Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ihaveabu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,580
Message 1 of 29

Yoga 2 Pro Issue with Headphone jack and USB 3.0 external hdd not recognized

Just picked up my Yoga 2 Pro from best buy. Updated all drivers and BIOS, and the yellow screen issue does seem to be fixed. Thank you Lenovo!

Now, sometimes when I plug my headphones in, no sound will play on the headphones. Realtek recognizes that I plugged in headphones, but no sound will play through them. When I restart the computer it works fine.

Also, I have a USB 3.0 external HDD. I use this harddrive without any issues on my Lenovo Y400 using the USB 3.0 port. 

The external HDD is a Rosewill RX-358 V2 Silver. There's no drivers or anything from the manufacturer and I did not need to install any drivers on my Y400.

After plugging it into the USB 3.0 port of the Yoga 2 Pro, the computer seems to recognize it, but doesn't install any drivers and under My PC (My Computer) an external drive does show up, but does not allow me to open or access it. After a few more tries the drive icon doesn't even show up nor does the drive spool up when I plug it in.

However, plugging the external hdd into the USB 2.0 port works just fine. Windows instantly recognized the drive.

I have tried USB 2.0 flash drives with the USB 3.0 port so as far as I can tell the port is not broken.

Please help

ihaveabu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,524
Message 2 of 29

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Issue with Headphone jack and USB 3.0 external hdd not recognized

anyone?
gforaker
Punch Card
Views: 13,523
Message 3 of 29

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Issue with Headphone jack and USB 3.0 external hdd not recognized

If I had to guess, I'd say it was a flakey cable.

ihaveabu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,515
Message 4 of 29

the USB cable? Works just fine on my y400 and just fine on the usb 2.0 port...
Zoot
Token Ring
Views: 13,494
Message 5 of 29

Do you have another USB 3 device to try? The fact that USB 2 devices work in your USB 3 port does not say much about whether the extra connectors/wires for USB 3, and the associated parts of the USB 3 controller are working.

Z.

dan5505
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,488
Message 6 of 29

I had the same problem with my headphones.  The sound will come back if you mute and unmute from the keyboard.  

I am finding that an even better solution is to uninstall the realtek driver and revert back to the windows driver.  I had static in the line with the realtek driver but the windows driver works great.

ihaveabu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,477
Message 7 of 29

Hmm I just ordered a USB 3.0 flash drive from Amazon so I could try it when it arrives.
ihaveabu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,429
Message 8 of 29

USB 3.0 flash drives work just fine. 

I have tried uninstalling the USB Mass Storeage driver and reinstalling. I have also tried uninstalling the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)

Restarting reinstalled both of them and the drive still doesn't get recognized.

Usually plugging it in causes the drive to spin up. When I plug it into the USB 3.0 port it doesn't even spin up...

dudko
What's DOS?
Views: 13,322
Message 9 of 29

Exactly the same problem here with Adata 1TB USB 3.0 external HDD. If I should guess the drive is a little bit more power hungry and laptop is not able to power it while running on battery. Did you try to attach the drive while your Yoga was charging?

ihaveabu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,313
Message 10 of 29

Yea with power cord attached and running on battery.

I returned my yoga and got a surface pro 2. The same hard drive works fine lol

Top Kudoed Authors