cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 79,303

Image scaling issues may occur in some 3rd party applications due to exceptionaly high resolution screeen.

In some applications, control buttons, menu items, or overall appearance may be very small.

Most applications are designed for displays with resolutions lower than the display on the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.  Typical applications expect a maximum resolution of 1920x1080, or full High Definition, compared to the Yoga 2 Pro’s default and recommended resolution of 3200x1800, or QHD+.

Windows 8.1 offers superior scaling support over Windows 8, specifically to address this gap.  However, it is not perfect.  While many applications do scale effectively,  others do not. In some instances, the mode in which the application is run makes a difference.

As an example,please compare the following screen shots of Google’s Chrome browser, version 30.0.1599.101m.

First, here’s Chrome running in Desktop mode, viewing the lenovo.com homepage:

y2p scaling 1.png

This one looks fairly normal and is as expected.

Now, compare to Chrome in Windows8 mode, viewing the same page:

y2p scaling 2.png

The navigation buttons are very small, and the page’s content does not use the full screen. 

This is due to a scaling shortcoming when running Chrome in Windows 8 mode.  It is possible to hold down the Ctrl key and press + to zoom in the page content, but this will have no effect on the navigation buttons or menu items.

While many third party apps do not yet scale properly, the issue is not limited strictly to third parties.  Windows Media Player exhibits the same scaling issue.  For the moment, this is a side effect of using an ultra high resolution panel.  As more developers work with high resolution panels, more applications will begin scaling effectively.

As a workaround, you could try the following:

1. Go to Chrome -> Settings

chrome1.jpg
2. Select "Show Advanced settings" 

chrome2.jpg
3. Scroll down to "Web content" 

4. Page zoom change to "250%" or whatever zoom you are comfortable with.

chrome3.jpg

Was this information helpful?

Comments
Venefica

yeah this really sucks somehow. the toolbar is really small and you can forget using the touch display with chrome or media player. Smiley Sad

dlucas1650

I'm having difficulty with several third party programs. Including Sugarsync, Mendeley and Quicken. Are there no additional options for this problem? 

CR2

Pressing the FN key and the + (plus) key at the same time also helps enlarge some of the items that are not enlarged with the CTRL and + key.

CR2

One problem is the sizing issue, which is illustrated above.  The other has to do with inconsistency of font and icon sizing, with some of those items not resizing when font and icon settings are changed.  Both are annoying, but the latter impairs the ability to use the computer when I can barely read and cannot touch super-tiny buttons. 

This is not limited to Web browsing or Windows 8 mode.  It has happened in desktop mode and with: Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office, and most recently, with a pop-up for an Intel update.  I have not yet loaded all software on the Y2P because I'm afraid this is never going to be a fully functional computer. 

By the way, I called Lenovo Tech Support on this and they wanted to charge me a fee to fix it (suggesting it was tied to font settings, which I have increased), yet apparently, there is no fix.  Is that correct?

What is Lenovo doing to fix this?  And has Lenovo notified software development companies accordingly? 

Thanks.

tommertz

I'm not sure what you mean by "third party applications." Is Microsoft Office a third party application? It has the same problems. The fix turns out to be pretty simple:

1.Open Screen Resolution and step it down to 1600X900

2. Go to the Display control panel, click "let me choose one scaling level for all displays" and set it to Smallest 100%.

After I did this, Microsoft Office, Jing, SnagIt, Camtasia and Skype all  became usable.

juleslenovo

I also have a resolution problem after starting to use a dual monitor dock, which I described in this thread:  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-Pro-2-Dock-Port-Replicator/m-p/1540978/highlight/false#M20790

I will try the suggestions in this thread.

js6864

Tommertz' solution did not fix this issue for me with quicken and quickbooks.    Is this a Win 8 issue or a Y2P issue?

husin_gatari
I have the same issues with my Yoga 2 Pro 13".This pad is very expensive in price but very ugly in its displays. If CR2 had called Lenovo Tech Support on these issues and they wanted to charge him a fee to fix it what a shameful act of Lenovo TS .!! We bought Lenovo and we didn't know these issues, we expected Yoga 2 is the better than others brands. Lenovo suppose to announce these issues in their advertisements so people can choose which one their will buy Yoga 2 or Apple Mac Pro MD866.
mmk412

I'm having trouble typing text on my Yoga Pro 2 computer. When I first log on with my password everything is fine. I type normally and I don't experience any problems. Once I get into windows, every time I try to type something I have to hold down the key for about a second before the character appears. I'm guessing this is a Windows 8.1 problem but I don't have a clue to what caused it or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

synasoft

I want to know why Lenovo is still selling these computers with this obvious tragic flaw.  I so regret my decision, as I use  graphics programs heavily for my livelihood.  I think Lenovo considers the Yoga 2 Pro as more of a "super" tablet than as a PC.  $1,300 is a lot for a giant tablet.

gislepa

I bought my Yoga 2 Pro just a couple of weeks ago without knowing about this display issue. I was very dissapointed when I discovered this rather annoying problem with scaling of some elements as toolbars, icons and text. I am using so called third party software and it was practically not possible to use this with my new laptop. I have tried to read in several forums, and I have not been able to see solutions anywhere.

Anyway, I had a experience today that may be could be useful to know about for others as well.

I did the following two things with my laptop today:

- I rebooted and opened the BIOS to se if there was any preferences which I could adjust. It was not, so I continiued with booting.

- Via the control panel I opened the controlpanel and device manager to view the graphics card (Intel (R) HD graphics family) to see if there was any options here. I tried to upgrade the driver, but got a message that I already had the best driver for this unit.

So, after this, I concluded with problem not solved. 

Later I started my third party software to work with this poor scaled graphics but discovered that the graphics suddenly looked normal. The toolbars just perfect, the text in dialogboxes as well. I don't know what affected this, but it just works...

May be this could lead to a solution for Lenovo? 

gislepa

gislepa
I may have som new information on this: I thought above that the problem was solved, but it was not. The next time I started up the scaling issue still was present.

I did continiue to seek for a solution on this rather annoying issue. I found an article that suggested to upgrade the hardware drivers. I visited Intels pages and tried to do so. It did not work before I had uninstalled the present drivers (from Control Panel). I did so, and then installed the new driver from Intel.

After this the scaling issue is fixed on mye Lenovo Yoga 2 PRO!

It is quite surprising and disappointing that Lenovo don't give us some solutions here. A high cost laptop that does not function properly. It is may be an operating system problem as well, but still not a very known problem on other machines. Lenovo should give some contribution! Now I have been using a couple of days on trying ti fix this issue, the price of this laptop has been doubled :-(
bimmer123

Could you provide the step by step instructions? Thanks!

cojacket

I applied tommertz's solution. From the desktop, right click and select Screen Resolution. Set it to 1600 X 900. I did not select the Smallest Zoom but instead used the Large Zoom. I then rebooted and everything is now legible in the programs I'm using. IE, Office, etc.

It was an easy solution.

Pumpkin1

Guess I'm not the only one that is heavily disappointed by the graphics display.

The suggestion to downsize to 1900x1600 seems to just be a kludge - why buy a screen with 1.5x that? Some items work fine: Firefox and MS Office. Evernote seems to be OK if the text is the same in a note but if there is a mix of fonts or font sizes its a mess. I cannot read the SpiderOak screen unless my nose is litterally on it. Even YouTube is tough to get the Run/Pause controls....

I'd still like to hear more about the driver update that worked for gislepa. I assume it was a graphics drive???? Comment?

Does Lenovo lurk these forums or just let us figure it out for ourselves? If the latter, it will be my LAST PC buy from them...

Pumpkin1

I tried changed screen res down to 1900x1600 - and Evernote looks as crappy as it did before and Spider Oak is still miniscule.

I downloaded Intel's Driver "sniffer" (or whatever) and after it ran I got a terse (paraphrasin), the PC uses a proprietary video driver and replacing it with a generic one risks making aspects of your PC to not work.

Great, just great.

gislepa

I am sorry that it has been a while since I have visited this forum. My Yoga 2 Pro has functioned in a way since my last post in november 2014. The scaling issue has forced me to restart the laptop every time I've changed display (laptop screen on the move and a desktop screen in the office). But it worked somehow. Suddenly a couple of weeks ago it all went bad again. Even the screen flickering mentioned in other treads in this forum is now present. I admit I doesn't have a clue of what the reason is.  I am a simple geotechnical engineer and not an expert on computer science... (which I apparently should been to get anything out of this extraordinary laptop).

But I indeed have found a solution that works for me: I put this orange coloured laptop in a locker and have bought another laptop that works just perfect with beautiful graphics and with the double battery life. And now: No flickering, no yellow issue, no scaling issue, no wifi issue (I have not had the energy to even mention that).

Sorry Lenovo, this is just not good enough.

MichaelJCarlson

On my Y2P, I have some 3rd party software that I installed designed for lower resolution. I cranked up the size, but this put a heavy burdon on the CPU.

So I turned down the size of the objects and text in my software, and then tried turning down my resolution of my PC, as well as turning up the text/object sizes. After a logoff and logon, I thought I was good to go. The software worked great!

After about 20 minutes, I was surfing the web, and found something very irritating...

The trackpad scrolling was near unusable. Using the 2 finger scroll, it would jump wildly and resize the screen almost randomly. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

I basically have given up using the third party software.... Instead I remote into a computer that has the software installed and use it there. Maybe Windows 10 will have a fix, but for now, I will have to deal with it.

I have owned my Y2P for about 6 months, and I cannot believe that a higher resolution has given me so much grief... I was in love, when I first bought it. But now, having yet to see anything helpful from Lenovo, it's a love/hate relationship...

Michael J Carlson

IT student

krg03

This is really dumb. however some apps like adobe put a preference for 250% which then when you look at it on an external monitor its really big so you have to size that down in the graphics settings for that monitor.

milmal

I am having this problem with win10 on a X1 Yoga. It can be bypassed by restarting when transitioning from connected to dock/not connected to dock.

Mc_yoga900

I am having this problem with win10 on a Yoga900 to on some software. (Maple, TexStudio etc.)

Did you solve the problem ? It is very teaser situation :// Please help.

Thank you.