Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramo808
Fanfold Paper
Views: 21,027
Message 1 of 16

Yoga 2 Pro Battery not charging

My battery is at 0% available, plugged in charging, but it never goes about 0%. I've tried resetting the battery gauge in Energy Manger 1.0.1.49 but that only runs for a few seconds and reports that the gauge reset is complete. I've also disabled the ACPI control in device manager then enabling it and the icon appears to be charging but only for a few seconds then stops. Having conservation mode on or off doesn't seem to make any difference.

The latest BIOS is installed and I believe I have the latest version of Energy Manager.

Anyone else having this problem?

yangrytuna
Punch Card
Views: 20,918
Message 2 of 16

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Battery not charging

I've experienced this a couple times on my new Yoga 2 as well. The first instance, it just started charging again after about an hour of use. The second time, I rebooted after about an hour of it being plugged in and not charging, and once I reached the desktop, the battery showed 43%, but still not charging.. So i guess it was actually charging the whole time without showing it?
After about 2 days of ownership, I've decided to do a clean install of windows 8.1 followed by loading all the necessary drivers listed on lenovo's product page, and I can happily say this 0% plugged in not charging thing hasn't happened again.

ramo808
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,898
Message 3 of 16

I just did a factory restore using Onekey and my battery is still not charging. I've installed all the drivers on the support page except for the Energy Manager since my version is newer 1.0.1.51. Not sure what eles I can do.

yangrytuna
Punch Card
Views: 20,886
Message 4 of 16

Have you unplugged and replugged since all of that? After my clean install,
it actually still wasn't charging until I unplugged and plugged back in.
Also, I don't believe a factory restore would help - all the bloatware
would still be present and if its caused by software or driver issues from
the bloatware then you essentially have done nothing. Its a bit of a hassle
but a clean install is definitely worth it

ramo808
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,876
Message 5 of 16

It was unplugged all last night and I just replugged it when I woke up. Still not charging. How did you do a clean install? I may try this once my vaction is over.

yangrytuna
Punch Card
Views: 20,869
Message 6 of 16

download an iso of windows 8.1, make a bootable usb using a utility like Rufus with the iso (make sure usb is in FAT32 format or it won't boot. If for some reason the utility only formats to NTFS like in my case, then copy the files out of the usb, manually format to FAT32 and transfer files back on), plug in, boot from usb, and install. I'll save you a lot of painful searching and link you to the particular windows 8.1 iso that our OEM laptops require for fresh installs. Don't worry about inputting windows 8.1 product key, the installation will automatically detect it from the bios. Here's the link: http://www.demonoid.ph/files/details/2996170/0/?load_bal=001007072417&show_files=1&page=1&ref=139694...

It's probably good practice to verify the hash before installing

ramo808
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,852
Message 7 of 16

What do you mean by verifying the hash? I tried the download but the file was only 383k so I think I downloaded the wrong file. It was an exe file and not an iso.

I'm gonna stop messing around with this problem for now until my vacation is over. Trying to download updates over hotel wifi is slow. Anwayay, thanks for your help yangrytuna!

yangrytuna
Punch Card
Views: 20,851
Message 8 of 16

It's a torrent, copy and paste "magnet:#######..." Into address bar of your
browser. If you have a torrent client installed like utorrent or
bittorrent, pasting the magnet link into your browser should automatically
initiate the download from the torrent client. Don't do it on the hotel
Wi-Fi, it'll be extremely slow, if they even allow torrenting at all.
verifying the hash assures you the file you downloaded hasn't been tampered
with (a good idea since this will be your operating system). It's the sha1
code on the bottom

ramo808
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,798
Message 9 of 16

Energy Manager is now reporting my battery is damaged. I will call support when my vacation is over. I've had this computer for only a month. So disappointed.

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 20,789
Message 10 of 16

Energy Manager is a piece of junk.

Open it> click the expand button (3 lines with 3 dots, top right of the battery gauge) > settings >disable conservation mode (should be grey, not orange). Once done, click on maintenance guide> gauge reset> wait a day or 2 till the gauge is reset> uninstall the EM and then reinstall the newest version I posted a while ago (search for it). Upon installing, make sure the conservation mode did not turn on by default.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors