Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xfea
Blue Screen Again
Views: 21,027
Message 1 of 103

Yoga 2 Pro Cracked Screen and more....

I ordered a Yoga 2 Pro direct from LENOVO very late December - delivered around January 1st.

I didn't have the time to unpack and examine for about a week.

I unpacked and first turn on the computer around January 7...and over the next few days spent just a brief amount of time setting it up, updating, etc.

My time playing with the computer was brief...just 30-45 minutes every other day or so..nothing more than a general look and feel.

I was impressed with the look and feel...the build quality and performance.

Over the weekend things changed for the worse....I was working with the unit in my living room in the morning....closed the lid...placed in on the coffee table.

Later in the afternoon - some 4-5 hours later....I sat down, picked up the Yoga 2 Pro, and in short order noticed a crack extending from top left - just at the end of the LENOVO name - down to the middle of the bottom.

The Yoga 2 was treated with white glove delicacy the entire time since it left it's box.

I currently have numerous laptops (including 2 LENOVO) and tablets...from APPLE, ACER, LENOVO, AMAZON, etc.

I have never experienced anything like it.

The ONLY ideas I can come up with fall into two categories:

1 - the design is inherently flawed.

There is noticeable flex in the unit - both the keyboard and screen - yes - it is minimal (I never twisted or stressed it in anyway beyond gentle normal operation.  Perhaps the glass can't handle it?  Maybe theglasssize / installissuchthatitcan'thandlethenormalstress?

2 - The unit has issues with thermal expansion.

During the 4-5 hours when the laptop was on my coffee table - the sun had come through the window and warmed my coffee table and everything on it.  The Yoga 2 was noticeably very warm when I sat down to work on it.  I thought I heard a very faint 'crack' or 'snap' sound as I was opening the screen..Though I can't be sure.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

I called LENOVO this morning and have shipped the unit back for a full refund.

The other 'issue' was the native resolution - running programs and apps.

The screen is very hi resolution and looks good.  (though it was on the dark side .... even with max brightness darker areas of photos / videos loose distinction...everything goes to black...maybe I could have adjusted otherwise but never got the chance...)

Chrome browser running as a WIN 8 app is useless....the font is so tiny you need jewlers loops to see anything - and trying to use a fingertip for navigation is impossible.

The same for other funtions...yes, the very high resolution is great  -but usability is very limited and will require running in a lower - non native resolution if youy want to run applications / software.

Thanks

Dannynutdude
What's DOS?
Views: 20,798
Message 2 of 103

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Cracked Screen and more....

Hi, I too have had the same problem. I had received my Lenovo Yoga 2 "Pro" today and when I first put it on my lap and opened it, I heard a crack. Oh what a traumatising sound it was. I investigated further and found that I had the same crack as yours. From the Lenovo sign all the way to the middle...

I'm pretty sure the Yoga 2 "Pro" isn't so much of a Pro after all. The build quality is something out of a $500 laptop. The ridiculously thin glass and the bendy plastic isn't ideal at all, the Lenovo team clearly did not know how to design a laptop. I mean afterall, this is Lenovo "the king of laptops". 

The reason why I am so offensive is because I had an unforgettable experience with my Surface 2 a couple of months ago. On the same day I received it the device crashed. I took it to a separate serviceman because Microsoft couldn't be bothered to have proper worldwide support. The Nvidia Tegra processor was faulty. You know, it always baffles me why Apple is considered the best. It's because it is, come to think of it. I have NEVER heard of a hardware issue out of ANY Apple device. The build quality on Apple devices is so professionally made, so professionally examined that it is completely out of Lenovo's league. No company can compete with Apple on build quality. 

Apple are professional unlike Lenovo.

Dan

Larryj
What's DOS?
Views: 20,628
Message 3 of 103

I purchased a second Yoga 2 Pro for my wife in Dec 2013.  It has a cracked screen after 2 months of very light use and no abuse.  It has never been dropped.  Mostly sits on her desk at home. Sent to Lenovo for repair in March.  It is not covered.  Paying $300 to get the screen fixed.

synchronos
Paper Tape
Views: 20,600
Message 4 of 103

Yes, I also got my screen cracked. On the first day. I think I raised the laptop a bit from the camera area (no more force than when turning the screen lid) and then, a faint crack sound, and then I discovered a crack extending from the center of the top edge to the almost top of the right edge. Great. It seems the design is flawed. Thin plastic covers with no Gorilla Glass. I now quite regret buying this otherwise great machine.

synchronos
Paper Tape
Views: 20,592
Message 5 of 103

I also have to add, the touchscreen stopped working in the cracked corner of the screen. I now hate this machine.

savingfox
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,857
Message 6 of 103

broken display ?? Yoga 2 Pro

Hey,

i bought my yoga 2 pro last year,

yesterday i spotted a white line in the right bot corner. [picture]

theres no damage at the outer glass and i dont remember any "accident" or something like that.

My question is if this is a hardware issue or could it also be a software problem.

Or is it possible that a halo looks like this.

Has anyone seen something like this.

Sorry for my bad englisch Smiley Embarassed

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

wesley20850
Punch Card
Views: 15,815
Message 7 of 103

Re: broken display ?? Yoga 2 Pro

It's most likely hardware, not software, but I could be wrong. Try bringing your laptop back if you still have the warranty.

nmbrown1965
What's DOS?
Views: 20,442
Message 8 of 103

I'm living this very same situation right now.  I bought my lenovo March 31.  Didn't use it for about two weeks as I was busy and needed to transfer files from my previous laptop.  I travel and this was a perfect solution for me.  I was in the airport working on my yoga when I noticed the swipe and touch functions weren't consistent.  I figured it was windows 8.1 flaking out.  Shortly after I noticed a strand of hair on the screen.  I went to brush it off, loe and behold, a crack from the middle left arching up to the top center.  According to lenovo, I damaged it.  I contend it is a defective machine or a design defect. Not happy.

DanSolo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 20,416
Message 9 of 103

Unless these reports are spread across many threads, this must be quite a rare occurrence? What exactly is the glass on the Y2P?
georgef3
What's DOS?
Views: 20,334
Message 10 of 103

My daughter dropped her Yoga 2 Pro and the touchscreen is cracked.  Any idea what Lenovo Service will charge?  I have seen estimates on this forum from $300 to $650.

Thanks!

@Larryj wrote:

I purchased a second Yoga 2 Pro for my wife in Dec 2013.  It has a cracked screen after 2 months of very light use and no abuse.  It has never been dropped.  Mostly sits on her desk at home. Sent to Lenovo for repair in March.  It is not covered.  Paying $300 to get the screen fixed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors