Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maverick827
Paper Tape
Views: 4,504
Message 1 of 10

Yoga 2 Pro - Loud Fan, Always On

Right out of the box, my Yoga 2 Pro had one major flaw: the fan is really loud and it's pretty much always on.

Right now I'm using only Firefox and my CPU is running at 55C, my CPU usage is at 1% - 5%, and my fan sounds like a bicycle with a baseball card stuck in the spokes.  I can hear it over a pretty loud TV in my living room. 

If I close the lid, then it turns off.

From what I'm reading on these forums, this can't be normal.  I downloaded NoteBook FanControl and that works sometimes but not always.

Any advice?

Maverick827
Paper Tape
Views: 4,472
Message 2 of 10

Re: Yoga 2 Pro - Loud Fan, Always On

As a quick update/addition, this doesn't always happen. I restarted the computer right after I made this post, and now I'm playing a card game. My CPU is at 64C, but the fan is not on.
wankel7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,468
Message 3 of 10

I would uninstall Notebook Fan Control. My fan did funny things with that software running. When you unistall you will have to hold the power button at least 15 seconds to do a hard reset.

Did you have issues before NFC?

wilkster
802.11n
Views: 4,456
Message 4 of 10

If you just purchased the Y2P (I assume you did as you state "out of the box") I would return it. It sounds like you are hearing a clicking noise from the fan, which is probably faulty fan where the blades are hitting the housing or something like that.

Maverick827
Paper Tape
Views: 4,418
Message 5 of 10

Is there anything else I can try before I sending it back?  That sounds like a hassle.

Maverick827
Paper Tape
Views: 4,406
Message 6 of 10

After using it some more today, there is no doubt that the exhaust fan is just defective.  While there might also be defects with the software controlling it (turning the fan on with 1% CPU usage...), there is no way the sound coming out of it is anywhere near intended.

Where do I go to request service/replacement?  I cannot find any sort of form on this website to submit a request for repair.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,402
Message 7 of 10

Good day.

Sorry you're having problems.

Please call Service (contact info below) to discuss repairs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards.

United States
IDEA-branded and B, C, E, G, H, K, N, Q, V, Y Series Products

English
1-877-4-Lenovo, 1-877-453-6686

24 hours a day 7 days/week

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

wankel7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,398
Message 8 of 10

Did you uninstall Notebook Fan Control and do a hard reset?
riquez
What's DOS?
Views: 4,367
Message 9 of 10

I had the same problem and was annoyed by the fan. I also installed Ubuntu Gnome and the fan wasn't so loud.

So, in my case, I knew it wasn't the hardware as it happened mainly with Win8.

After some tries I was able to solve the problem unistalling a bunch of software.

In my case the worst was the preinstalled McAfee AV that was killing the fan.

After removing it I installed AVG and it was a lot better.

Maybe you can give it a try if McAfee was preinstalled on your machine, too.
blackmonkey
What's DOS?
Views: 1,926
Message 10 of 10

Today I turned on my laptop and it was unusually loud. The fans were spinning 100% all the time the laptop was on. It wasn't an overheat problem. The CPU temperature was around 40C. I have solved it by reinstalling Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drivers. There are 4 entries in the device manager. The first three are under Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework tab and the last is under System Devices tab called Intel Management Engine Interface. Delete the drivers, reload, reinstall (you can do it automatically), reload again. Hope this helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors