Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itanxh
Paper Tape
Views: 7,160
Message 1 of 7

Yoga 2 Pro Major Screen Flicker Followed by Black out

Hi,

Does anyone else get this issue? I don't think this is the same screen flicker that is experienced by the few others due to auto brightness problems...

It's flickering black and then the whole thing turns unresponsive after a while...and although the video shows it happening during a low light environment, i have had this encounter during a brightly lit area as well...

Any thoughts??

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwDCKNxZ1zwXTDFqejJ6aXNzM0k/edit?usp=sharing

I've posted a copy of what really happens on google drive.

Is this a case of motherboard problems? I jsut got my laptop about 3 weeks ago.

Any chance for a 1-1 exchange?

splus
Token Ring
Views: 7,167
Message 2 of 7

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Major Screen Flicker Followed by Black out

Can you go to Intel graphics control panel, press big power button, and then go to "on battery" tab. Is "Panel self refresh" option enabled? If it is then disable it. This option makes the panel consume less power, gives better battery life, but it has exact symptoms every now and then.

If you have stock Yoga graphics driver installed then download the newest one from Intel, install it and disable this option.

To install the new driver you'll have to uninstall the old one, otherwise it won't allow you to install the new one. To uninstall it go to Device manager, display driver properties, uninstall driver button.

If this doesn't work then I wouldn't know, probably is a hardware issue and better to try to get a replacement.

itanxh
Paper Tape
Views: 7,128
Message 3 of 7

Alright will give it a try and let you know! But it's an intermittent problem so if it doesn't work I'll be sure to post back as well! Any idea what's the cause of this panel refresh thing resulting in the flicker?

splus
Token Ring
Views: 7,086
Message 4 of 7

@itanxh wrote:

Alright will give it a try and let you know! But it's an intermittent problem so if it doesn't work I'll be sure to post back as well! Any idea what's the cause of this panel refresh thing resulting in the flicker?

I think the Panel self refresh option isn't even available in old stock Y2P Intel's drivers (modified by Lenovo). Probably because it doesn't work properly with Y2P, at least the way this option is made by Intel. Not yet.

It's just a driver issue, so we can hope Intel/Lenovo will make this option available in the next graphics driver update, and adjust the power parameters for Y2P's panel that obviously needs little more power than other panels.

Y2P's panel is a new tech with higher power consumption than most other panels. And obviously not extensively tried and checked in real life use. It looks like that lowering its power and changing the refresh rate can cause such blackenings and distortions. However, when this option is enabled I can get like 1 hour more battery life than without it. But then I get those strong flickers 2-3 times in 7-8 hours.

boxing_jame
What's DOS?
Views: 6,346
Message 5 of 7

I have exactly the same problem ... I got my yoga 2 pro 2 weeks ago and followed the instructions here : 

http://iamjstyle.hubpages.com/hub/Things-You-Must-Do-To-Your-Lenovo-Yoga-2-Pro

and updated the graphics driver and others ... facing the same problem ... any solutions to this ? 

Seems to be soemthing related to the driver i assume ? 

and also my yoga 2 pro is quite slow specially taking into consideration the hi-fi config it has .... have disabled a lot of startup at windows .. but still have some issues ... any leads there ??

nickferr
What's DOS?
Views: 4,044
Message 6 of 7

I tried disabling the Panel Self Refresh option in the "on battery" section but when I click disable the Intel Graphics Controller program crashes.

Birraque
802.11n
Views: 1,303
Message 7 of 7

If your Yoga 2 Pro (20266) has Screen Flicker, Shutdown, Sleep, Overheating, Tablet Slow CPU, Yellow Screen, WiFi & BT connection dropping, WiDi (Miracast) fails, Battery Drain Fast and other small issues running with Windows 10. I strongly recommend to read this tested and reliable Setup Guide.
Regards,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors