Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smallmountain
What's DOS?
Views: 12,786
Message 1 of 14

Yoga 2 Pro Windows 10 screen flicker

Hey,

I have a Yoga Pro 2.  After I upgraded to Windows 10, the screen will be fine for awhile, and then it will suddenly start flickering, turning black for a second or two, then the screen coming back on briefly, then back off, on and on for as long as 30 seconds.  I try to switch applications to see if I can kick it out of this mode, and maybe that works or maybe it just fixes itself eventually.  I have video of this happening, if anyone wants to see it.

I took it to a Microsoft Store, and they were baffled, thinking it was graphics driver, but noticing that I had the most current graphics driver installed.

What's up with this?

Thanks,

Eric

blero
WWAN
Views: 12,707
Message 2 of 14

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Windows 10 screen flicker

Hello,

You should try and update the BIOS to the latest version.

marcoitaly
What's DOS?
Views: 12,598
Message 3 of 14

Same issue here.

Lenovo Y P 2, windows 10. Everything up to date: win patch, BIOS, hardware drivers...

flickering can be stopped only with ctrl+alt+canc 

Seems to be a w10 bug affecting several laptop brands/models

smallmountain
What's DOS?
Views: 12,582
Message 4 of 14

I did the BIOS update as suggested by blero (and Microsoft also actually), and since then, I have not seen the flicker.  I'll report back if I see the flicker again.

Not sure what Ctrl+Alt+Canc is . . . .

I3iggy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,571
Message 5 of 14

yeah my y2p is doing this too. but mine also did it in windows 8.1 too... always thought it was the graphics driver until I got to windows 10 (fresh install) with a new driver and it's still happening...

smallmountain
What's DOS?
Views: 12,475
Message 6 of 14

Sad to report that the screen flicker is back, having happened twice today.

Why would I ever consider buying a Lenovo product again if they don't get stuff like this fixed?

jizo
Paper Tape
Views: 12,437
Message 7 of 14

I had this problem too... And it came back again...

My original fix was going to the Intel Graphics Control Panel >> Power Options >> TURN OFF Panel Refresh option

this worked for many many months. until late december 2015 or early january 2016 when Windows Update removed or replaced the intel graphics control panel with a "newer" version. Yup I AM PISSED! this sucks. 

if anyone finds a work around to uninstall the new Intel Graphics Control Panel or re-install the OLD Intel Graphics Control Panel it would be awesome! hint hint...

p.s. I am pretty sure that the screen flickering thing only happens when the laptop isn't plugged in. not that that helps any, I think it is a battery usage/screen refresh problem. ugh!

jizo
Paper Tape
Views: 12,431
Message 8 of 14

UPDATE: found the Intel Graphics Control Panel > Power Settings >> On Battery >> Panel Refresh >> disable

EXCEPT everytime I hit disable and ok, it crashes Smiley Sad

jizo
Paper Tape
Views: 12,357
Message 9 of 14

Soooo... I found a super duper crappy work around and hack to make the screen flicker go away.

The main problem is that the newest Intel Graphics Driver, which is automatically updated by Windows 10 update, seems to be not completely compatible with Windows 10. So my original fix (i.e. using Intel Graphics HD Control Panel to DISABLE the screen self-refresh rate when the yoga 2 pro is on battery keeps crashing when I try to open it).

SO... I disabled Windows 10 Update. Which sucked because the major problem is that Windows 10 Update (after one of the major updates in late December or early January, not sure exactly which one) does not allow you to choose which updates you want to install or even let you choose if updates are delivered only how they are delivered.

And WORSE,  when you go to Services to try to set Windows Update to "Manual," Windows only lets you choose "Manual Trigger Start," so you have to actually DISABLE Windows Update if you don't want your drivers to be forced err... "automatically" updated every time you shutdown your computer.

STEP 1 = To DISABLE your Windows 10 update go to control panel and select disable.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Scroll to the bottom > Windows Update > Startup Type > Choose DISABLE> Apply > OK

STEP 2 = Install Intel Driver Update Utility from link below... 

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu

Open Intel Driver Update Utility after it has been installed. Scan for new drivers.

Then DOWNLOAD & INSTALL the following EXACT driver!!!

>>> Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 10 64-bit (3rd gen & BYT) ... version = 15.33.38.64.42.52

STEP 3 = To FIX the screen flicker using Intel HD Graphics Control Panel

Hit the Windows Key + s, type Intel HD. Then select Intel HD Graphics Control Panel from the query list. Then DISABLE the Panel Self-Refresh from the On Battery settings.

Intel HD Graphics Control Panel > Power > On Battery > Panel Self-Refresh > Select DISABLE > Apply > Yes

This fixed my flickering screen. But you have to disable Windows 10 Updates to do so. If for some reason there was a Windows 10 update that you actually wanted to enable; you would have to go back to Services and enable your Windows 10 update then let Windows 10 update EVERYTHING, since you can't really choose which updates to install. Then afterwards Repeat Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3. You would have to do this EACH time you want Windows 10 Updates to be installed, or the screen flicker will come back UNLESS by some act of god... Windows 10 and Intel Graphics Control Panel are actually FIXED and COMPATIBLE.

cheers! let me know if this worked for you!

sonarvord
What's DOS?
Views: 12,069
Message 10 of 14

Me too!  Did you happen to hear anything from Lenovo on this?  Did you find a good fix or workaround?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors