04-12-2014

Australia

7 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 111 of 250

Re: Yoga 2 Pro - Screen Flickering and Screen Blanking

2014-04-19, 23:56 PM

The screen blanking seems to have something to do with "panel self refresh" if enabled.

Had all options off for two days (self panel refresh, extended battery life for game, power saving mode), there were no blanking of of the screen. 

Turned just panel self refresh on - within a few minutes it was blanking.

I will see if I enable the other two options have any impact. 

Blanking:

Screen turns off/on rapidly for about 5 to 10 seconds

Options

3 Posts

04-12-2014

Australia

7 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 112 of 250

2014-04-20, 0:00 AM

Also this issue is just not limited to lenovo equipment, other brands are also having the same issue (eg dell xps12)

Options

13 Posts

11-01-2013

USA

9 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 113 of 250

2014-04-20, 3:34 AM

This issue started when I just installed one of the Windows 8.1 updates + bios update.  Is everyone who is experiencing issues with flickering on the newest BIOS version?

Options

12 Posts

04-15-2014

UK

29 Signins

139 Page Views

• Views: 139
  • Message 114 of 250

2014-04-20, 3:49 AM
I've received mine in March and returned it within 7 days due to screen flickering when on battery. Although firmware updates could alter the hardware behavior, however the issue existed off the box with no amendments or updates. The only thing I updated was Intel VGA drivers and Lenovo energy management tool.
It's quite frustrating that this issue has been under discussion since November 2013 and yet hasn't been given any solution. Considering it's on Lenovo community forum, the issue should be addressed far more earlier.
Options

43 Posts

04-18-2014

Macedonia

47 Signins

252 Page Views

• Views: 252
  • Message 115 of 250

2014-04-22, 1:00 AM
I bought mine in the beginning of April and I have the screen flickering issue when on battery and low brightness setting since the moment I got it. I wanted to update the firmware, but I realized that the latest firmware was released on Nov 2013 and I already had that one. So I'm not sure if this has happened before that firmware, but since only new customers complain I guess that firmware might have caused this.

With each passing day without Lenovo addressing this issue and not even giving an official statement of acknowledgement of it is just making it worse for the success of the Yoga Pro 2. I'm still loving the laptop excluding this and some other issues, but if they are not fixed promptly I will have to return it as well.
Options

10 Posts

04-09-2014

New Jersey

30 Signins

327 Page Views

• Views: 327
  • Message 116 of 250

2014-04-24, 22:47 PM

this problem is definitely worse on battery power, but it definitely also still exists when plugged in.  on the three lowest brightness settings, you'll notice it while plugged in on a white screen.  once you get to the 4th setting, you shouldn't really notice it.  but the 4th setting is WAY too bright for a dark room.  on battery power, you'll even notice the flickering on the 4th brightness setting.  this is a huge issue and a deal breaker for this laptop if it's not fixed either by software update or hardware replacement.

Options

8 Posts

04-27-2014

denmark

8 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 117 of 250

2014-04-27, 7:56 AM

I just bought my Lenovo yoga 2 pro last week, and it has the flickkering screen as well, and just updated the drivers manually last night, and it helped allot, still getting a small amount of flickering though, but hardly noticable.

But I also know that it's not the only computer suffering from this, in fact it seems like most computers with Intel 4400 HD Graphic are having the exact same problem.

For example Dell XPS 12 & 13, are having the same problem as well, and they have kept all their drivers updated. So Don't expect it to be solved within a short time frame, as it's not Lenovo who are to company to be blamed, it's Intel and their below par graphic cards.

Lenovo and Dell should leard their lesson and stop using intel graphics all together, as it seem like a bunch of amatures who dosn't care to fix the problem.

So if you can get a cash refund, don't use the money on a computer with the latest Intel HD graphics as it seems to be a problem with them.

Options

43 Posts

04-18-2014

Macedonia

47 Signins

252 Page Views

• Views: 252
  • Message 118 of 250

2014-04-27, 10:42 AM

wrote:

I just bought my Lenovo yoga 2 pro last week, and it has the flickkering screen as well, and just updated the drivers manually last night, and it helped allot, still getting a small amount of flickering though, but hardly noticable.

But I also know that it's not the only computer suffering from this, in fact it seems like most computers with Intel 4400 HD Graphic are having the exact same problem.

For example Dell XPS 12 & 13, are having the same problem as well, and they have kept all their drivers updated. So Don't expect it to be solved within a short time frame, as it's not Lenovo who are to company to be blamed, it's Intel and their below par graphic cards.

Lenovo and Dell should leard their lesson and stop using intel graphics all together, as it seem like a bunch of amatures who dosn't care to fix the problem.

So if you can get a cash refund, don't use the money on a computer with the latest Intel HD graphics as it seems to be a problem with them.

It may or may not be the case, but don't you think it is a bit unresponsible from Lenovo not publishing anything about this issue? They should communicate with their customers and try to explain the situation. They are the ones who know about the issue and probably can explain it and say whether they can/will fix it and when. A simple ackowledgment that they hear their customers cries for start would be great. Silence will not make any of us feel better. Instead most have already returned their newly bought laptops just because of this issue.

Options

8 Posts

04-27-2014

denmark

8 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 119 of 250

2014-04-27, 11:33 AM

Lenovo should have ceased production of all computers using intel 4400 graphics, a couple of months ago. when it became clear that the problem weraren't solved by opdating the drivers.  And they should have called alle computers back that where using the afromentioned graphic card, as there is clearly a problem with it.

Lenovo shouldn't run away or ignore that respnsability, but it is Intel who has to be blamed for putting a bad graphic card on the market in the first place, they should have noticed this problem in the testing process, and they should have ceased production of it months ago, especially when it became clear that the latest updates didn't solve the problems.

But what we are criticizing lenovo for goes for Samsung, Dell, Sony etc. as well. All of them is still flooding the market with computers, with graphic cards that dos not work the way they should.

It's a pitty as I really enjoy my new computer, but I am seriously considering getting my money back.

Options

53 Posts

11-22-2013

Cyprus

126 Signins

548 Page Views

• Views: 548
  • Message 120 of 250

2014-04-28, 8:59 AM

I think we have unfortunately mixed two different issues on this thread.  One is screen flickering and the other is screen blanking.  They are not the same and the cause is not the same as I have come to realise.

Flickering is caused by an unstable backlight.  The problem could either be with the LED driver or the auto-brightness control.   I have not experienced this problem, but on low brightness with the auto-brightness setting on, I see the backlight scaling in what might be perceived as flickering.  My original Galaxy Nexus did this, until the firmware was updated and there was more linear-control of the backlight.

Blanking means that the LCD loses the output signal at some point.  The backlight in this case is still working fine.  In my case I have been able to identify the "Panel Self-Refresh" option as the culprit.  I have not seen the screen blanking in any other case.  The option is not available (but is enabled) in the default drivers, but is an option in the newer intel-provided drivers.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms