cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thatandyt
Punch Card
Views: 7,132
Message 1 of 18

Yoga 2 Pro QHD resolution problem example?

I've seen quite a few posts and reviews that say that in some circumstances apps don't handle the high DPI of the Y2P and it makes them difficult to use. However, I've never seen this demonstrated in a video or even in a screenshot. Can someone post a screenshot of their desktop, with an app or two on it that isn't scaling properly? I'd like to see it. Sadly, the paucity of the Y2P in the UK means I can't go and check this out for myself in a shop. Thanks

Guru
Views: 7,068
Message 2 of 18

Re: Yoga 2 Pro QHD resolution problem example?

Don't worry about the QHD resolution. I never had issues with it.

The only applications/games where I had trouble are:
- ArmA 3: because of the performance requirements I had to use a 1280x720 resolution ingame, but it refused to scale to fullscreen. Instead it centered. It appears to be a bug with the game itself. Its older brother ArmA 2 works fine.
- GenyMotion: because of the performance impact I had to pick a lower resolution here as well, which resulted in a tiny window. But once GenyMotion has loaded up you can stretch the window with the mouse manually or maximize the window.

But generally the Yoga 2 Pro's display never causes issues. I never have any problems. And if you do have problems, it's most likely the software itself that's badly written, in that case look for an alternative. These are the only two games or applications that caused issues for me. But there is nearly always a workaround.

Name a few applications you use and I will gladly test this on my Yoga 2 Pro for you. But I can guarantee you 99.9% of all applications work fine.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

alexcannas
Punch Card
Views: 7,046
Message 3 of 18

Since the release of Windows 8.1, the scaling problem is not so annoying.  Windows 8.1 enables pixel doubling, which makes the scaling of images almost imperceptible. Yes you will be able to tell non-hidpi applications, but the fact is most applications are now LEGIBLE.

I cannot post the whole desktop here, because the insanely high resolution makes for one huge file, but this is a part of the screen.  Bear in mind it is in JPEG format and therefore a bit compromised in quality.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

bnk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,042
Message 4 of 18

Age Of Empires II HD - Impossible to play, keys in game are too small because of the resolution
thatandyt
Punch Card
Views: 7,014
Message 5 of 18

Cheers guys, and thanks for the screenshot. The shot looks OK to me, though because it's not full, I can't quite figure out how much of the screen it represents? Secondly, I'm surprised that games don't scale, I thought they'd be OK since they're more used to running at different resolutions. Perhaps this resolution is just *so* out there, that it is beyond what the developers originally anticipated. Thanks

alexcannas
Punch Card
Views: 7,005
Message 6 of 18

About 1/8 of the screen.  The problem with making a screen shot, is that you will be viewing on a low-dpi monitor, so what you will be seeing is like doing a 4x zoom.  Another think to consider, the Y2P uses an RGB-W pixel arrangement so you really need to see it in person to understand.  The screenshot is RGB, some artifacts will not be viewable on a standard rgb monitor, even if it were hi-dpi.  But if you are OK with Pentile AMOLED displays on Samsung phones, this one is much better.

I find the display much better than I expected, especially the scaling.  I bought directly from the internet without seeing one in person before and was positively impressed. Viewing angles are excellent btw...

denes
Punch Card
Views: 6,984
Message 7 of 18

The youtube (flash?) controls are really tiny in Firefox.

Rdmkr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,969
Message 8 of 18

There are quite a few interface screens where I'm happy with the small scaling caused by the 3200x1800 resolution. The windows start menu, for example, looks cartoonish and oversized to me at anything other than 3200x1800 with scaling to "smaller" in the pc-settings -> screen menu. This is just one example.

thatandyt
Punch Card
Views: 6,948
Message 9 of 18

@alexcannas wrote:

About 1/8 of the screen.  The problem with making a screen shot, is that you will be viewing on a low-dpi monitor, so what you will be seeing is like doing a 4x zoom. 

The DPI doesn't really matter, since it's the scale I'm looking to see. So if I open a full screenshot on my current 13"ish laptop, it'll fill the screen and sure it'll have to lose loads of the detail, but it's not the detail I'm looking at - it's the size of the boxes, menus and controls that I'm interested in, and they would still be discernable. Of course,  wouldn't have been even asking this had Lenovo managed to get some store stock out there..

alexcannas
Punch Card
Views: 6,916
Message 10 of 18

The 200% scaling Windows 8.1 uses by default on this laptop is pretty good. The only things I noticed that don't scale at all are some custom installers of various software packages.

The only major program that doesn't scale so nicely is Google Chrome. If you don't enable HiDPI the fonts appear pixelated, if you do, they appear thinner than the rest of the Windows fonts.

It is still usable, but Internet Explorer appears much nicer and crisper.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors