Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anasuya26
What's DOS?
Views: 4,184
Message 11 of 18

Re: Yoga 2 Pro: Enable keyboard in tablet mode

Thanks ricoRiquez!

Can you tell me at what point you introduced the magnet beside the capslock key? *after* folding over the laptop or before you started folding it into tablet mode? ie, the magnet is always placed beside the capslock key even before it's completely folded into tablet mode.

I tried your solution and while my mousepad/keypad works in tablet mode when I hook it up to an external monitor, I can't get my keyboard to work. Did you do anything else apart from placing the magnet? Any programs you altered or deleted?

Also, what cable are you using to connect your laptop to the monitor?

ricoRiquez
What's DOS?
Views: 4,182
Message 12 of 18

>>Can you tell me at what point you introduced the magnet beside the capslock key? *after* folding over the laptop or before you started folding it into tablet mode?<<

I place it after folding over the laptop

>>ie, the magnet is always placed beside the capslock key even before it's completely folded into tablet mode.<<

No. First I startup the Yoga, then when the OS load I connect the HDMI cable. Last I fold it into tablet mode and place the magnet.

I also have the keyboard backlight (fn+spacebar) always on, so I can see when the magnet is doing the trick or not. In fact when the keyboard is disabled the backlight turns off.

>>I tried your solution and while my mousepad/keypad works in tablet mode when I hook it up to an external monitor, I can't get my keyboard to work. Did you do anything else apart from placing the magnet? Any programs you altered or deleted?<<

The magnet's pull has to be strong enough. I found my sweet spot besides the Capslk key. I tried several smaller magnets and they didn't work at all.

Also test each side of the magnet. Mine works only on one side.

I did not deleted any program. Actually I use Ubuntu but it should work with windows, too. I have a dual boot with Windows 8.1 so I'll test it with that OS, too.

>>Also, what cable are you using to connect your laptop to the monitor?<<

I use this one but from a different vendor: http://www.mhpcomputerservices.com/shop/mhp-1-5m-micro-hdmi-to-standard-hdmi-cable-micro-type-d-to-t...

anasuya26
What's DOS?
Views: 4,177
Message 13 of 18

Alright. I will try out your suggestions.
Hopefully I can get to this sweet state too! Thanks! Smiley Happy
tbot2112
What's DOS?
Views: 3,464
Message 14 of 18

I found a software solution!  You have to disable the HID sensor collection in Device Manager.  I just tried it and it works.

credit: http://askubuntu.com/questions/511938/how-to-enable-keyboard-when-yoga-pad-2-is-folded-as-a-tablet

gypsy_yoga
Paper Tape
Views: 3,398
Message 15 of 18

@tbot2112 wrote:

I found a software solution!  You have to disable the HID sensor collection in Device Manager.  I just tried it and it works.

credit: http://askubuntu.com/questions/511938/how-to-enable-keyboard-when-yoga-pad-2-is-folded-as-a-tablet

Didn't work for me.  Keyboard still not working in tablet mode.

Zal777Zero
What's DOS?
Views: 2,719
Message 16 of 18

I got it working! It was a first try. I simply had a spare magnet in shape of a flat donut, and place it near the Cap lock button. I first turn on the laptop, connect the HDMI cable, turn the laptop to tablet mode, and then place the magnet in place to enable keyboard. At first, the keyboard's lights will turn off as soon as you flip to tablet mode, but it will run back on when placing the magnet. 

jbluez13
What's DOS?
Views: 2,185
Message 17 of 18

I actually have a Yoga 3 Pro 1370 and found that the magnet did work for me but just not in the location as mentioned here.

For me, I was able to get the keyboard to work while folded if I placed the magnet on the right side of the keyboard, to the right of the delete button.  There was a sweet spot there to get it just right, but it works.  Now I can use my external monitor with the laptop keyboard.

Lenovo should work to make this a feature that you can choose to keep the keyboard operational while technically in tablet mode for people that want to use an external monitor.

ebray187
Paper Tape
Views: 842
Message 18 of 18

Thanks!!

I can confirm that this also work with the Yoga 310.

You have to attach the magnet by the side face, just below the power button:

IMG_20180519_063854.jpg

My steps to find the correct spot:

First put the Yoga on the normal position with the HDMI cable attached

Then press the Caps lock so its led is on

Now put the yoga on tablet position

Move the magnet and press the caps lock. You find it when the led turn off.

Good luck!

(Sorry my bad english)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors