Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vdmolen
What's DOS?
Views: 4,657
Message 1 of 52

Yoga 2 13 Power cord plugged into USB and shorted

Recently purchased Yoga 2 13" lenovo. Power chord was accepted into the usb and shorted the laptop.  This is a product design problem.  How do you remedy the repair of this laptop. 

3/25/15 EDIT: Changed subject line to allow others to find it. Amy_Lenovo

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,601
Message 2 of 52

Re: Power chord plugged into usb and shorted

Unless I am missing something, it looks to me like you would need to push REALLY hard - hard enough to crush and break the plastic piece in the middle of the USB port.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Guru
Views: 4,582
Message 3 of 52

The power cord doesnt go into any regular USB port easily. (I dont even think it goes in)

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
vdmolen
What's DOS?
Views: 4,569
Message 4 of 52

I would agree that the power chord should not be able to go into the USB but there is nothing there protecting the USB it is all metal. When the power chord touched the USB it smoked. 
vdmolen
What's DOS?
Views: 4,567
Message 5 of 52

There was no need to push really at all.  As I said there is nothing/or protection stopping the female end from accepting the male end or the plug in.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,561
Message 6 of 52

there is or was a plastic tongue that would need to be crushed and broken. As I said, you would need to push REALLY hard.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Guru
Views: 4,558
Message 7 of 52

Ok, well not exactly picking your statements apart BUT in your first part you said that "Power cord was accepted into the USB port".
Now, in this post you said that "the power cord TOUCHED the port and smoked".

I will say this again, it is not easily possible. But it's up to you contact Lenovo and ask if it can be repaired.
Is your laptop working or totally dead?
---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,550
Message 8 of 52

The following image is from page 21 of the Yoga 2 13 hardware maintenance manual:

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_yoga_2_13_hmm.pdf

y2-13-pwr.jpg

I've looked at my Yoga 2 Pro, X1 Carbon Gen3 and Helix Gen1, all of which sport the new style power connector, and I see no way for the center pin (which carries the voltage) to touch any metal parts inside a USB port unless the port's plastic tab is broken or crushed, as richk is describing.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

el_barto
Paper Tape
Views: 4,510
Message 9 of 52

I had a similar problem, it is very easy to do.  The USB port on the right side has no plastic insert, just 4 metal prongs around midway up.  If there was a tab, it fell out at some point.  It seems to me that this is a bad design flaw.  The laptop is completely dead.  I fear the motherboard needs replacement, any ideas?

el_barto
Paper Tape
Views: 4,506
Message 10 of 52

I looked closer into the USB port, and there was a plastic tab that broke off at some point. It did not happen in this incident, and I didn't break it off with excessive force as I don't just go around trying to mash plugs into places they won't go.

Regardlesss does anybody know if this sounds like a motherboard replacement, and if it may be covered by warranty?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors