Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wesley20850
Punch Card
Views: 25,598
Message 1 of 31

Yoga 2 Pro Energy Manager: Conservation Mode and Express Charging

I just have a few questions about how conservation mode and express charging work. These two are located in Energy Manager under settings.

Conservation mode keeps the battery percent at 55-60%. How is this done? Does the computer discharge until 55% and then charge back up to 60%? Also, if the computer is off, but the AC adapter is left in, will the computer still remain between 55 and 60%? Are there any detrimental effects on the battery?

Express charging allows the computer to be fully charged in 100 minutes. How is this done? Why is this feature not enabled by default? Are there any detrimental effects on the battery?

Thank you!

Guru
Guru
Views: 25,481
Message 2 of 31

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Energy Manager: Conservation Mode and Express Charging

Read a few articles on how to treat a battery properly. This I found a decent article.

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-w-513217256

If the computer is turned off, your laptop will still remain between 55 and 60%.

Express charging generates excessive heat, can make the battery die slightly faster. It's done by allowing more current to flow to the battery. But generally the more you keep your battery cool, the longer it will live.

There are plenty of articles like the one above on Google some are more brief, some are more in-depth and more difficult to understand.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

mthomas4
Paper Tape
Views: 25,469
Message 3 of 31

Thanks Jonas

Useful info for sure, some which I didn't know before.  My particular question is a bit different...I see people in this post recommending "Conservation Mode" on the Yoga 2 Pro to preserve the battery.  I'd use it, but I can't find it anywhere, either by the Windows 8.1 Search or even googling.  None of the power plans on my machine are called "Conservation Mode".  No matter which one I choose, my Yoga charges up to 100% when I plug it in.

Mike

wesley20850
Punch Card
Views: 25,436
Message 4 of 31

Mike,

The settings for Conservation Mode are located in the Energy Manager.

If you open Energy Manager and click on the menu button (looks like 3 dots and 3 lines) and then on settings (last tab) you can turn on Conservation Mode.

mthomas4
Paper Tape
Views: 25,425
Message 5 of 31

Thank you Wesley20850

Found it... a cool Lenovo feature, not part of Windows 8.1.  The quick zoom in and out feature hidden inside the Energy Manager, using Fn + and Fn -,  is also very handy to see the tiny print on the Yoga screen.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

drdominee
Paper Tape
Views: 25,366
Message 6 of 31

Glad to find this information. Just got my P2P two days ago and this was worrying me. So, what is the best way to get the battery fully charged when one wants to use the machine on battery for the maximum amount of time? Is turning off the Energy Manager setting the only way, or is there another way? I would love a little app that I could click and make it charge my battery to 100% when I need it. Also, is there a way to slowly charge it to 100%, since fast charging apparently reduces batterly life over time?

wesley20850
Punch Card
Views: 25,342
Message 7 of 31

The best way to get the battery fully charged is just normally charging it. You can always enable express charging if you really need a fast charge, but this will reduce battery life faster over time.

Conservation mode in Energy Manager might be able to do what you want. If you turn it on the battery remains between 55 and 60 percent, which is perfect if you are connected to the AC adapter for long periods of time. If you turn off Conservation Mode the device will charge to 100 percent when you need it to.

dauyoga2pro
Paper Tape
Views: 25,000
Message 8 of 31

I only got the computer for a month and it only charge up to 72%.  Somehow I don't see the conservation mode setting from Energy Manger.  The Express Charging is set to off.  I'm not sure if there are dofferent version of the Energy Manager. Any idea?

Thanks

Highlighted
wesley20850
Punch Card
Views: 24,970
Message 9 of 31

Is your Energy Manager up to date? Lenovo released an Energy Manager update on November 13th.

Look at this website: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS038317

Look under Power Management and download and install the Energy Manager update.

dauyoga2pro
Paper Tape
Views: 24,940
Message 10 of 31

I download the latest one now but unfortunately it still does not fix 72% only full charge.   I was fully charge to 100% when I first got the computer just one month ago and all in sudden it is clamp at 72% max and never move beyond. 

Appreciated if anyone has suggestion.

Top Kudoed Authors