Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tyrande101
What's DOS?
Views: 17,202
Message 1 of 18

Yoga 2 Pro: Enable keyboard in tablet mode

Hi everyone. I'm very new here. I just got my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro i7 8GB last month. And I'm wondering if it's possible for the keyboard to be enabled while in tablet mode. Since I wanna make it as my external keyboard and I'm gonna use an external monitor for bigger screen through MicroHDMI-HDMI connection. Please let me know how to do it. I hope someone can help me here. Thank you

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,989
Message 2 of 18

Re: Yoga 2 Pro: Enable keyboard in tablet mode

Follow this post: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-2-Pro-Screen-Rotation/td-p/1503752

Once we figure out what program fixes his issue, you just got to uninstall the program in question. 

Kafkaesqui
Blue Screen Again
Views: 16,975
Message 3 of 18

I've noted here before there is a controller for this, but likely hardware-based and not part of the ymc (Yoga Mode Control) or any other service, and I've not found a way access it to set the keyboard to remain on in tablet mode.

riquez
What's DOS?
Views: 16,344
Message 4 of 18

Did you find a solution for that?
volanchik
What's DOS?
Views: 16,223
Message 5 of 18

hey! I have the same question! I want to use keyboard with external screen - how to enable keyboard while using tablet mode?

Highlighted
volanchik
What's DOS?
Views: 16,222
Message 6 of 18

did you find an answer?

riquez
What's DOS?
Views: 16,218
Message 7 of 18

Lenovo support is deliberately avoiding to answer this question.

Either can't be done because is an hardware issue or they are ignoring our request considering it as not important.

Even if it can't be done it'd be useful for us to know anyway!

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,199
Message 8 of 18

The ymc.exe service controls the keyboard in all modes except tablet mode. If you disable the ymc.exe, you can use the keyboard in other modes, except tablet mode.

If you can sandbox the ymc.exe service and tell me the command it uses to re-enable the keyboard in laptop mode, I can make you guys a special program.

ymc.exe is found in: C:\ProgramData\LenovoTransition\Server\x64

Avast sandboxing won't capture it and I don't want to install different programs till I find one that does (especially since I don't need this feature).

riquez
What's DOS?
Views: 16,144
Message 9 of 18

Thank You Indest! I can't help you as I am a linux user.

I've installed Gnome Ubuntu 14.04 on my Y2P and I'm facing the same issue as windows users.

Keyboard is disabled in tablet mode for me too. That's why I've been thinking that is because of an hardware configuration rather than software.

Anyway, if there is any window user willing to help, that would be great.

Much better if Lenovo FINALLY ANSWERS this question!!! Boy, that's not a customer oriented approach. Rewrite your corporate brochures and take out that you care about customers. Lol Smiley Very Happy
ricoRiquez
What's DOS?
Views: 14,921
Message 10 of 18

I recenty accidentaly discovered that my Yoga 2 Pro carry 1 or 2 magnets inside its body.

I guess they’re used with a magnetic switch in the body to sense when the lid has been closed, but also when it's in tablet mode.

So I figured out a workaround to use my Yoga 2 Pro as a a keyboard with an external monitor.

I bought a small magnet and place it beside the CapsLk button and it works. Now I can use my Yoga 2 pro keyboard connected to a monitor through HDMI also when in tablet mode  Smiley Happy

I now that is not what you were looking for as is far from perfect, but hey it does the job Smiley Wink

I took a picture:

Yoga 2 with keyboard enabled in tablet mode

A closer look at the magnet I placed on the laptop:

The small magnet that does the trick

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors