Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

01-19-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 3

Yoga 2 13 (20344) strange noise - possible fan problem and how to fix that

2021-01-19, 7:35 AM

I bought my Lenovo Yoga 2 13 Laptop (20344) in March 2015 and I've used almost only that one as personal laptop for these years (sometimes heavy use). During the last 2 months, I started to keep it shut off for longer period of times (days), differently from what happened in the past years when it was turned on or sleeping. In correspondence with that, I could clearly notice that especially when turning it back on, it was making very bad noises, for which I think the fan is responsible: the fan was already very loud during the last year or so (I think), to a point where it was almost covering the sounds played by the laptop even at full volume, but those "new" noises were clearly different from the one produced by a functioning fan. I was just kind of ignoring those noises (even for the reason that they were disappearing after some minutes from power on) until some days ago when the noises became very **bleep**htnening and at some point they were clearly telling me that the fan was stopping for some fractions of seconds and then moving again and then stopping and so on, as if something is mechanically making it hard for it rotate at all. This lead me to just don't use the laptop again and to think that dust accumulated to a point where it gives very considerable problems. My questions are: -Does it make sense that dust can stop fan rotation like that? Is it a common problem for this specific machine? -Is it easy and, in particular, is it safe to open the back of the laptop to remove the dust in excess? I've never operated on a laptop interior part and I'm afraid to mess something up. I've found two tutorials for fan replacement (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COGix4K1DGM , https://it.ifixit.com/Guida/Lenovo+Yoga+2+13-Inch+Fan+Replacement/39460) but hopefully I just need to remove dust, do you think I can do this safely?

TL;DR: Is it reasonable that the fan of my laptop suddenly starts making bad noises because of dust accumulation and is it safe to open the laptop to remove the dust? Would it solve the problem

Options

170 Posts

04-26-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

150 Signins

1035 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 1035
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Yoga 2 13 (20344) strange noise - possible fan problem and how to fix that

2021-01-19, 10:22 AM

Probably just the fan bearings. The Yoga 2 Pro had an issue with them wearing out quickly too. It's easy to get in to and even replacing a fan takes probably 15 minutes.

Options

2836 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

378 Signins

14526 Page Views

• Views: 14526
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Yoga 2 13 (20344) strange noise - possible fan problem and how to fix that

2021-01-19, 11:26 AM

Hi patrizioerre,

TL;DR: Is it reasonable that the fan of my laptop suddenly starts making bad noises because of dust accumulation and is it safe to open the laptop to remove the dust? Would it solve the problem

It's not unreasonable for a 6 year old machine to have problems like this. How safe it is depends on the precautions you take when opening it up to remove dust and or remove the fans if you want to replace them. Hopefully it will solve the problem by removing the dust, but it's not guaranteed, as mentioned above, it could just as well be worn out ball bearings that require you to replace the fans.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms