Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AllenSmith81
Paper Tape
Views: 2,792
Message 421 of 446

Re: Yoga 2 13 Wireless Card Unauthorized Message

Does anyone have any idea how to get this working??

JubiLee
Punch Card
Views: 2,786
Message 422 of 446

AllenSmith81 it sounds like you're trying to use a generic wireless-AC card instead of one of the specific wireless cards needed for the Yoga 2 13. Read the thread, you need either part number 35020612 or 20200617. Other cards may fit the slot but they're incompatible with Lenovo's firmware which locks out all other variants because of unapproved emissions.

If you hot swap an unapproved card into the machine it may work at first but it will be locked out at the next reboot, as you described.  There is no way to get a generic card to work, that's the whole point of this thread. You may be able to get a 35020612 or 20200617 card from Medion Germany, or they pop up on Ebay once in a while. Until then, you might have to go back to using your original wireless-N card if you still have it.

AllenSmith81
Paper Tape
Views: 2,782
Message 423 of 446

This much I know.. Its royally wrong and I want to find a way around it. If you read this thread it claims the above card will work from firmware 1.11 but it doesn't.

Almost tempted to take Lenovo to court for being anti-competitive.
AllenSmith81
Paper Tape
Views: 2,782
Message 424 of 446

Oh and unapproved emissions is a load of BS. I used to work for Intel and all the cards have to pass the exact same standards.. this is nothing more than a large multinational trying to control the supply chain.
JubiLee
Punch Card
Views: 2,758
Message 425 of 446

You may be right but if that's the case then Lenovo's efforts to control the supply chain seem oddly inconsistent. The Yoga 2 Pro doesn't have the same draconian whitelist for wi-fi cards as our Yoga 2 13 model, for instance.

I have a feeling it could have something to do with a policy that was approved somewhere along the line in the development of our model. Perhaps when they submitted the design for FCC approval they did it in such a way that the FCC only approved specific part numbers, as opposed to the Yoga 2 Pro where they approved a broader category of wireless card.

That's pure speculation on my part, so who knows? But if I'm correct then I can understand how Lenovo may not have wanted to bother re-submitting the Y213 for further approval with additional part numbers, and resorted to the whitelist as the easy way out. Or maybe it was just two different design teams that each did things their own way for the Y2Pro and Y213. I don't know, it really doesn't make sense to me.  I can't understand why the Y213 should be so locked down while the Y2Pro is not, considering they're such similar machines with the same form factor etc.

AllenSmith81
Paper Tape
Views: 2,750
Message 426 of 446

Ha ha

If that was the case then every computer in the world would have to pass fcc testing with every type of network card available. Just not at all plausible. The simple fact is changes made to devices after market are not the manufacturers issue for the purpose of certification.

Also, even if that were not true, fcc rules do not apply in the uk!

They need to remove this whitelist immediately
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,582
Message 427 of 446
Moved:

Re: Yoga 2 MAC address

shorst54
What's DOS?
Views: 1,986
Message 428 of 446

Hi all,

does anybody know the status of this issue?

Wifi card number 20200617 doesn't seem to be available anywhere, even via medion germany. Does the current bios version 1.17 still contain the wifi whitelist?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best

Horst

Ruudscuba
What's DOS?
Views: 1,975
Message 429 of 446

Hi,

I was thinking of this solution.

It's possible by a pci wlan to cover pin#20 so the wifi-card can't disabled. (look around the internet)

How about trying to disable the wifi in the bios but enable the wifi-card by cover the "swith-pin".

If this works i think de bios doesn't see the wifi-card and the system will pass the "whitelist"

and we have a working wifi card.

The only thing is this. de wifi can't be disabled anymore, but you can install a better and faster card.

I only just can't find this "pin#20" (switch pin) on a m.2 ngff socket..............................

Is this a idea ?

stregone147
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,658
Message 430 of 446

i am going nuts...can't find the wifi card nowhere ... in italy is impossible to find .. there is one in germany , they want 113 euro ... this is a robbery Smiley Sad

Someone from europe who sells one ? 😄

did lenovo free'd up some card with lasr bios update 1.16 ?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors