Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

93 Posts

12-31-2013

Sweden

280 Signins

1736 Page Views

• Views: 1736
  • Message 81 of 173

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Stil has Yellow Color Issues

2014-04-10, 12:38 PM

Hi Mark,

Let me help you understand as best I possibly can - LENOVO HAS NOT SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

You are correct in that there will always be differences in expectation and based on this statement I can inform you that I am personally very disappointed and find that the Y2P falls far far far below my expectation. What really annoys me is Lenovo's complacent attitude towards the problem - ie what problem - we fixed that! Well I differ in opinion.

I can assure you that I and all the many other customers following this thread have applied the so called "fix" exactly correct according to your instructions and we are definitely not satisfied with the result.

I'm so happy for you that you have only experienced a "very little difference" - that makes all your customers on this thread clearly completely wrong and colour blind.

Options

47 Posts

03-18-2013

Slovakia

80 Signins

403 Page Views

• Views: 403
  • Message 82 of 173

2014-04-10, 12:44 PM

I greet You Mark Lenovo. Problem I have, is that even after setting up display, modding it, doing exactly what's required, the yellow is still greenish. My 56 years old mom've seen that on 5 pieces of Yoga 2 Pro. That's a disaster, she doesn't have a good sight.

Competition is mostly at Spectre 13, Dell XPS 13, both using state of the art AH-iPS with RGBLED backlightning. I'm working on 5 years old hp lp2475w using P-iPS panel with CCFL backglihtning, yellow colors on my LCD panel vs. what Yoga 2 Pro after updates with maximum contrast has to offer, as summarized by the words of my mother:

"What do You see there son? On those fluffy laptops You're showing me green and on Your big computer yellow. Do You see any different colors?"

Today I was checking my local showroom of lenovo, all of the Yogas are suffering the same "fate". It's a huge hic-up a step aside for Lenovo.

Yoga 2 Pro could've been the best ultrabook in it's class on the market. It has potential to bury Spectre 13 and XPS 13 [12 convertible] alive, both at a time. SSD is heavily superior [Samsung with quad arm core controller], extreme design [soft and fluffy] beautiful cooling, superior ultrabook cpu, excellent lv ram. Everything in Lenovo 2 Pro is heavily superior torwards competition - except display. Display is a disaster, because of poor calibration and bad choice using inferior pentile matrix technology, instead of slcd, or why not use samsung superior pls [plane to line switching] with it's proprietary matrix?

Sorry, this mistake cannot be "undone" by BiOS [u]EFi update or diddling with settings in intel GPU options, nor power managment stuff.

Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Views: 25513
  • Message 83 of 173

2014-04-10, 13:17 PM

wrote:

All,

I'm not understanding why this has come up again?   Most customers were pleased with the results from installing the updated BIOS first, and then the updated energy manager.  Both updates must be performed and in that order.

I suppose there will always be room for differences in expectation vs the level of improvement provided by the Lenovo solution to that problem and I can appreciate that.  If this discussion is a continuation of that - individual expectations vs the level of improvement, and inherent qualities of the pentile panbel then , Ok.

If it is that not improvement is seen, then let's make sure the updates are being applied correctly.

Please see the KB on this.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-2-Pro-Pentile-matrix-RGBW-characteristics-and-display-of/ta-p/1294793

Regarding the Samsung, I've put that system side by side with the Yoga 2 Pro as well and with the updates applied to the Yoga 2 Pro, there is very little difference in the displayed yellow.  (This was the comparison done early on with just the work around full power mode on AC, not the final energy manager and BIOS update.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Re-Yoga-2-Pro-13-Yellow-Color-Issues/m-p/1276841#M8216

I think you are failing to see the big picture. In some power plans, the fix was never applied. Powersaver and stable mode are excellent examples of this issue. Please change the computer's power plan and see for yourself.

Options

7 Posts

02-26-2014

Virginia

7 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 84 of 173

2014-04-10, 14:24 PM

Mark,

I wasn’t going to chime in on this, but really this fix is only just ‘ok’, it’s not the perfect solution. I'm demoing a new product I developed that uses the yellow as part of a status. I had the tablet side-by-side with a laptop also running the program and the difference was significant. The customer actually commented on it.  Yes, I applied all the fixes. So although it is better, any many of your customers may feel it was good enough (as I originally did),  it really looks pretty bad when compared to other screens.

Energy Manager 1.0.1.49. Screen Brightness: 5 red dots (High Perfomance Mode)
BIOS Version: 76CN31WW
EC Version : 76EC25WW

Lenova Yoga2 on left, HP Pavilion dv7 LCD screen on right

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Options

17 Posts

01-30-2014

United States

36 Signins

364 Page Views

• Views: 364
  • Message 85 of 173

2014-04-12, 2:52 AM
This problem never went away.  My Yoga 2 Pro was dated after the BIOS and energy management updates were released.  It came with an update applied from the factory, but and the yellows were not acceptable.  Even though the release number was the same, I finally I re-updated, and did so according to the instructions.  After that, the "fix" in my computer was confirmed as current by Lenovo Tech Support. 

The "fix" brought up the brightness which slightly modifies the color, but it did not make a bad display better.  This defect impairs the ability to work with imaging and graphics.  There are other problems too--one of which also impairs usability, but in a different way.

I bought the Y2P based on Lenovo's announcement that said the problem was fixed.  It is not.  Also, I did not see a disclosure that the "fix" would greatly reduce battery performance.  The "fix" raises the resolution, so the battery doesn’t exceed even half the advertised potential, and it is significantly less than that of the competition. 

When so many people have reported the "fix" failed, why has Lenovo not announced the "fix" failed in the same fashion that they announced the "fix."  If they had done that, maybe I and a few others wouldn't have bought this headache. 

On the other hand, if Lenovo really does have Y2P computers in which this has truly been resolved, then why not swap out the defective computers for computers that don’t have these issues?  I have tried to get a response from Lenovo in this matter.  Can you help with that?

Thanks.
Options

23 Posts

04-12-2014

Chiang Mai

2492 Signins

15861 Page Views

• Views: 15861
  • Message 86 of 173

2014-04-12, 5:20 AM

wrote:

Mark,

I wasn’t going to chime in on this, but really this fix is only just ‘ok’, it’s not the perfect solution. I'm demoing a new product I developed that uses the yellow as part of a status. I had the tablet side-by-side with a laptop also running the program and the difference was significant. The customer actually commented on it.  Yes, I applied all the fixes. So although it is better, any many of your customers may feel it was good enough (as I originally did),  it really looks pretty bad when compared to other screens.

Energy Manager 1.0.1.49. Screen Brightness: 5 red dots (High Perfomance Mode)
BIOS Version: 76CN31WW
EC Version : 76EC25WW

Lenova Yoga2 on left, HP Pavilion dv7 LCD screen on right

Link to picture

I have old-age eyes.  In the picture the colour in the Lenovo is GREEN, in the HP is YELLOW.  Also the contrast of the text in the HP is defimitely better, easier to read.

Options

47 Posts

03-18-2013

Slovakia

80 Signins

403 Page Views

• Views: 403
  • Message 87 of 173

2014-04-12, 9:01 AM

Over 15 Yoga 2 Pros, wich are heavily superior towards competition products, are returned to the reseller to this day, under my supervision. I couldn't bear the humility of moronic colors and clients making fun of it. Even other of Your products suffer from issues, like ghosting, dead picture after some time of usage.

I'm being kind of desperate to be honest. Last half a year I've been through Sony Vaio Duo 11, Sony Vaio Duo 13 [ghosting, otherwise perfect products], iBM Lenovo Yoga 2 13, Yoga 2 Pro, ThinkPad Yoga, all top-end configured models, also not convertibles, like Carbon X1. All are having issues with either noisy fans, whistling fans, yellow/orange colors, ghosting, or something else. And I mean all, it's not a bad piece or something.

The only thing that works like charm is Your ThinkPad Edge, they work all just fine, but they aren't needed atm.

Tbh. Spectre 13 and XPS 13 are kicking ass to Carbon X1, like hell.

If You guys in Lenovo won't start thinking clearly, You won't end up bad, but also not well.

P.S.: What kind of m*ron had the idea to put hybrid drives to Yoga 13? It's a convertible, mechanical drive will die in it within year or two for 80%, even when it's WD Black 2mm thin custom made drive just for You.

And also, what's the big deal with proprietary connector on this hybrid drive? When thinking person wants to put there mSATA SSD and not wait for the time bomb to blow, he CAN'T because some smart life in lenovo said it's gonna be proprietary.

I understand You want to earn on Your services. But You don't have a single alternative for that Yoga 13 product, none existing on the market. Anyway it's a sick logic, let's make it proprietary, so smart and thinking people can't upgrade it by themselves. And even better idea, let's make it the only compatibile drive, no SSD alternative.

It's a shame, how You ruin Your otherwise great products.

P.S.: Even Spectre 13 isn't "saint" it suffers thanks to HPs great idiotic idea from noise streaks, because their coolsense or whatever craptacular utility just isn't working. And XPS 13 is lacking connectivity and some of the ultrabooks have faulty fans.

Link to picture

Link to picture

Link to picture

Options

7 Posts

02-26-2014

Virginia

7 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 88 of 173

2014-04-12, 12:42 PM

FYI, in the picture I posted, the camera had a tough time focusing on both screens. It happened to focus on the HP. That is why you see a contrast issue with the Ypga2.  

Options

22 Posts

04-16-2014

Canada

54 Signins

274 Page Views

• Views: 274
  • Message 89 of 173

2014-04-16, 18:02 PM

Its too bad they haven't addressed this issue properly - it is the main reason why I would not buy this laptop. I checked it out yesterday at BestBuy and they seem to have still not fixed the problem.

Options

3 Posts

04-20-2014

Singapore

11 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 90 of 173

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Still has Yellow Color Issues

2014-04-20, 22:12 PM

>>Also ive downloaded 3 different color profiles and set them as default but it doesnt do anything

RastaCook,

You need to enable Windows display calibration, which is a bit of a pain.  Here's a link to a step-by-step tutorial:

http://sgtechtrooper.blogspot.com/2014/04/how-to-install-custom-color-profile-on.html

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms