Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canhantas
Paper Tape
Views: 55,485
Message 1 of 30

Yoga 2 Pro - Keyboard Not Working

My issue is that the keyboard of my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro disables itself intermittently in Laptop Mode. I purchased this laptop (i7 cpu, 256GB SSD, 8GB memory) from BB a week ago and get it replaced twice (3 different units) and all had the same issue.  Case of the first one I purchased was also cracked on the rear side. I powered the laptop to test it before I return it. Then I realized this keyboard issue. I was using it in laptop mode and keyboard backlight was going off by itself. First I thought it was just the backlight but keys were not functioning as well. Touchpad and Touchscreen were still functional. Time to time keyboard came back to life by itself and sometimes I needed to restart couple of times to get it work. 

Next day I went to another BB store to get it replaced (the one I burchased was the last unit in other store). So I also got the last unit in this other BB store and went to school. After my classes I realised this one had the same keyboard issue. I checked if I had latest BIOS, drivers and software and updated everything. But there was no solution. I called lenovo tech support and the guy on the phone told me that it seems like a hardware issue and suggested me to get it replaced again via BB. I didn't think that it was a hardware issue. It seemed to me like the sensors drivers or firmware were thinking that I put the yoga in tablet mode and was disableing keyboard even in laptop mode. I tried uninstalling yoga software , disabling services such as YMC and intel thermal and power management from bios etc. etc. These things seemed to lower the number of issues but still keyboard was disableing itself time to time.

I went BB again to get another one. But of course I had to find another store that have the exact same model (and of course they had only one unit). I went and get that one. Guess what? It is same. I tried everythin. Installed my own copy of Windows 8.1 Pro and didn't install any lenovo software etc. Didnt work. I recovered to factory OS still same. I called lenovo tech support again to find some help. Only thing they could recommend me was to send the laptop for repair but I can not simply live without computer (I am computer science PhD. student need it access to a computer all the time). 

I like the laptop so much and honestly I couldn't find another brand model with very high resolution screen i7 processor at least 8gb memory and 256GB ssd etc at this priice range.  So I want to be able to use it. But every other minute or hour the keyboard disables itself. With the latest unit I got moving the lid (pushing and pulling screen back and forth) seems to help sometimes. Also tilting the laptop some times works.

Is there anyone else having this kind of issues? And more importantly is there anyone who managed to solve it?

I do not want to talk to tech support again. If possible I want to get in touch with some people from Lenovo software and drivers team so that I can help them diagnose the issue and test beta software firmware they might have.

PS: Why no bios/driver update for last couple of months?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 55,151
Message 2 of 30

Re: Yoga 2 Pro - Keyboard Not Working

Sorry to hear that you are going through so much for the Y2P. Mine's fine however mine is the i5 version. You might want to try that instead?

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
canhantas
Paper Tape
Views: 55,086
Message 3 of 30

I already gave up trying to make it work and exchanged it with the brand with the fruit sign. I wish there was an easy solution. I had been using lenovo for a long time. I still have my decent Ideapad Y470. But fruid brand was the only other option with high resolution display at BB. I could have given a chance to I5 version but I didnt wanted to spend more time on it.

weatherman
What's DOS?
Views: 54,903
Message 4 of 30

Is there any resolution to this issue? I've been having this problem too, with a Pro 2 that I bought last month. Seems like it might be related to either the driver or the sensor that detects when the screen is folded back. 

RojasTKD
Punch Card
Views: 54,649
Message 5 of 30

After about a month and a half of ownership, my keyboard stopped working last night.

It happened after got an update for Intel Management Engine. I don't know if that's related to the problem or not. Uninstalling and installing the old driver did not fix the issue though.

It's to late to return or exchange with BB, So I'll be contacting Lenovo soon.
indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 54,643
Message 6 of 30

@RojasTKD wrote:
After about a month and a half of ownership, my keyboard stopped working last night.

It happened after got an update for Intel Management Engine. I don't know if that's related to the problem or not. Uninstalling and installing the old driver did not fix the issue though.

It's to late to return or exchange with BB, So I'll be contacting Lenovo soon.

Preform a system restore to yesterday, b4 the IME update.

RojasTKD
Punch Card
Views: 54,628
Message 7 of 30

I did a system restore to factory. During setup i was able to toe in my password. I can can even enter my password in the lick screen, but once past the lock screen the keyboard becomes useless. The only keys that work are the shortcuts of

at the top row (volume, backlight, airplane mode...).

VERY frustrating!

RojasTKD
Punch Card
Views: 54,619
Message 8 of 30

Well, even though the system restore didn't fix my keyboard issue initually. I'm happy to report that after the third (or fourth) re-boot everything seems to be working now.

I'm not sure what the "Intel Management Engine" is, but I don't think I will update the driver again... in case that was indeed the culprit.

kranitz
What's DOS?
Views: 54,546
Message 9 of 30

As stupid as it sounds, try folding the laptop fully into tablet mode, then fold it back to regular mode. This has been working for one of my clients.

NOT a driver issue - definitely a physical issue. Hopefully the folding back/forth continues to work.

(and since I'm a support resource, this kind of stuff makes me look bad when I recommend it to a client: "Yes, it is possibly the coolest laptop available on the market, but you just have to deal with a few issues like keyboard randomly stopping working and the wireless driver load intermittently not working after waking the laptop up. Other than those two minor issues, it's a great laptop!!" Smiley Wink

weatherman
What's DOS?
Views: 54,542
Message 10 of 30

Yes, this works but it's a pain in the neck. I might just have to return the unit for a physical repair if it keeps happening.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors