Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

05-10-2015

United States

21 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 1 of 2

Yoga 2 Pro SD Card Reader asks to re-format every time I restart

2015-05-10, 5:06 AM

Hey Lenovo Comunity I'm wondering if you can help me out with this SD Card Reader Issue 

What I own:

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (had it for over 1 year)

Windows 8.1

All Drivers are updated (Especially Realtek SD Card Driver "cr136w8164")

I've been trying to use my SD Card slot for extra storage but every time I insert an SD or Micro SD card or restart my laptop it asks me to format the SD card.  I've had this problem since I bought the Y2P.

I'd really like to have some extra storage without having it hang from a USB adapter when I travel which is a lot.  Also one day I'll sell this and would like to make sure the Card Reader works before I do. 

SD Cards I've Tried
SanDisk Extreme 64GB Class 10 SD
SanDisk Extreme 32GB Class 10 SD

Micro SD Cards I've Tried

(Tried these cards with the adapters they came with and the Mini Drive Y2P Micro SD Card adapter)
SanDisk Ultra 128GB Class 10 Micro SD
Sony 64GB Class 10 Micro SD
SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB Micro SD
Samsung Pro Class 10 64 GB

Every time I load these cards in the SD card slot I get a message asking me to format the drive.  

I've formatted all of these drives in:

NTFS
exFAT
Even tried FAT32 or whatever it's called but doesnt' work with higher capacity drives I have. 

When I load these cards through a USB adapter to the Y2P or to the other 3 PC's Card Readers in the house they all work fine. I've tried to load the SD and Micro SD cards with and without the realtek driver but to no avail.  Every time I restart my Y2P it asks me to format the SD card in the SD card slot and it won't work unless I do.

In addition to what I tried above I also used Partition's "Find and Mount" software but that didn't work either. 

Seems like a software issue but Ive also looked into replacing the Card Reader but couldn't find any place that sells replacements.  Any ideas on how to make this card reader work would be much appreciated?

Thanks!

Answer
Options

4 Posts

05-10-2015

United States

21 Signins

167 Page Views

Re: Yoga 2 Pro SD Card Reader asks to re-format every time I restart

2015-05-22, 23:19 PM

So I figured out the problem myself.  I ordered another SD/SSD/USB Board and installed it.  My SD Card Reader works fine now.  It was just a faulty board. I had to try two boards. The first didn't work but the second I ordered did. It's a pretty easy install too.  Just 5 screws once you have the back off and you can install the new one. 

I was told by Lenovo that this is the part # for the USB/SD/SSD Card - #90004971

Also this is the card I bought from ebay that worked. 

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro Series Card Reader Board Mini HDMI USB w/Cable NS-A072

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

4 Posts

05-10-2015

United States

21 Signins

167 Page Views

• Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga 2 Pro SD Card Reader asks to re-format every time I restart

2015-05-22, 23:19 PM

So I figured out the problem myself.  I ordered another SD/SSD/USB Board and installed it.  My SD Card Reader works fine now.  It was just a faulty board. I had to try two boards. The first didn't work but the second I ordered did. It's a pretty easy install too.  Just 5 screws once you have the back off and you can install the new one. 

I was told by Lenovo that this is the part # for the USB/SD/SSD Card - #90004971

Also this is the card I bought from ebay that worked. 

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro Series Card Reader Board Mini HDMI USB w/Cable NS-A072

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms