screen with the lenovo logo appears, but windows does not start loading. I have to turn off the laptop with the power button and then turn it on again. Then windows starts normally.

I have no clue how to fix it, googled the web but did not found proper solutions. Has someone an idea?

tmn72tx
What's DOS?
Views: 2,567
Message 2 of 22

Re: Yoga 2 11 Windows 10 Restart issues

I thought I had the fix. Still freezing. This issue is most vexing. BIOS changes don't work and reloading the OS hasn't done it.

One post I saw said it had to do with the format of the drive. I haven't been able to try that yet.

timk
Paper Tape
Views: 2,539
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for your help, I didnt find a working solution yet. I am wondering if this "bug" is just annoying, or is it dangerous for the system to turn it on and off instead of a reboot?

helix2000
Serial Port
Views: 2,528
Message 4 of 22

Hi,

at first: If you did an upgrade from WIN8 or 8.1 to WIN10 and your Windows is activated!!!! (shown under "settings" >"updates and security" >"activation" "Windows is activated!) the best method is to make a clean installation with the Microsoft "MediaCreationTool". You will need a USB-stick >4GB download with the tool your Windows version (WIN10 home 64bit) and make a clean install. Before, download the Lenovo drivers for chipset, audio etc. on a different USB-stick, to install after the clean WIN10 installation.

At the moment, do you have any "yellow-signs" or "unknown devices" at "device-manager"?

Did you install all Lenovo drivers (chipset, audio, etc.)?

@timk: Yes, restart by turning off the system with the "start-button" damage your windows system!

Greetings

Helix2000  ;-)

timk
Paper Tape
Views: 2,518
Message 5 of 22

Hi Helix,

thanks for the advice. As far as I see, every driver is with the latest version, no unknown devices and windows is activated. 

What is the difference between a clean installation and an update installation like I did?

helix2000
Serial Port
Views: 2,504
Message 6 of 22

Hi timk,

if you only upgrade with WIN10 there can be left some corrupt files, drivers etc..

For example my upgrade WIN10 was very slow, it was not possible to work with the computer as "normal", it was like there is a chewing gum in the harddisk Smiley Wink

Follow these steps:

-Make a backup from your data

-Ensure the latest Bios

-Download the WIN10 with the Microsoft "MediaCreationTool" and create it on a USB-stick

-Control that WIN10 upgrade is activated

-Put the WIN10 USB-stick into the right USB-port (2.0)

-Restart into Bios, switch to "start from USB" (if you do not found: under your running system, "settings" > "update and security" > "restoration" > "advanced or enhanced start" " start from USB-stick")

-If the window "Partitions" appear, erase all partitions, that you have only one partition

-Installation starts. If the question about your "Windows 10 activation key" appears (two times), click "No" or "Later" or "Skip" (below right or left side), do not give in a key!!!!!!!!!!

-If WIN10 starts, make Windows update

-Install Lenovo drivers as this:

1 Chipset

-chipset driver

-CCP and MBI driver

-Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver

-MEI and TXE driver

2 display and video graphic

3 WLAN Driver

4 Conexant Audio Driver

5 Bluetooth Driver

6 Camera Driver (Bison, Liteon)

7 (Bay Trail-M) Realtek Card Reader Driver

8 T(Bay Trail-M) Touchpad Driver

9 battery gauge

10 power management cppc

11 power management dptf

Control if any "yellow signs" or "unknows devices" are at "device manager"

Any question left? Ask!

Good luck

Helix2000 ;-)

treveden
Paper Tape
Views: 2,463
Message 7 of 22

Hi,

would it be a work around if I was to reinstall all the Lenovo drivers you have suggested on the existing Windows 10 upgrade ?

Been experiencing problems with non responding software , either Internet explorer or Edge. Windows doesn't restart on most occasions.

helix2000
Serial Port
Views: 2,447
Message 8 of 22

Hi Treveden,

yes, this is a general workaround for updating the Lenovo drivers.

As i wrote before, a clean WIN10 installation solve many problems/issues with an upgrade installation.

UPDATE: There is a new version of the Windows "MediaCreationTool" (version 10.0.10586.0.) available. I did read, that now you can make a clean WIN10 install, directly from WIN7, 8, 8.1, without making an upgrade installation before, to activate the WIN10. In the clean WIN10 installation process you can give the "old" WIN7, 8, 8.1 key (If you have an activated upgrade WIN10 version, you do not need a key).

But i did not try.

Helix2000  ;-)

treveden
Paper Tape
Views: 2,384
Message 9 of 22

Hi Helix,

Just had another total system freeze. Had to use the power switch to shut down and restart. Driving me nuts ! System running really slow, slow start up. Free of viruses and malware. Full scans completed.

Installed the complete set of drivers , now have 3 items in the device manager with question marks. I'm attaching a screen print.

Sometimes I can restart , on other occasions the PC will fail to shut down in restart , seems like it enters a sleep mode. Again have to power off by holding in the switch.

Not looking forward to a complete reinstall of windows 10  . Sent an email request to Lenovo service support but havent recieved any reply, do they monitor this forum ?

Screenshot (12).png.

blero
WWAN
Views: 2,368
Message 10 of 22

These "Other Devices" are Bluetooth related, so I woud try and reinstall the Bluetooth drivers.

And be careful, there are 2 possibilities, Bay Trail-M and Haswell, maybe you installed the wrong ones.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors