Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
i-am-andrew
Punch Card
Views: 8,303
Message 1 of 13

Yoga 2 Pro Max External Display Capabilities

Hello,

I would like to get an external monitor to use with my Yoga 2 Pro. Preferably I'd like to drive 2560 x 1440 @ 50 or 60Hz whilst keeping the Yoga 2 Pro's screen at 3200 x 1800 @ 60Hz.

Has anyone actually done this to be able to confirm it's possible? Or what is the best people have managed without reducing the internal display output?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Andrew

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 8,260
Message 2 of 13

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Max External Display Capabilities

Yoga 2 Pro uses HDMI 1.4 standards, so as long as your monitor supports HDMI 1.4, then it can support the resolution that you mention.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
i-am-andrew
Punch Card
Views: 8,247
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for your reply, however there are various forum postings such as for a sony machine using Intel HD Graphics 4400 which say they have been unable to  drive this external resolution and frequency. So I would really like to hear from actual experience as I don't have easy access to a high resolution monitor before buying one.

killosaur
What's DOS?
Views: 8,079
Message 4 of 13

The DELL U2713HM doesn't support WQHD on HDMI. I'm struggling with this issue.

i-am-andrew
Punch Card
Views: 8,008
Message 5 of 13

Well, to answer my own question for the benefit of others, I decided to take the plunge and buy an Asus PB278Q monitor. Plugged it in using HDMI and it just worked immediately. I didn't even need to add a custom video mode to run the monitor at the correct resolution.

So the Intel HD 4400 graphics on the Yoga 2 Pro are capable of driving the internal display at 3200 x 1800 x 32-bit @ 60Hz, and also the external display at 2560 x 1440 x 32-bit @ 60Hz via HDMI! I confirmed this is the case by using the monitor's own information menu option.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, Windows 8.1 (Update 1) does not appear to handle different scaling on multiple displays properly. I am running the internal display at 200% scaling and the external display at 100% scaling. Indeed, this is the default as soon as you plug the monitor in. However, all content on the external display is blurry.

So I tried the option for setting one scaling of 100% for all displays and then the external display was sharp as it should be, but the internal display is obviously useless in desktop mode because everything is too small.

My guess is that Windows is rendering my external display off-screen at 200% and then crunching it down to 100% via bitmap processing when using different scaling on different displays.

Surely Microsoft have not implemented multiple display scaling like this? If they have then in my opinion it's useless, There is no way I can tolerate such blurriness on the external display at 100% scaling especially as I intend to use it mainly for development so clarity of text is important.

Can anyone help me fix this, or have Microsoft really made such a bad implementation of 'independent' scaling for separate displays? If so, the monitor is going to have to go back.

I've also posted this on a Microsoft forum in the hope there is a resolution to this issue.

meikoman
Paper Tape
Views: 7,630
Message 6 of 13

Can an extra external monitor be connected to yoga 2 pro?

saw some discussions regarding TV connection. 

Thanks for your help

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in

Folkert
What's DOS?
Views: 6,951
Message 7 of 13

Just added it to my LG 27EA83R and works at Max resolution ( 2560x1140 ) 

orthix
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,558
Message 8 of 13

I just purchased a asus pb278q, how did you connect it to your Yoga 2 Pro? micro-hdmi or through usb3.0 dock?

I am using it through 3.0 dock (toshiba dynadock) and the performance is awful. 

Mischa213
802.11n
Views: 5,545
Message 9 of 13

@i-am-andrew wrote:

Well, to answer my own question for the benefit of others, I decided to take the plunge and buy an Asus PB278Q monitor. Plugged it in using HDMI and it just worked immediately. I didn't even need to add a custom video mode to run the monitor at the correct resolution.

Can anyone help me fix this, or have Microsoft really made such a bad implementation of 'independent' scaling for separate displays? If so, the monitor is going to have to go back.

I've also posted this on a Microsoft forum in the hope there is a resolution to this issue.

thanks for trying this and feeding it back to the forum!

I suggest you temporarily (till W10) use the half resolution on you Y2Pro: 1600*900 at 100% scaling,

which looks very good in my opinion.

The DPI* of the Y2P and your external monitor then are almost equal:

PB278Q      2560 / 27 ~ 95

Yoga2Pro   1600 / 13 ~ 120

So even at that resolution your Y2P still has smaller icons than the external screen...

I use a Dell 24" as external monitor:

2412M      1920 / 24 ~ 80 , so that's even worse

* DPI is not the correct word, as the real DPI is of course SQRT ( (HorPixels)^2 + (VerPixels)^2 ) / screen diagonal

Freedom of Speech has just left the building
Mischa213
802.11n
Views: 5,542
Message 10 of 13

@orthix wrote:

I just purchased a asus pb278q, how did you connect it to your Yoga 2 Pro? micro-hdmi or through usb3.0 dock?

I am using it through 3.0 dock (toshiba dynadock) and the performance is awful. 

He wrote

"Plugged it in using HDMI ..."

This resolution is too much for the graphics chip that is used in most USB 3.0 port replicators.

So better use the micro-HDMI output of the Y2P for the video.

You still can use the port replicator for its Ethernet and audio connections

Freedom of Speech has just left the building

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors