cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 44,531

The Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro utilizes a Samsung LCD panel with a Pentile Red-Green-Blue-White (RGBW) pixel matrix, as opposed to a standard Red-Green-Blue (RGB) matrix on more conventional LCD panels.  The Pentile matrix uses a modified physical layout of the pixels, taking advantage of white sub-pixels to deliver a brighter display at lower power consumption levels

A drawback of this modified matrix is a lower color luminance than a standard RGB matrix.  This is most noticeable when viewing yellows.  Some yellows may appear greenish in hue.

OFFICIAL FIX

An updated system BIOS has been released that, in conjunction with a new version of Lenovo Energy Manager, adjusts pixel and backlight intensity to optimize yellow performance, regardless of the selected power mode.

Both updates must be installed for the changes to take effect.  It is recommended the BIOS update be installed prior to installing the updated Energy Manager. 

To download the updates:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS035004

Installation notes:  Based on internal testing and customer feedback in the forum, it is possible in some cases that the system may not restart automatically after the BIOS flash completes.  The screen will be black and the keyboard backlight will be on.  If this occurs,  press and hold the power button until the system shuts down, then press and release to restart.  The energery manager must be updated for the yellow color correction, so there may be a pause on boot up, or when returning from sleep before the colors update.

This release has also been reported to reset the auto brightness feature (re-enable it).  Please view this tip on how to disable adaptive brightness.

Previous work around:

On Yoga 2 Pro, this can be mitigated by switching to Performance Mode in Lenovo Energy Manager.  To do this:

1) Swipe from the right edge of the display or touchpad to fly out the Charms bar

2) In the Search field, type “energy” then select “Energy Manager from the results

y2p power 1.png

3) In Energy Manager, click the rocket icon to enable Performance mode
(Note: if this is the first time you have launched Energy Manager, swipe left through the introductory screens then tap OK to see the screen below)

y2p power 2.png

Note: Ensure you have at least this version or above (should there is any)

Lenovo Energy Management for Yoga 2 Pro Laptop

Version: 1.0.1.51

Published date: 12/22/2014

Was this information helpful?

Comments
ihasmario

What prevents an ICC profile that adjusts the green subpixel before addressign the panel from fixing this issue permanently? 

bmlad11

Any further setting change required to ensure proper colors displayed for both - plugged-in vs. battery powered modes?

We will update the article as this develops.  Thanks!

Article updated with the official fix - please download and install the updated BIOS first, and then the updated energy manager.

KeithCu

This is interesting, although I've already wiped Windows 8.1 from my Yoga so I can't use this fix. Can you ask engineering for a way to apply this BIOS update for those who are choosing to running a superior OS? My understanding is that you have in the past offered the ability to update their BIOS via a bootable ISO image which is OS-independent.

I realize Lenovo is running on inertia and ignoring the Linux desktop, but your customers are not. Lenovo is the most popular laptop manufacturer of Linux users so forget them at your peril.

Thank you,

-Keith

Keith,

Good suggestion.  However, this is really a two part solution - the BIOS updates the Embedded Controller, and then the updated power manager makes calls to some of the revised functions in the EC.   The BIOS update alone probably won't yield the results you are looking for.  One would need some equivalent routines running in linux.

The technicalities on this one aside, I do understand your broader point regarding Linux.

- Mark

cqs
Hello Lenovo, I must underline Keith's words.. I'm very disappointed that Lenovo thought only about Windows users and not all its customers. I hope Lenovo is going to release some correction also for Linux (and other minor) system. I'm pretty sure with such a knowledge and coding potential this won't be any big issue.
steadydon

Well I have done the BIOS update as well as the Energy Management and still the yellows have a green tint. Tomorrow I will contact Best Buy where I bought this from and find out how long I have to return it. I will wait till the last possible moment with the hopes Lenovo continues to address and fix this problem ASAP!!!!! I wouldn't even mind if they sent out a recall and replaced the screen.

cpaulik

Dear Lenovo

I'm really liking this laptop so far. But since I am running it on Ubuntu I would also like to agree with Keith and cqs on the point about a general fix. Please think about it. 

kxra

Dear Lenovo,

I am very interested in buying the Yoga 2 Pro. Thanks for providing this information on the fix. I was wondering if new machines would still be affected, or should ship with the fix already installed, and if they come with the fix, whether it would still work in another operating system. I would also be installing a GNU operating system on it (most likely Fedora), so it is important that it would work well.

Many thanks!

CR2

Since the updates haven't fixed the problem, is Lenovo or any other company continuing to pursue the matter?  I purchased my Yoga 2 Pro after reading numerous articles that said the problem was resolved with the BIOS and energy management updates.   Another surprise is that the updates greatly reduce energy conservation.  I appreciate your comments about the pentile display, but how did the Y2P get mass produced and released with a defect that is so immediately obvious?  I just got a Y2P and would love to keep it if I can know the problems will be resolved in a timely manner. 

michaelf1202

Hi,

What can I do on Ubuntu to get the better of my screen ?

Many thanks.

chrmod

Dear Lenovo,

it is great that "Official FIX" solved yellow color issues for Windows users.

Linux users however are still trying to use their hardware with its full potential.

IMO Mr. Mark Hopkins (Lenovo Social Media Manager) shown little respect by closing long discussed forum thread about yellow color issue: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Re-Yoga-2-Pro-13-Yellow-Color-Issues/td-p/1270427/page/116 - If he did not do that you would receive a chance to get more information on how many users is really affected by the problem.

Please stop your ignorance and at least provide specific information on what does Energy Management fix realy change and how can this be replicated on other operation systems.

Thanks in advance,

fafatheone

Dear Lenovo,

This "fix" only makes yellow less ugly on windows, and doesn't seem like a permanent solution for everybody.

I am in contact with the linux kernel developers, who are willing to help investigate the problem - if provided with some details how lenovo tried to fix the problem on windows systems. For example, which revised functions in the EC need to be called?

Link to the problem on kernel bugzilla:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=70721

Thanks in advance

s2k2

I just bought the yoga 2 pro, and I noticed this yellow color issue.

bios update said error: the system has the same version as the one recommended. so, I am good there.

adaptive brightness off does not help. the color does not change from greenish yellow to good yellow.

Should I return my laptop for this? is this a defect?

jiaxiking

I too am wondering about the same thing as s2k2. I bought this recently, and the yellow problem is not fixed.

Szczepanik

Yellow is now fixed for me. This Y2P screenshot is of images of "yellow" things from Google Chrome shows perfect colour yellow for bananas, duck and lemons:

YellowThings.png

I am using conservation mode and can take brightness up and down without  yellow colour changing.

Cheers

Tom

kaxiwaxi

I just updated the Bis from xx31WW to xx38WW. But how do I update the energy manager? There is no hint or link in your 'how to'! You just write 'install the updated energy manager'... If I open the energy manager and go to option and hit the SW update button it just keeps an telling me that there is a networkproblem and the update cant be performed.

So how do I update the energy manager??

All,

Please use this energy management which I have just updated at the bottom of the article, version: 1.0.1.51.

Thanks!

Cleo

dori137

I was looking forward to receive my new Thinkpad Yoga15 with its marvellous full HD display! to enjoy videos, and pictures and YT!

Oh, my... Smiley Sad Smiley Sad  what a disappointment: the colors suck, the brightness sucks. Really bad. I tried it all, included BIOS update ecc...I updated everything via Lenovo System Update. It still SUCKS. I dont know if it uses the same RGBW sh*t and I dont care, I want a solution for this 1000+ euro machine!

What's the reason why to make me/us pay for a high resolution full HD if there's no way to enjoy it?!

The grass is green and the sky is blue (and the lemon yellow), do I need to rewire my brain in order to translate your colors, Lenovo?! And BTW, you placed that Fn key where my fingers knew there was the CTRL key. You, little trickster. 

Lenovo, what about delivering an already set-up machine or FIXING the darn issue once and for all so we can see normal colors, good brightness and contrast, and a nice healthy yellow?! 

Looking forward for the ultimate "display chromatic issue" update. Pleeeeease.

Best regards.