Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrT_73
Paper Tape
Views: 598
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 2 13 dead after 4 months

I bought a Yoga 2 in October, and last week it died. Won't power on, plugged or unplugged, all that happens when you hold the power button down is the battery status light flashes amber 3 times. Have tried holding the power button down for 20 seconds, nothing. Phoned Lenovo technical 'helpline' over the weekend, guy told me the unit would need to be returned for repair, and they would possibly have to replace the main board. He went on to inform me that if I wanted to save any data that was stored on the hard drive, I should employ the services of a data recovery expert, and that I should backup my data regularly. Now, the way I see it is that my data is (presumably) still on the machine, but a fault with either the components or the manufacturing means that I can't get at it. The guy wouldn't budge, and stuck very diligently to the approved Lenovo script ("very sorry, but the warranty covers hardware only blah blah blah"). I've got 4 months' worth of university work on this machine, so I'm bit p'd off at the minute. Can anyone on here advise how I go about raising a formal customer complaint with Lenovo? Thanks

Guru
Views: 558
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 2 13 dead after 4 months

You can raise a complaint with Lenovo, sure. Call them back again and try to talk to a manager BUT I dont think lenovo provides data backup or recovery services.

Even if they did, it would cost you extra. Ideally, you should have backed up such important work (even if thats in google drive, I know I do, coz i have lost work before)

Your best bet is some data recovery guy who can do this without voiding your warranty. (coz if you open your laptop and void the warranty then Lenovo wont even repair it).

Sorry and best of luck.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Guru
Views: 553
Message 3 of 5

Unfortunately for the Yoga 2 13, the hard disk drive is not marked as a CRU, so in principle, pulling the SSD before sending it in voids your warranty.

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_yoga_2_13_hmm.pdf

It's not too difficult though (immediately accessible after removing the base cover), so you could consider negotiating for sending it in without the SSD (and not getting your warranty voided).

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
MrT_73
Paper Tape
Views: 541
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the responses guys, have spoken to the shop where I bought it & they think it's a power problem and will look at it under their warranty as the vendor. They've said it's unlikely they'll have to touch the SSD so my data should be safe. Still intend to follow this up with Lenovo though, seriously unimpressed with their response to my initial phonecall. 

Cheers

MrT_73
Paper Tape
Views: 530
Message 5 of 5

*update*

back to the shop, new power lead, works fine

right, backup time...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors