Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

22 Posts

08-03-2014

New York

31 Signins

233 Page Views

• Views: 233
  • Message 1 of 10

Yoga 2 Pro- Best browser in your experience? (Image Scaling)

2014-08-04, 17:14 PM

As many of you Y2P owners have no doubt noticed, a number of third party apps look... off when viewign them on the Y2P because the screen is a higher resolution than they're optimized for. Unfortunately, Chrome is one of those apps. Considering that I've been on Chrome on the mac I used to use (Just switched to Windows with the Y2P) and the android phone and tablet that I own, I was hoping to keep that going here on my Y2P. Sadly, Chrome doesn't quite scale right with everything , particularly text, looking fuzzy in desktop mode, and that being the case I've switched off of it.

At this point, the only two browsers that seem to scale correctly are IE 11 and Firefox, though I'm open to suggestions for other options that I'm not aware of. To my fellow Y2P owners, do you use Firefox? IE? Or just suck it up and use some third party borswer, odd scaling and all? I'm using firefox, but for whatever reason it chooses to load certain webpages completely, then immeadiately redirect me to that website's "page not found" screen, and Youtube thumbnails are still scaled incorrectely and therefore are borderline unuseable so I'm debating just dealing with IE since IE 11 isn't nearlay as bad as everyone says, but I wanted to post here and see if any others had some suggestions.

Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Views: 25513
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Yoga 2 Pro- Best browser in your experience? (Image Scaling)

2014-08-04, 17:46 PM

I use firefox because I hate how ie sees each tab as a new window. I also love my AdBlock Plus. However, the touch functionality on firefox stinks. Pinch to zoom is very choppy or simply does not work. Also, unlike chrome, there is no swipe to go back.

Each has their pros and cons.

IE lacks extension, creates a stupid windows for every tab, but works amazing with touch.

Chrome: Touch is amazing too, but lacks DPI support.

Firefox, Touch sucks, but the rest is good.

Might try Opera soon.

Options

22 Posts

08-03-2014

New York

31 Signins

233 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2014-08-04, 17:52 PM

Don't waste your time with Opera, just gave it a go, had the same issue on the Y2P as Chrome- Terrible Scaling. In fact, I think it was more apparent on Opera than it was on Chrome.

I dont really like how each tab is a new window with IE, but I don't hate it either. Functionally it's kind of useful to be able to open the tab I want if I minimize but I can see why it's annoying. I also happen to like the IE Metro app, just wish it had better (read: any) plugin support.

I do miss my Add Blocker Plus...

Options

142 Posts

01-01-2014

georgia

463 Signins

4214 Page Views

• Views: 4214
  • Message 4 of 10

2014-08-04, 20:57 PM

FYI, Chrome Beta (and dev/canary) supports HiDPI just fine now. However not sure if you have to force the registry to enable HiDPI anymore (it was needed as of a few months ago). http://code.ecomerc.com/Articles/ChromeHIDPI/ChromeHIDPI.reg wil do this for you. Once enabled the text is no longer fuzzy and menus/icons look good.

However Chrome release/beta still has the 1MS timer issues which chews through your battery. Chrome Canary is being updated to restore the time back to the standard 15ms which IE and FFuses, but I don't think the work is done. Eventually this will all be rolled into the release channel so if REALLY want to use Chrome, you can but if you are patient then wait for the release channel to get all this.

More background here http://www.christopherprice.net/chrome-37-38-may-be-worth-the-beta-bugs-2690.html

Options

22 Posts

08-03-2014

New York

31 Signins

233 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2014-08-12, 13:26 PM
The funny thing is over the last couple weeks since I've gotten the computer, I've really gotten used to using IE 11 and honestly, it's fine. Like there's nothing special about it but I have no issues with it either. Everything is clean, and now that it supports addblocker plus it supports the one add-on/extension that I gave a crap about do I'm in no rush to be using the beta versions of chrome.

I'd be more inclined to jump back on the chrome bandwagon if I still used it as my mobile browser on my M8 and my Nexus 7 but since I've just discovered better alternatives for those two machines as well, the syncing doesn't even matter to me anymore.
Options

41 Posts

08-10-2014

Thailand, a couple hours south of Bangkok

63 Signins

2136 Page Views

• Views: 2136
  • Message 6 of 10

2014-08-16, 0:37 AM

>>"Don't waste your time with Opera, just gave it a go, had the same issue on the Y2P as Chrome- Terrible Scaling. In fact, I think it was more apparent on Opera than it was on Chrome."<<

I'm assuming you installed the current version of Opera, which is a Chromium based browser just like Google Chrome.  Try a "classic" version of Opera:  http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?ver=12.17 and maybe it would be better?

Any Opera version higher than 12.x is Chromium based.  I'm just curious how "classic" Opera works on the Y2P.  I use Opera 12.17 as my main browser, but sadly more and more sites are not compatible with it.  In those cases I use Comodo Dragon, a Chromium browswer but without the Google snooping & tracking.  (I like Dragon because of the "virtualization mode" where you can open it in a sandbox.) I should have my hands on a new Y2P in about five days, so if you don't want to be a guinea pig, I will be.  :-)

103 Posts

03-10-2014

Cologne

189 Signins

1750 Page Views

• Views: 1750
  • Message 7 of 10

2014-08-16, 1:17 AM

I've sent my Y2P back to support (had some sd card and usb 3.0 issues), but I was using Firefox.

For user experience it's all great. But not for the battery. It consumed 75~% of the battery for all programs I used.

Really bad. But I still had 8.5~ hours battery life. I will make a new thread how when my machine returns.

Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Views: 25513
  • Message 8 of 10

2014-08-16, 2:20 AM
Firefox desktop sucks when using the touch screen. To zoom in and out is a mission with choppy affects. I ended up moving to chrome inspite my initial problems.
Options

131 Posts

02-02-2013

United States of America

467 Signins

8072 Page Views

• Views: 8072
  • Message 9 of 10

2014-11-20, 10:42 AM

hello. ooooh. kaiser121 i like to try browsers. i am not a yoga user, but we are all browser user. The central browser becomes more important every day. i am so surprised that someone has not ripped off a long wikilist of browsers to try! direct recommendation is risky ? in public forum? with ie10 ie moved to the top again in my book. ie11 lately is letting me down. firefox just became usable again when it hit v.29 There has been many version changes since the first post open. recently i think f irefx 31 was better page control than 33. i prefer k-meleon. I cannot report on yoga view, but i will mention some browsers that can always appreciate feedback on any. Opera was changing its engine when you tried it. things change quickly. what do you judge? will convenient use of zoom help any of you? does full screen [F11] suit any of you? (if you are learning new habits then maybe full screen is for you) in F11 you cannot tell what browser you are in; it just works. font style and size make difference? using Modern version? desktop version? so resizing is a major concern? there is more specialized browsers than these. some security configuring and some include file manager. I'd like any comment about liking any one.
 What is looking best on your yoga today? :)
k-meleon(74), qupzilla(1.8.4), slimboat(1.1.53), OperaNext(26)

can hardly believe kept list to four. what is on your trial list that you can tell us about?

find joy.
Options

131 Posts

02-02-2013

United States of America

467 Signins

8072 Page Views

• Views: 8072
  • Message 10 of 10

2015-08-11, 8:25 AM

hello. browser front still the three Big Stable Frontrunners. The newest release upon Us is

Microsoft Edge. Look for new releases upcoming by browser vivaldi and upcoming by

kmeleonbrowser.

How does the touchscreen influence your choice of browser use? Are you finding

Microsoft Edge suitable? 

What is looking best on Your yoga today?  :robothappy:

find joy.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms