Madison, WI

15 Signins

183 Page Views

• Views: 183
  • Message 1 of 10

Yoga 2 Pro - Sleep mode issue

2013-11-14, 16:03 PM

Hi All,

I've been experience troubles with issues ralated to sleeping.

Sometimes it just sleeps well.

Sometimes my Y2P sometimes won't go sleep(insomnia???). The screen goes off but the fan doesn't stop and the keyboard backlit doesn't go off. And whatever I do won't wake it up in this circumstance, for example hitting a key on the keyboard, hitting the power button, or touch the screen. I have to restart to enter the OS. (FYI VirtualBox may cause this problem but I was not running it. I don't even have it installed.)

And sometimes it does go sleeping and can be waken up, but during the sleep the fan doesn't stop and the machine becomes very hot. This seems to happen only under the power manager high performance mode but I'm not sure. Twice I just closed my laptop and went to bed. and left the poor Y2P baking-hot overnight. As a result, the battery capacity estimate in the power manager is now 'Normal'. I believe it was 'Excellent' or 'Good' when I first received it. (FYI the capacity is now 54760mWh.)

I really love this machine. Yellow issue is not a killer but the sleep problem does troubles me a lot. I'm not able to return it because I just passed the 15-day return period. Any suggestion to solve those problem, folks?

-K

Options

84 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Views: 687
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Yoga 2 Pro - Sleep mode issue

2013-11-15, 1:27 AM

Hey hey, just got my y2p today, swithcing from an x220t

I have this too! but mine's a little different...I'm noticing that shutdown is taking a really long time while the restart is instantaneous. but the reason why i note this is that whenever I close my lid (to go to sleep, the computer initiates shut down!

I was trying to figure out why it was "stuck" in sleep mode and then the more i looked into it i realized it wasn't sleeping but rather it was shutting down. 

I don't care if shut down takes a while, because i almost never shut down (and by a while, I'm talking like 3/4 minutes) but I don't know how to stop it from shutting down instead of going to sleep!

Options

16 Posts

10-22-2013

Madison, WI

15 Signins

183 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2013-11-15, 1:36 AM

I forgot to mention that, if you turn on the computer and then restart, it's lightning fast and everything is smooth.

But if you restart after you've been using it for a while and having several programs(particularly Microsoft Word) open, restart will take me forever and I have to force it to shut it down by pressing the power button.

I'm just considering restore everything to factory.

Options

84 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2013-11-15, 1:41 AM
i guess refreshing it to see if I uninstalled some "bloat" that was actually important wouldn't be the end of the world...I've owned it a grand total of 5 hours haha
Options

16 Posts

10-22-2013

Madison, WI

15 Signins

183 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2013-11-15, 1:54 AM

Yep but if you have so much trouble with it at this very early stage, I suggest you exchange it and get a new one.

Options

84 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2013-11-15, 1:57 AM

oh most definitely I will. Though this is a replacement device for my x220t (lenovo footed the bill)

SO I'd much rather see if it was a wonky issue that I can fix myself before I replace it out. 

I wanted the thinkpad yoga if I'm completely honest, but there was no release date listed for that (still) and I needed to replace my x220 badly.

I'll give this a week to prove itself and if not then I'll call up the rep and tell him what's going on

Options

84 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2013-11-15, 2:02 AM
hey just so you know. I did the PC refresh and now the sleep mode is working perfectly fine.

so either I uninstalled something or installed something that's giving headaches.

best of luck!
Options

3 Posts

09-02-2014

7 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 8 of 10

2014-12-15, 14:18 PM

I have observed two related issues on my Yoga 2 Pro. In agreement with a later poster to this thread, it will occasionally shut down (or crash?) rather than sleep. This happens occasionally when I have a dozen apps up in a configuration that I'd really like to go back to rather than have to set up again. I'm guessing this issue, shutting down improperly, could be a problem getting an app or service to sleep properly, giving up, and dying. One of the reasons I upgraded to the Yoga 2 Pro is that my old Sony Vaio did this same thing and I assumed a new machine would have the quirks worked out. Perhaps it's a Windows problem, but still should be addressed.

I have also found several times that I will take my Yoga 2 Pro out of my bag after hours of sitting and the two lights indicating that it is running will be lit solid with the laptop hot to the touch. I have no idea why a machine would turn itself on with the lid closed, even if the power button is bumped (which is very unlikely with its small size in a padded bag). I'd love for anyone at Lenovo to address whether this issue is known, common, being looked at? It's terribly frustrating to "start" with the battery half depleted because it's been busy generating heat in a confined place.

Options

3 Posts

01-20-2015

United States

8 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 9 of 10

2015-04-24, 22:09 PM

Anyone still having this issue?  My Yoga 2 Pro, Core i7 version, will not go to sleep either.  I've chose different power modes, made sure that I've checked all the settings needed to make it go to sleep after a certain amount of time (I'm in the IT field, so I'm aware of all options), yet I cannot make it sleep if I leave the lid open.  It will go to sleep when I shut the lid, but I want it to sleep when I leave the lid open.  

Thoughts?

Options

12 Posts

03-05-2016

IST, TR

11 Signins

146 Page Views

• Views: 146
  • Message 10 of 10

2016-03-05, 23:59 PM

I too had this problem on a Yoga 3 Pro laptop. It was the Bluetooth driver avoiding the sleep so that the computer never slept and caused the same symptoms that many of you have here. So the problem was not being able to wake up but never being able to sleep instead and getting stuck somewhere in between.

Simply, press Windows key + X, open Device Manager, couble click the Bluetooth device (Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 USB in my case), switch to the Power Management tab and uncheck "Allow this device to wake up the computer".

Your bluetooth keyboard and mouse might not be able to wake up the device anymore but it will at least solve your problem with the sleep/wake up functions.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete