cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sudonym
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,755
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 2 Pro Motherboard Issue (DEAD in 4 months)

I had my Y2P for four months, I bought the i7 8GB RAM 256GB SSD model from BestBuy. I don't play any games or do any heavy useage except streaming videos (if that counts) and one day in the middle of streaming a video from Amazon my computer just died with no warning. I tried booting it back up but the light that indicates the laptop is plugged in doesn't even register. I tried booting it while disconnected from any power source and through three different outlets around my house and I got nothing.

I took it to BestBuy and the guy checked it and couldn't revive it so they sent it to their service center. I called and they told me they had to replace the motherboard. My question to anyone that is willing to help is whether there was anything I could of done that could of killed the motherboard or do I assume that it was just naturally faulty? Could the AC adapter and/or power supply have anything to do with why it died? The laptop was charging and running pretty hot (not burning hot, but hot) when it suddenly died. 

Any thoughts would be great!

Spoonie
Punch Card
Views: 5,617
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Motherboard Issue (DEAD in 4 months)

Mine died yesterday Smiley Sad   Purchased in November.   At least now I know where to bring it.  My config is the same as yours.  Good luck.

splus
Token Ring
Views: 5,598
Message 3 of 6

@sudonym wrote:

I had my Y2P for four months, I bought the i7 8GB RAM 256GB SSD model from BestBuy. I don't play any games or do any heavy useage except streaming videos (if that counts) and one day in the middle of streaming a video from Amazon my computer just died with no warning. I tried booting it back up but the light that indicates the laptop is plugged in doesn't even register. I tried booting it while disconnected from any power source and through three different outlets around my house and I got nothing.

I took it to BestBuy and the guy checked it and couldn't revive it so they sent it to their service center. I called and they told me they had to replace the motherboard. My question to anyone that is willing to help is whether there was anything I could of done that could of killed the motherboard or do I assume that it was just naturally faulty? Could the AC adapter and/or power supply have anything to do with why it died? The laptop was charging and running pretty hot (not burning hot, but hot) when it suddenly died. 

Any thoughts would be great!

Energy Manager has an option for Express charging, which charges the battery at higher rate (I think something from 5% to 80% in 45 min).

In EM battery mainenace tips it says to charge the battery in express mode only at room temperatures, to keep the fan vents  open to avoid overheating, and not to run demanding applciations during the charging.

I don't know if you had express charging actvated or not, but I think those tips are valid to some, lesser extent for normal charging as well - battery is a battery, after all.

If you were running some demanding apps and the laptop was getting really hot then that could have had some effect on mainboard dying.

Guru
Views: 5,574
Message 4 of 6

Do not use express charging. It will detoriate the battery at a faster rate. Also during express charging, the laptop may also run slightly warmer. You can use express charging, but I don't recommend it. This is personal preference.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

wspinelli
What's DOS?
Views: 4,467
Message 5 of 6

My motherboard died after 13 months.  This is a secondary computer for me so is not used much at all.  This is quite disheartening.  I wondered if the model from Best Buy used cheaper componentes than the ones purchased directly from Lenovo and contacted Lenovo pre-purchase to find out.  They said no.  Price at BB was so good.  I got extended warranty so it was replaced under that but would rather not have this occur.

Clardyp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,750
Message 6 of 6

I paid $1200 for my Yoga 2 Pro and it went dead after only 21 months. It needed a new motherboard. Lenovo never again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors