Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

08-04-2015

Germany

22 Signins

161 Page Views

• Views: 161
  • Message 1 of 2

Yoga 2 Pro: Tablet mode enabled by closing the laptop and crashing minimized store apps

2015-08-04, 11:38 AM
Since clean installing Windows 10 on my Yoga 2 Pro I'm experiencing Store apps to become a complete white useless windows after waking up the device from standby. Further investigation brought up the following perceptions:

1) This only happens with Store apps minimized to the taskbar before getting the device into standby; Win32 apps are not affected

2) This only happens if the standby is initialized by closing the laptop and NOT manually through the start menu

The second one got me wondered. After some puzzling around I remembered that I - as a Windows Insider - some time ago observed that the tablet mode in Windows 10 is initialized even if the screen is almost closed. Back then I tested this also on my installation of Windows 8.1 and came to the conclusion that even there the keyboard and touchpad get disabled by nearly closing the laptop. Back then there was no tablet mode so that it was not noticeable at first sight but could be tested by using the touchpad and keyboard with the screen close to the keyboard.

So ymc.exe as part of Lenovo Transition 2.0 seems not able to detect in which direction the screen is rotated. There seems to be some angle at which the mechanism is initialized regardless whether the screen is rotated AROUND the machine for using the tent or tablet mode OR rotated CLOSE to the keyboard. This seems by design.

Problem with this for Windows 10 is: It's getting Store apps crashed that are minimized to the taskbar if the option to always switch to tablet mode automatically is ticked on because the machine changes into tablet mode before sleeping down and changes back to desktop mode if waking up. It seems like minimized Store apps don't support this kind of behavior and are getting totally blank and unusable.

I clean installed Windows 10 from scratch and everything is set up the right way. I have an secondary Installation of Windows 10 for testing purposes (Insider Preview) on a secondary partition of this machine that is set up with the same Windows 10 release build and am able to reproduce this behavior there, too.

Workaround for now is to disable the option to change the mode automatically. Besides the crashing apps this behavior of the device is at least unattractive as Windows and/or the start menu get resized all of a sudden after waking up the device.

Is it technically possible for a newer version of Lenovo Transition to be able to invoke the tablet mode only if the screen is rotated around the device and not by closing the laptop to prevent minimized Store apps from getting blank and unusable?
Options

13 Posts

08-04-2015

Germany

22 Signins

161 Page Views

• Views: 161
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga 2 Pro: Tablet mode enabled by closing the laptop and crashing minimized store apps

2015-08-04, 14:17 PM

It seems that this problem also mainly occurs if the system is set to get locked automatically after waking up from standby. Note that the default setting for Windows 10 under Settings --> Accounts --> Sign-in options is to not lock the device after waking up from sleep. Without that option turned on the problem described above doesn't occur most of the time. Although even then I see it from time to time.

Because this is lowering my security this is just another workaround for this problem.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms