Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jredenbaugh
Paper Tape
Views: 430
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 2 BIOS update v38

I just got my Y2P.  Do I need to install this update?  What does it do?

AussieEd
Paper Tape
Views: 413
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 2 BIOS update v38

I'm a 'newbe' to this forum but will try to clarify in a non technical way.  The BIOS contains the basic data for the pc to startup; as sort of brain stem with all the electronic DNA between the full function allowing the machine to boot (start up).

Updating the BIOS is rather like updating a programme to a revised version however 'flashing the BIOS is not without risk as it can destroy or corrupt vital data resulting in a boot failure mode.

I've just done my update and there was a concern. Upon completion it did not automatically reboot as the instructions indicated. I was left with a blank screen and keyboard illuminated.  Very reluctant to switch off as this can destroy the BIOS completely. I contacted the support desk and indeed this seems to be a known problem of not completing reboot. Instructions werre to hold down the on/off button for at lest 8 seconds and it did indeed complete reboot successfully.

My tip is print off the instructions before you start so you can recognise the step by step process. It only lists seven steps but the Tech Support desk has others beyond that.(!/?)

Top marks to the UK technical help desk tele 0333 777 3991 (hope you wont need it!)

brucexx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 369
Message 3 of 5

I just had the same issue, in my case it started rebooting but it did not get anywhere displaying dark screen (but you could tell that it is powered on). 

The instructions are misleading at least if you get this problem, they say do not reboot and that the system will reboot automatically but it does not, it just sits there. I rebooted finally and everything went to normal. I confirmed to be on v38 of the BIOS.

No information as to what problems are fixed in the new BIOS

AussieEd
Paper Tape
Views: 360
Message 4 of 5

Hi Bruce, Good to know it wasnt me doing something wrong and I'm not alone. The technician seemed to be aware of the final reboot 'stalling' and not completing. I do think that additional instructions should be given if the auto re- boot stalls. It leaves us all in doubt as to what to do because instructions implicitly state 'do not switch off'!

As for what it does - mine seems to be more responsive so looks like a bit of fine tuning, but as you say would be nice to know!

brucexx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 344
Message 5 of 5

yes mine too but I would like to know exactly what is going on. I had my network card replaced 2 days ago. yesterday it was still disconnecting and today even froze the laptop. I was hoping that maybe something with the wireless ... since the BIOS update no disconnections but because they are random it is hard to say will monitor and update.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors