Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmkelly
Not applicable
Views: 296
Message 1 of 1

Yoga 2 Pro - Samsung SSD T1 connection problems

For many months, I have been dealing with a frustrating issue when connecting my external Samsung SSD T1 (500 GB) to my Yoga 2 Pro laptop.  After two weeks dealing with Samsung tech support and getting a new unit, I am convinced the problem lies with the Yoga 2 and not the drive.  (The drive does not suffer the issues described below with either of my two desktop machines.)

The external SSD is supposed to launch an "unlock" window upon connection, allowing you to enter a password to unlock the drive.  When I connect it to the Yoga 2 Pro, it acts as if it is going to work, but then the disk seems to "hang" and stop communicating with the laptop.  I can see the disk in File Explorer, and even open the drive folder to see the executable inside that needs to run.  But when I double-click the unlock program, it hangs.  The entire drive becomes unresponsive.  I see this behavior regardless of (A) the drive is connected before the laptop is powered on; or (B) when I let the laptop fully boot and then connect the drive afterward.  Either way, same problem.

With me so far?  So here's the piece I find bizarre.  I have found that I can resolve the issue by doing a hard reset to the laptop.  Holding in the power button for ten seconds to force a power-down of the laptop.  If I do that and then restart the laptop, everything comes back up fine and the drive works exactly as it is supposed to.  But the next time I connect the drive or power up the laptop?  Back to having issues again.  Only works with a hard reset.  It doesn't work if I use the standard Windows power-down option.

That's the cycle and it happens like clockwork.  Connect drive and it doesn't work.  Resort to a ten-second power-button hard reset, and then things will work fine once.  After that, back to the beginning of the cycle.

Has anyone here seen this type of behavior before?  Or have troubleshooting tips I might try to resolve the issue?  It's driving me up the wall.  Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors