Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kfo
Paper Tape
Views: 6,413
Message 11 of 34

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Tablet Mode Extremely Slow on Win 10

Thanks to RedSign and his post - turning off DPTF in BIOS helped regarding the Yoga lagging in Win10. I'm kicking myself for not having noticed this tip before - I've read and tried all other tips; disabling services and tweeking settings... the DPTF has been the reason for my Win10 lagging...

AnnaF
Paper Tape
Views: 5,889
Message 12 of 34

Hi just disabled YMC in the task manager but there doesn't seem to be a clear instruction on how to enable it again. Could you tell me how?

Thank you!
nowakezone
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,806
Message 13 of 34

RedSign I think you've helped solve my problem...you said this "The ymc service and the associated process ymc.exe is there to tell the system whether it is in laptop or tablet/tent mode which not only disables the touchpad and keyboard in modes...."

I refreshed my Ideapad 11S yesterday because the first W10 download was full of bugs. Now everything works fine EXCEPT when I turn the screen around it doesn't switch to Tablet Mode, whereas it did before I refreshed. I saw your comment about ymc.exe and went to services in Task Manager and there isn't a ymc.exe.

I'm guessing during the refresh it didn't make it back. Can you please tell me how to get ymc.exe back? 

Thank you!

nowakezone
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,800
Message 14 of 34

Found it! Another thread search resulting from language in this one resulted in finding the thread with the link to Transitions download. Now my 11S and Windows 10 are perfect!!!
taxibusca
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,485
Message 15 of 34

Just want to push this thread so that the Lenovo Engineers can pay attention to this.

My Yoga 2 Pro is definitely slowing down so much that even normal browsing becomes impossible in Tablet/Tent mode. Then if it is switched back to Laptop mode it will be back to normal immediately. Very sure it has something to do with the DFTP driver which throttles the processor way too much in Table/Tent mode. The new driver released in July 2015 does not seem to work with Windows 10. I had no issue in any mode before upgrading to Windows 10. Also the driver has version *.2013 even though it was released in July 2015 and is supposed to be compatible with windows 10 but it doesn't seem to be the case now.

-Chun

ElenVinogradova
Paper Tape
Views: 5,471
Message 16 of 34

Hello, could you kindly send me the link to Transition version for Win10 as I faced the same problem?

jamesalfano
What's DOS?
Views: 5,381
Message 17 of 34

Thank you. The problem has been driving me nuts.

ManTownMedia
What's DOS?
Views: 5,171
Message 18 of 34

I had a similar experience...worked find after upgrading to windows 10 for quite a few weeks and now my Yoga is extremely slow. I decided to revert back to win 8.1 (plus I liked some of the features that win 10 deleted).

I actually enjoyed using my yoga 2 pro until just this past week. So, I am doing the System Recovery back to Win 8.1 and will have to reinstall all my programs again.
pmhoppe
Paper Tape
Views: 5,016
Message 19 of 34

I just stopped the ymc service and set it to manual. My Windows 10 table and tent mode lagging issue is cured! 

Thanks to all who contributed in this thread.

Heppie
Punch Card
Views: 5,006
Message 20 of 34

@pmhoppe wrote:

I just stopped the ymc service and set it to manual. My Windows 10 table and tent mode lagging issue is cured! 

Thanks to all who contributed in this thread.

I just found this thread and I may have to contribute some relevant information on the topics discussed here.

I have a Yoga 2 Pro (i5 Version with 256 GByte SSD) with the following software:

* Windows 10 Home clean install

* latest version of Lenovo transition available for the Y2P on support.lenovo.com

* DPTF enabled in BIOS with Intel DPTF drivers 8.1.10603.892 (see below)

Based on my test(s) the relationship between DPTF and YMC is as follows.

With YMC service running, the keyboard and touchpad become disabled already at an angle between display and the keyboard of slightly more than 180 degrees (display closed means angle is 0 degrees and in table mode the angle is 360 degrees).

When YMC service is stopped the keyboard gets only disabled at 360 degrees (in tablet mode) but not in the angles between 0 and 360. Thus, I think there is indeed a hardware switch disbling the keyboard in laptop mode but with YMC service running the keyboard is not only disabled tablet mode but also in other modes such as tent mode. In my opinion this should be the desired behavior.

With YMC disabled also the automated recognition of tablet mode in Windows 10 (Continuum) is completely useless because the "tablet activation event" is fired somehow in a randomized manner. On the other hand with YMC running, Windows 10 reliably switches to tablet mode at an angle of 180 degrees exactly at the moment when the keyboard is disabled.

Therefore, YMC service running is essential when you want to use other modes besides laptop and tablet mode and when running on Windows 10 an wanting to make use of Continuum

Concerning DPTF:

Since Windows 8.1 I had also performance problems (CPU speed heavily throttled on other modes than Laptop. I did a lot of tests and research and in my opinion the reason is definitely the DPTF driver available on support.lenovo.com (driver version 7.1.0.21). YMC service is only telling the DPTF driver when to throttle but throttling is done by DPTF.

Of course with YMC disabled maybe the event to initiate the throttling of the CPU is not sent to DPTF but that it is only the trigger for all.

I had some tests with the DPTF driver provided for the Yoga 3 Pro (on support.lenovo.com) which worked better compared to the Y2P driver but in the end I decided to disable DPTF in the BIOS. To deal with the heat production of the CPU in the other modes, I have just created an energy profile which sets the maximum power state of the CPU to 65% which limits the CPU to 1.5 GHz.

However, few days ago on 26 September some strange things happened with Windows update. Although, I had disabled DPTF in BIOS and also disallowed installation of drivers via Windows update, the follwing 3 driver packages were installed automatically:

Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Chipset Participant

Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Processor Participant

Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Manager

I couldn't even uninstall these packages via Apps&Features or in Installed Updates. I also couldn't check the driver version, because as long as DPTF is disabled in BIOS the devices are not visible in the device manager. After activation of DPTF in BIOS 3 devices became visible and the driver version of all 3 is 8.1.10603.892

Problem with the new driver is that is doesn't throttle the CPU at all. It can reach full speed of up to 2.7 GHz even in tablet mode and I am not use if the display can be damaged in this case by the heat produced by the CPU.

Therefore I still use my energy profile with maximum power state of 65% but decided to leave DPTF enabled in the BIOS.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors