Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oilerlord
Punch Card
Views: 15,766
Message 1 of 446

Yoga 2 13 Wireless Card Unauthorized Message

Hello everyone,

Like other users, after upgrading to an Intel Wireless AC card, I'm getting the "unauthorized wireless card" bios message on bootup.  I'm confident this is a bios whitelist issue, in particular the card I'm installing isn't on it. I have the 96CN17WW (V1.03) bios on my Yoga 2 13.  

I did enable the bios backflash option, so I'm wondering if there's a V1.00 version floating around somewhere that doesn't have this whitelist - alternatively, is there a bios editor around that anyone here has had success with?  I really want to get wireless AC going on my Yoga.  

Hoping that someone here has found a solution to this.

Highlighted
oilerlord
Punch Card
Views: 15,679
Message 2 of 446

Re: Yoga 2 13 Wireless Card Unauthorized Message

Additional info: 

Wireless card I'm trying to install - Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Model - 7260NGW

I checked for a bios update, but none exist for the Yoga 2 13. 

oilerlord
Punch Card
Views: 15,648
Message 3 of 446

Update.  

Got the card to work...well, more of a workaround than a permanent solution.  Booted up the computer with old card, put computer to sleep, swapped new card.  The computer found the new card and installed it automatically.  For bluetooth functionality, just had to disable / enable through device manager and it started working.  The only crappy thing (at least for now) is that if I need to reboot the laptop,  the bios still throws the 1802 "unauthorized wireless card" message.  

I've backed up the bios and will be sending it to the fine folks at bios-mods.com to remove the idiotic whitelist.  For now,the screws aren't attached to the bottom of the laptop if / when I need to reboot the laptop.  Once the whitelist is removed from my bios, I'll post a link to the updated bios.

Hope this helps someone.

lukasbrazda
Paper Tape
Views: 15,608
Message 4 of 446

Hi oilerlord,

I have the same expereinece. Also with changing the card in sleep mode. But it is incredibly annoying!

If you have modified BIOS, pleas let me know!

Thanks!

Lukas

Travissimo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,588
Message 5 of 446

Hello Oilerlord,

Glad to see you fighting the good fight. I'd also like to upgrade at some point. I hope you get it all worked out. I'd definitely appreciate a link to the modded bios.

Thanks!

Skibumwi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 15,542
Message 6 of 446

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I have the same issue.  Plus, I bunged up one of the connectors on the original card and can no longer get the white lead attached.  Anyone know where I can buy the original card?  I can't find it on Amazon or Newegg.......

I guess I'll have to hold the wireless lead on the original card, boot the system, put it to sleep and put in the new card - No software updates requiring a reboot for me.......

Ski

radoslavp
Punch Card
Views: 15,523
Message 7 of 446

Hi oilerlord,

Just the topic I needed.

Btw as Y2 Pro guys are discussing, are you sure you are not using the wrong Wi-Fi card?

There seems to be several model cards and while there is one model that works, others are throwing the error you have.

Can you confirm you are using the correct Intel 7260 that Y2 Pro owners use without a problem and have the problem, or you picked a random Intel 7260?

I picked a random wifi card and have your issue, but was wondering if I buy the correct one will it be the same.

Will keep an eye to the thread.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T440 - Intel Core i5-4300U, 8 GB RAM Corsair , Intel SSD 180 GB
Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 13 - Intel Core i5-4200U, 8 GB RAM, Crucial M550 120 GB SSD + WD Black 500 GB (16 GB SSHD)
DanSolo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,503
Message 8 of 446

Is this something to do with the hardware "whitelist" in the bios? So a sleep/wake cycle bypasses this?
Won't work for a new SSD though, unless there's some way of running Windows from a USB or something.
oilerlord
Punch Card
Views: 15,493
Message 9 of 446

Not sure if there is a "correct" Intel AC 7260 card available at the moment for the Y2 13.  I thought I purchased the same one from M-Factors that other Y2P users had installed with success.  There may be more than on revision of the card, but the bios's between the Y2P and Y2 13 are different - so the whitelist may also be different. One Y2P owner did a regular Lenovo bios update, and his Intel card problem went away (obviously, the Intel card was included on the whitelist with the newer bios revision)

For me, I'm not cool with a vendor (Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc) forcing a customer's loyalty through the use of a whitelist.  I'd rather just remove the whitelist instead of hoping the next card / SSD / etc will work with my laptop.

I did make a request for whitelist-removed bios for the Y2 13.  I'll post it here when I receive it.

Skibumwi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 15,462
Message 10 of 446

@DanSolo wrote:
Is this something to do with the hardware "whitelist" in the bios? So a sleep/wake cycle bypasses this?
Won't work for a new SSD though, unless there's some way of running Windows from a USB or something.

Yes, it appears to be a whitelist issue.  I don't thnk a sleep/wake cycle will work unless you actuall change the card from the approved to the disapproved card while the PC is sleeping.  THe whitelist violation pops up during POST (Power On Self Test) which occurs before the OS actually runs.

Ski

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors