cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Travissimo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,365
Message 1 of 119

Yoga 2 13 (non-Pro) Incredibly loud and rumbling fan noise...

So my wife just got a Yoga 2 13 (non-Pro edition) last week, and the fan has begun to make a very loud and disconcerting noise. It has happened the past two nights. Funny thing is, this morning and afternoon it sounded fine. The fan was spinning but was barely audible. When it is acting up however, it definitely does not sound right. The fan spins at a very high RPM, and sounds like it is going to vibrate right out of the housing. It cycles up and down and is audible accross the room. It's louder than my desktop that has 5 120 mm fans and a large GPU with 2 fans. I checked the temps and they were fine. CPU was in the 50 degree celsius range.

What is also interesting is that when rebooted (while the fan is sounding like a jet engine), Windows 8.1 says it is shutting down, and then the screen goes black. But the fan spins even faster for about 20 seconds before the machine fully shuts down. I mean it enters a supersonic realm that I didn't think was possible.

I called tech support last night, and he gave me a case number and  said I could either have it serviced, replace it, or return it. I'm going to call the sales department tomorrow and see about replacing it, I think. It has only been in our possession for 4 days now, and this intermittant fan noise doesn't bode well.

The wife loves the laptop, and I like it as well (I recommended it to her), so I'm hoping that this is a freak occurrence. I know the first generation Yoga 13's had a problem with the fans spinning too fast on a regular basis, but I don't think it sounded like this. Anyone else have this problem with the Yoga 2 13?

oilerlord
Punch Card
Views: 17,249
Message 2 of 119

Re: Yoga 2 13 (non-Pro) Incredibly loud and rumbling fan noise...

Sounds like it was installing Windows updates.  Same thing happened with my Surface Pro - high CPU caused the fans to run at 100%, rebooted a few times during updates install, then was fine.  

Unrelated - but if you have a moment, could you snap a photo of your keyboard?  I'm hoping that the keyboard, trackpad, and palmrest are identical to the Y2PRO.

Travissimo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,231
Message 3 of 119

Hi oilerlord,

Sounds like you already ordered your Yoga 2 13, but I already took a keyboard shot, so I'll post it for you.

As for the fan noise, I will say that the computer wasn't installing anything that I could tell, and the CPU load was at 10 % or less. I exited out of everything and it still made that awful wailing sound even at idle.

Today, it is as quiet as a whisper. So far. I'll monitor it for a few more days, and if I'm still getting hearing the unbearable cacophony of the fan's brutal demise, I'll see about getting a replacement.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

oilerlord
Punch Card
Views: 17,224
Message 4 of 119

Yeah, that is weird.  I brought up the Windows update possiblity because the fans in my (former) Surface Pro went supersonic during installation / shutdown too.  Could be a combination of the heat accumulated from the CPU, GPU, and the WD 500GB drive that caused your fans to freak out.  Were you running any games or high CPU applications before shutting it down?  

Thanks for the photo of your Y2 13 keyboard.  It does look identical to the Y2PRO (which is a good thing). 

ipaqman
Punch Card
Views: 17,188
Message 5 of 119

I just got my Y 2 13 from BestBuy when it went on sale for the weekend.

The fan was loud when I first started doing the initial updates and some PC setup work.  Apparently, the 30 day trial McAfee was busy checking all of my files.  The CPU usage went sky high and that set off the fan.

I saved an image of my system and then uninstalled McAfee.   The fan is quiet now.

Travissimo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,170
Message 6 of 119

The first thing I did was to uninstall McAfee, and the other bloatware. Surprisingly, there was comparatively little. All updates had been installed. Firefox and Chrome were open, but that's it. The CPU wasn't even breaking a sweat. I don't know why, but the fan just freaked out. It hasn't happened the past few days, so I'm eyeing it suspiciously, and monitoring the situation...

cedge26
Paper Tape
Views: 16,980
Message 7 of 119

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 13 (no pro) for a few week and I have observed Fan Tray is working all the time. It makes noise. I have read on Knowledge Base it's possible to install a special EC on yoga 13 provided by Lenovo.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-13-Fan-Noise/ta-p/1065093

What are the recommendation about Yoga 2 13 (no pro version) ? Does this EC can be installed on this machine ?

Thanks

Moderator Note; subject edited; threads merged

Guru
Views: 16,961
Message 8 of 119

That article applies to the first generation Yoga, it doesn't apply to the Yoga 2 13.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS041005

Make sure to check for BIOS updates and driver updates, also check in task manager if you have something running in the background. That's the best advice I can give you for now.

Second what you can do is install CPUID HWMonitor (Free version), and send us a screenshot of when your Yoga 2 13 is idle. So we can see CPU temperature and CPU power consumption. But usually you don't need to go this far, I bet it's just an application running in the background.

Moderator Note; subject edited; threads merged

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

cedge26
Paper Tape
Views: 16,934
Message 9 of 119

HI Jonas,

Thanks for your advise. I confirm I have unistalled all programs not required (McAfee, ...). There are no recent drivers available for Yoga 2 13.

Also, I have installed CPUID HWMonitor, I don't notice hot temperature

Link to picture

I would like disable Fan when CPU is less than 50° for example.

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

ipaqman
Punch Card
Views: 17,078
Message 10 of 119

I have noticed that in the power options, the setting of the Processor Power Management - Cooling policy makes a difference with fan speed.  For power save, i use Passive cooling and limit the Maximum Processor to 70 percent.  This throttles the CPU but keeps the fan quiet.  This also improves the battery life.

Only when I need CPU speed do I change to the Balanced power option.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors