cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tourist
Paper Tape
Views: 2,940
Message 141 of 202

Re: Yoga 2 Pro WiFi Replacement Cards????

Update to previous post.

I was in quite a rush when installing the 7260NGW card. Subsequently, I didn't have a lot of time to troubleshoot. Well, I sat down with the laptop today, and I figured out the problem. I had not screwed the back cover on before trying to use the new card. Once I screwed them in, everything was working flawlessly (after a driver update). I can't imagine why this would be the case, but I am 100% certain that this was the cause. Interestingly, the Lenovo Transition app was acting very strangely without the screws in as well. When the laptop closed, it thought the laptop was in "tablet" mode. Something to do with the magnets in the back cover?? Anyway, very glad I'm not going to have to follow-through with the RMA.

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,935
Message 142 of 202

Anyhow, this is an update regarding my 7260 installation:

For one, I am an idiot.... Thought my computer was off, however, it was in sleep mode. :smileysad: Got lucky though.... my only problem--as a result of this--was that Windows read all my wifi connections as WIFI 2 (since it saw a new wifi and not a replacement from boot).

For absent minded people like me, who replaced the Wifi card with the computer on:

Enter Device Mananger
Click View and then click Show Hidden Devices.
Expand the Network Adapters tree
Delete the Intel 7260N device
Click View and then click Show Hidden Devices, to unselected the option.
Navigate to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
Right Click WIFI - 2
Rename WIFI

Although leaving the computer on is NOT ADVISABLE, hopefully people can learn from this experience.

Hardest part was unscrewing the **bleep** wifi card... Also my torx bit got stripped (not the screw, the bit). Spent 4.50 on torx bits. Small price to pay for this wifi card.

Kona
Punch Card
Views: 2,926
Message 143 of 202

Maybe the next person can try updating the card in the middle of a big download Smiley Wink

cjsimbo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,864
Message 144 of 202

--I purchased my Yoga 2.13 in March of 2014 from Best Buy. From the first day of use this unit has had crummy wifi. And I have experienced most of the problems you all are talking about: poor range, reduced bandwidth, wifi connection droppage, etc. I've been in and out of the Lenovo tech phone support and chat. In all cases the tech support were very deligent in trying to resolve the problem. They either jumped in remotely to reset and update thing or had me do it... And they did this over extended periods of time.

-- So even though we have been doing this over and over for 4 months the problem has persisted. In all cases the tech support at Lenovo recommended Netword adapter card driver updates or roll backs for the default N7260 wireless card + a range of power management config changes. None of these chnages corrected the problems (as others have noted). The same probelm scan be tracked on other sites (see Intel and Dell forums). The real probelm is tied to Intel's drivers and or the full Intell " ProSet Wireless software package". After reading about all the users in this forum upgrading manually to newer card and many of them running into a range of compatibility problems and or voiding the support warranty by way of the hardware home DIY fix... I decided to just stay focused on the driver situation without diving into a hardware fix. Long story short... There is a 6-26-14 Intel ProSet Wireless software update (one for drivers only and a full update to the whole setup). So without going into all the details... Last night I wen ahead and downloaded the full ProSet Wireless package (87MB) and ran this installer on my Yoga 2.13 (model # 20244) and this update finally fixed the problem. I have not run a full range of performance test, but the wifi range and performance now matches other normally performing laptops in my house... easy download/play of HD videos and snappy web interaction (an other wifi enabled devices).  Here is the link to this Intel ProSet software package https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldId=23994

- Use the installer named "Wireless_17.0.5_e164.exe". So thank you Lenvoo for trying so hard to fix this problem and curse you Intel for locking us N7260 Single Band 2.4GZ users in wifi limbo. Happy to report my Yoga 2 is now finally as awesome as I thought it would be!! Cheers   Man Very Happy

Highlighted
radioboy
Punch Card
Views: 2,785
Message 145 of 202

*THANK YOU* for posting this link. I just bought this laptop yesterday and I've had TERRIBLE WiFi connection issues everywhere I've tried. Home, office, coffee shop...I could not hold a connection for more than a few minutes at a time.

After downloading that package from Intel (which took 4 tries due to disconnecting issues), I was finally able to instal and restart... after that, my connection has been ROCK SOLID...something I would expect from a $1200 laptop.

Without your link and instructions, I never would have been able to figure this problem out...so again, I thank you, cjsimbo!

Skibumwi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,775
Message 146 of 202

The Fix also seems to work on the Yoga 2 13.  Prior to the firmware upgrade I could run Speedtest and see the download speed vary all over the graph, after the upgrade the upgrade Speedtest goes to 20Mbps and STAYS their until the end of the test.

Ski

skeeb422
What's DOS?
Views: 2,600
Message 147 of 202

It appears to me that Lenovo has fixed this issue by shipping new laptops with an upgraded AC 7260 card. 

I bought my Yoga 2 pro from best buy on 7/24/14 and it came with the AC card instead of the 7260N. 

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,586
Message 148 of 202

Becareful guys, the new drivers breaks the ac radio capabilities.
Skibumwi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,572
Message 149 of 202

Which Card? Intel, MFactor? Do the Intel drivers work?

Thanks

radioboy
Punch Card
Views: 2,559
Message 150 of 202

I'm not seeing this with the upgraded drivers...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors