Did you mean: 
Arzk
Punch Card
Views: 4,940
Message 11 of 81

Re: Yoga 2 13 (20344) WiFi Issues

@sarbin wrote:

@spazztastic wrote:

After some experimenting, I believe I found the issue.  My router is an Apple Time Capsule, thanks to my wife.  I supplemented it with a new Linksys router, and made sure to connect only to the new router's wifi.  My issues have gone away.  To ensure connectivity for  my wife's Mac, I put the RTime Capsule in 'Bridge Mode'.

Going on a week now with no further wifi problems with my Yoga.

Thanks for providing your update.

I've marked this thread as solved with your post.

Regards.

Sorry for quoting such an old post, but I don't think that's a solution at all.

I'm having the same "limited" problems with the Realtek RTL8723BE card. At home with my Linksys router the wlan works fine, but at my university the wlan is completely unusable. There are two separate wlans and both of them lose connection constantly although the signal level shows full bars. My previous laptop (Samsung N210) and my phone stay online in the same conditions, so clearly it's a problem with the Realtek card. That's a router I can't replace by myself.

Edit: I just installed the 2012.13.402.2014 drivers and the university wlan hasn't disconnected yet. I'll continue testing but I hope this fixed most of my problems. If that's the case I hope the driver were available directly from Yoga 2 support site.

Thank you Emmerx for all your work, I hope the correct 7260AC card would soon be easily available. 

Emmerx
Token Ring
Views: 4,915
Message 12 of 81

@Arzk wrote:

... so clearly it's a problem with the Realtek card. That's a router I can't replace by myself.

Edit: I just installed the 2012.13.402.2014 drivers and the university wlan hasn't disconnected yet. I'll continue testing but I hope this fixed most of my problems. If that's the case I hope the driver were available directly from Yoga 2 support site.

Thank you Emmerx for all your work, I hope the correct 7260AC card would soon be easily available. 

There are even newer drivers available from Lenovo for one of their other products:  2012.16.0523.2014

These RTL8723BE drivers are only released for their THINKCENTRE E63Z

Again thanks to Riwi:  download

Please try these too after you have found the 13 reliable.

I can't do this myself, as I switched to the 7260N and Lenovo 'Service' won't return me my 8723 card (smart move!)

Any one that swapped to the 7260N has a spare 8723 for me? I'd like to borrow it for a few months...

Arzk
Punch Card
Views: 4,903
Message 13 of 81

@Emmerx wrote:
There are even newer drivers available from Lenovo for one of their other products:  2012.16.0523.2014

These RTL8723BE drivers are only released for their THINKCENTRE E63Z

Again thanks to Riwi:  download

Please try these too after you have found the 13 reliable.

I can't do this myself, as I switched to the 7260N and Lenovo 'Service' won't return me my 8723 card (smart move!)

Any one that swapped to the 7260N has a spare 8723 for me? I'd like to borrow it for a few months...

With the .13 drivers I managed to stay online for the two hours of lectures without a single "limited" annoyance. I now installed the 2012.16.0523.2014 drivers and walked back to the uni. I can't test thoroughly now but seems good. With the original drivers the limited condition appeared every time I tried to do something "heavy" as downloading files or starting Thunderbird, but now I can't get it to disconnect however I try. Of course there are far less 2,4GHz noise around because people have gone home already.

At home with the new drivers I had satisfactory speeds, with no difference to .13 drivers. Windows reported 150Mbps network (via Linksys E4200 running DD-WRT and 2,4GHz N-only network) and testing with iperf reported constant 63Mbits between the Yoga and my server. It's not perfect, but I'm quite happy.

I read about your Atheros replacement in the other thread, nicely done... If there are any tests you'd like me to do for the new drivers please let me know.

JubiLee
Punch Card
Views: 4,881
Message 14 of 81

@Emmerx wrote:

Because of the white list in the BIOS we are restricted to use the cards certified by the FCC, as the Yoga 2 13 seem to have a problem complying with SAR (radiation) regulations.

This might be the reasons transmitting power is reduced in the firmware of the WLAN card, leading to worse performance compared to (cheaper) OEM cards with supplier drivers..

Can anyone explain how it is possible that the Yoga 2 13 allegedly has such a problem complying with FCC SAR (radiation) regulations while the Yoga 2 Pro does not?  They are nearly identical machines in terms of design, size and form factor. And I assume they use the same antenna wiring, routed within the case the same way. So why should the Yoga 2 13 have such a problem with emissions that is needs to be limited to whitelisted WiFi cards, while it's Yoga 2 Pro counterpart is able to use any FCC-approved card?

Emmerx
Token Ring
Views: 4,855
Message 15 of 81

Antenna brand/type might be different, in other places and routed in a different way.

The WLAN card is located on the other side of the mainboard and also the casing could be of a different material.

The HMM of the Yoga 2 13 shows the details on the antennas, the HMM of the Y2Pro doesn't ?

After testing the 7260N card (20200409) for a while a still notice problems with specific routers (e.g. Ubee as used by Ziggo):

connecting seems to have improved, but data transfer speeds are varying.

Up to seconds without any data transfer...

As this happens with 3 different brands of cards (Realtek, Atheros and Intel) I think there is a deeper problem in the Yoga 2 13 

Former Administrator
Views: 4,818
Message 16 of 81

Emmerx,

20200617 does seem to be the orderable part through service for the AC card.    We have one on order now, but it is showing backorder until first week of November.   I'll update once I have it physically in hand.

I did call service in the US today to check on this.  877-453-6686, then option 4, 3, 2 through the VRU menus to get to parts.   Parts confirmed the part number as orderable and confirmed the current out of stock / backlog.

Parts stock can change moment to moment, and has we have hundreds of stock locations WW, my spot check is not meant to convey status in every country / Geo.    That said, I am fairly confident that the 20200617 is a part that service should recognize and can be ordered.

Mark

Emmerx
Token Ring
Views: 4,774
Message 17 of 81

Thanks Mark.

Can you please update if you've tested this card with the v1.11 BIOS?

As I have seen positive results with the v1.09 BIOS, but untill now no reports of 1.11 

Most suppliers are out of stock, new delivery within 2 weeks ...

Emmerx
Token Ring
Views: 4,719
Message 18 of 81

Emmerx
Token Ring
Views: 4,675
Message 19 of 81

Is there already anyone that has received and installed his Intel 7260AC with PN 20200617 ?

e.g. both  winners of the eBay cards from above?

Please inform us on any (positive) results, before the rest of us start ordering the relatively expensive version of the 7260AC.....

Emmerx
Token Ring
Views: 4,554
Message 20 of 81

The last days my problems with the 7260N WLAN card have increased, as I had to use wifi more often (no cabled network available at my workplace).

Big data transfers (Dropbox) and/or continous data connectivity (video streaming, Skype calls) lead to disconnections in the wireless network. This happens to all sorts of routers.

No such problem today as I'm using an USB wifi adapter, which looks ridiculous ....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors