Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Super PM Chat

The Future of Windows Tablets

Join the conversation and share your feedback with the Lenovo Product team

Yoga 2 Pro: System RAM upgrade

Click ►
Started ‎10-30-2013 by
Modified ‎10-30-2013 by

I'm thinking about buying the 4GB Yoga 2 Pro and upgrading the system RAM later.

Is it possible?

It isn't possible to upgrade the system RAM of the Yoga 2 Pro by swapping in a larger memory module as the RAM is soldered to the system board.

For reference please refer to the the Hardware Maintenance Manual:

Manual page 32 begins the FRU Removal/Replacement section. Notice that there is no RAM item.

Manual page 61 is the exploded parts view. FRU #13 is the system board.

Manual page 62 details the system board/RAM size/OS permutations of FRU #13.

by ditkolad on ‎03-20-2014 11:52 AM

This is really messed up!

The link below says ALL versions are upgradeable to 8G, but I just found out that mine is not.  I purchased it from BestBuy and I was also sold the memory to upgrade it. I was waiting for the Geek Squad to get the information on how to install it, and now I am told that it cannot be done. What can be done about this?

by Administrator on ‎06-25-2014 10:22 AM

What that page actually says is:

"Up to 8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz, on-board two-channel (4GB/8GB)"

This means that configs are available up to 8GB (there are 4GB models and 8GB models), but not that 4GB can be upgraded to 8GB.   If that were the intent, it would say upgradable.

I will share your feedback with our webteam to ensure we try to use language that is more clear.

Thanks for the feedback!

by mtbmtb on ‎07-24-2014 05:32 AM

You are not alone, ditkolad

Same problem happend here.

The 8GB model was not available due to a lack of 8GB RAM modules in the factory. So I chose to take the 4GB and to upgrade later to not wait even longer to get the Y2P....

Never heard before that there are Laptops without changable RAM ...

@Lenovo: Suppose there is no way to swap the modell

by lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor on ‎07-24-2014 05:36 AM

most thin ultrabook on the market does not have changeable ram modules.

by coprinoid on ‎09-15-2014 02:35 PM

yeah. Same thing happened here, I was going to have a friend i trust to do the upgrade...he doesn't trust himself to do the upgrade, I really don't want that Asus, but I may be pushed to sell trade this one in for it...Tai Chi vs Yoga....

by ExLenovoBuyer on ‎01-23-2015 09:37 AM

If you can get another laptop that does not have a whitelist, go for it.  Not only is the RAM not upgradeable but neither is the WWAN Card.  Lenovo has written in to the BIOS a "Whitelist" to keep us from being able to upgrade our own property.  I will never buy another Lenovo.  Best wishes!

by Teddyk1 on ‎02-02-2015 09:35 PM

it looks like a lot of disgruntled Lenovo owners

I am still in my 30 day window

i think I will return mine and just swallow the 15% restocking fee and just purchase a samsung Tab S

too many issues here

I should have researched more

by ExLenovoBuyer on ‎02-03-2015 02:26 PM

"it looks like a lot of disgruntled Lenovo owners

I am still in my 30 day window

i think I will return mine and just swallow the 15% restocking fee and just purchase a samsung Tab S

too many issues here

I should have researched more"

Believe me, I wish I had done more research myself.  I have been in IT for 25 years and have bought business laptops and desktops from Lenovo for 65,000 + employees.  Their customer service for the business class is impeccable.  For the consumer grade equipment. it is horrendous.  To find out about the White List post purchase was horrible.  For the Flex 15 they have certified latops for the 7260 Wireless N and the Intel 7260 wireless AC dual band wireless cards.  For my Flex 15 with the wireless N card, Lenovo no longer even sells the 7260 wirelss AC Card but due to the White List you cannot install the Intel Wireless AC card. This is a travesty with Lenovo telling me basically what I can and can't due with my own property especially when I am trying to install a certified wireless7260 wireless AC Dual Band card they no longer sell.  It is my intent to contact my lawyer and see what rights I have to make changes to my own property.  I can tell you I will never buy a Lenovo anything for as long as I live and for all the people that come to me for recommendations, I will not be recommending Lenovo or any other company that thinks they have the right to tell people what they can and can't do with their own property.  If anyone is interested in contacting me to apply pressure and try to get this practice stopped, I would be glad to talk to you.  Best wishes to you all that find yourself in the same boat as myself..

by okapi ‎03-03-2015 04:48 AM - edited ‎03-03-2015 04:51 AM

@ExLenovoBuyer on ‎02-03-2015 02:26 PM

Thanks for your post, it was very enlightening. Today, I'd buy the New Lenovo Yoga 2 to replace my old and heavy Dell 15R with 5 years , so so I no longer want to hear about Lenovo. I'll wait a few more days and search for new HP Spectre X360.

by alittleolder on ‎04-13-2015 07:45 AM

I landed on this page because I wanted to see if one could up the memory to 16GB which obviously after a bit of reading is not possible. I don't get the disgrunteled people though. One guy talked about buying Samsung. Their products have a lifespan of about 8 months if you're lucky, the rest of the warranty it'll spend in service.

Also I wanted to update to 16 GB just because it sounds good. I've yet to encounter a situation where non-existent RAM would be a problem.

As for Lenovo Service: We are dealing with almost all major brands and high amount of items. Lenovo really has a service network second to none. So I would really think long and hard before buying any other brand. Otherwise, why would I have bought a Lenovo and not an Asus or a Samsung for my personal use?

by techforev ‎09-09-2015 11:12 AM - edited ‎09-09-2015 11:16 AM

It is absurd that I cannot upgrade ram on my laptop. They could have easily made it swappable like the SSD. I would not be suprised if they start soldering the SSD to the motherboard just to screw over their customers even harder. Lenovo has lost legions of customers due to their controlling and unfavorable business practices, poor quality products, and insulting customer service (if we can even call it that).

Also, a Samsung tablet is not a replacement for a Windows laptop - they are not even in the same class. Like comparing a bicycle with a 60HP yamaha dirt bike - sure they are both "bikes" but they are not even close to the same. Similarly just because the Yoga is small and thin, you cannot call it a "tablet" because tablets run on Android (most) and they have pitiful hardware components compared to i7 laptops with DDR3 ram and true SSD.

Look at the Surface 3 / Surface Pro 3 for a competitor. While they call it a "tablet", it really is a "laptop without a hard keyboard" because it does run full laptop components (i3, i5, i7 - DDR3 ram, true SSD). But the downfall is the price - they are too expensive at retail pricing. It appears Acer and Asus also have good ultrabooks these days as well which I will be looking into, which are much more affordable.

HP also has a new ultrabook - "Spectra" very high end and just like the Yoga 2/3 Pro - but it too is a bit expensive ($1200-1500)