Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-21-2015

Munich

2 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 1 of 10

Yoga 2 Pro/Yoga 3 Pro - Missing BIOS function to automatically boot the Yoga at specific time

2015-05-21, 12:42 PM

Hi,

after using Google and searching through forums I'm still stuck with the following problem. For a installation at the Deutsches Museum in Munich I need the Yoga to boot itself at a defined date/time. Shutting down is not the problem, but automatic boot is.

Normally there are two ways how to do this

- Wake on LAN

- Wake on RTC

- Wake on Power (if a PC gets connected to a power source it will start automatically)

I'm missing those options in the BIOS settings. But maybe I've overread something. Maybe I have to look somewhere else.

The only source I found (not yet tested) was https://tinkertry.com/wol-over-usb3 where I have to built my own solution.

Anyway, is there any chance to boot the the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro or Yoga 3 Pro at a specific date/time?

Best wishes

Options

9 Posts

07-04-2015

France

22 Signins

111 Page Views

• Views: 111
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Yoga 2 Pro/Yoga 3 Pro - Missing BIOS function to automatically boot the Yoga at specific time

2015-10-04, 5:17 AM

I have been spending hours to find a way to apply WOL to a yoga 3 pro. I could not believe that it is simply not there. Is that to protect the user or a mistake?

Is there an update I missed somewhere, or is a correction  being prepared?

Thanks

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 3 of 10

Re: Yoga 2 Pro/Yoga 3 Pro - Missing BIOS function to automatically boot the Yoga at specific time

2015-10-04, 10:28 AM

wrote:

I have been spending hours to find a way to apply WOL to a yoga 3 pro. I could not believe that it is simply not there. Is that to protect the user or a mistake?

Is there an update I missed somewhere, or is a correction  being prepared?

Thanks

Are you sure it's not there? The Yoga 3 Pro I have uses a Broadcomm network adaptor. If I look at the Power Management tab in the Properties display in Device Manager for the adaptor, then there is a setting to allow a WOL magic packet to wake the computer...

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

9 Posts

07-04-2015

France

22 Signins

111 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2015-10-04, 11:44 AM

I do not find anything in the BIOS, but WOL can come under different terms that I don't know. I have been looking for the BIOS specs, but can't find them.

I have a Yoga 3 pro laptop and a desktop. .

The applications Team viewer and Multiplicity work both ways, except for the wake up function, where they can wake up the desktop, but not the laptop. The same for Wake on lan.

In addition, and I guess it is related, I can see the desktop scheduled tasks from the laptop, but when I try the same from the desktop, it says I have no permission.

I seem to be missing something in the firewall, or services, but I ran out of ideas.

Sorry to sound a bit messy, but that is the state of my head.

Any suggestions

Options

9 Posts

07-04-2015

France

22 Signins

111 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2015-10-05, 11:07 AM

he Wake on Lan application gives me the following message when i try to put the laptop to sleep:

'Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT:0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)'

And yet, the Remote desktop function of WOL works fine and brings me the laptop screen on the desktop.

I have 2 questions: 1) is there a WOL option in the Yoga 3 pro, and 2), what could be the most likely cause of my access problem?

Thanks

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2015-10-05, 19:46 PM

I'm sorry, I'm not having much luck here. I've tried using the WOL application that I think you are using on a few systems here (a Yoga 3 Pro, a ThinkPad 10 and a Surface 3). No joy here in getting any of them to wake - although a wired system works fine.

And I'm getting the same Access Denied message that you quote on trying to get the wireless systems (including the Surface 3) to sleep - could this be a bug in the application?

As far as I know, there is no BIOS setting in the Yoga 3 Pro required for WOL - I think it should all be down to the settings in the network adaptor in the Device Manager. Traditional PC Motherboards do seem to have a BIOS setting for WOL, but none of the tablet BIOSes I've looked at do...

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

9 Posts

07-04-2015

France

22 Signins

111 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2015-10-06, 3:49 AM

Thanks,

Could you try also to access the taskscheduler of your pro 3 from anoter computer: control X >> Taskscheduler >> Action >> Connect to another computer.

Frrom laptop to desktop no problem, but Access denied when I try the other way around. Same symptoms with both firewalls off:

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2015-10-06, 11:50 AM

Can't connect to any computers using Task Scheduler - get "remote computer not found" in all cases. Something else must be going on here.

Options

9 Posts

07-04-2015

France

22 Signins

111 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2015-10-06, 17:05 PM

Lenovo confirmed that the 3 Pro is not equiped with Wol. I have no idea why. The 3 Pro is not exactly cheap.

I can see the tasks in the desktop (Dell) when I connect from the laptop, but not the other was around (no access, etc...).

I am not the best person to explain how I did that, because over the last few days I have changed so many settings, services, firewall parameters, I really do not remember what I did in particular for the task schedular.  

I do know there are a lot of helpful explanations on the web.

Good luck

Options

1 Posts

10-20-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 0
  • Message 10 of 10

Yoga 2 Pro/Yoga 3 Pro - Missing BIOS function to automatically boot the Yoga at specific time

2020-10-20, 11:11 AM
Connect the USB supply to a smart socket.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms