Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-14-2014

USA

5 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 1 of 27

Yoga 2 Pro audio jack problem

2014-01-14, 14:03 PM

I have a brand new Yoga 2 Pro that has an audio jack problem I have seen reported elsewhere here.

Symptoms:

The internal speakers play audio just fine.  When I plug in a pair of headphones into the jack on the right side of the unit, no audio comes out of the headphones.  The internal speaker continues to produce audio as if there is nothing plugged in. 

Failed solutions:

I've tried using various types of headphones.  No change.

I tried re-downloading the audio realtek drivers from the lenovo website and re-installing them.  No change.

I tried rolling back the audio driver to the Windows version.  No change.

Is there anything else I can try?   Non-working audio jack makes this a dealbreaker and I'll need to return the unit.

Update:

According to Lenovo phone support, all my headphones are 3.5mm and they need to be 2.5mm.  Frankly, I think they have it backwards and what I have are 2.5mm plugs, but either way I'm headed to radio shack to find an adapter to make this work.

Answer
Options

3 Posts

01-14-2014

USA

5 Signins

44 Page Views

Re: Yoga 2 Pro audio jack problem

2014-03-25, 18:49 PM

A quick follow up:

Indeed, the guy on the support line was incorrect.  I had the right audio jack, it was just a hardware problem.  I RMA'ed the laptop, which was a big pain, but it came back pretty fast and they had corrected the problem which hasn't recurred.

So it's fixed.

-S

Replies(26)
Options

7 Posts

01-18-2014

Canada

15 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 2 of 27

2014-03-25, 17:36 PM

I have the same problem with my new Yoga Pro 2. It has nothing with the size of jack. I suspect that when the pc sleeps it does not reconnect with all of the hardware upon resume. With the jack still plugged in (and not working), when I restart the system it then works fine. In other words it takes a restart to get the audio out to work after sleeping. I have no solution, I'm hoping that Intel Rapid Start, Microsoft, and Lenovo fix this annoyance over time.

Options

1 Posts

03-25-2014

Finland

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 3 of 27

2014-03-25, 18:28 PM

I have the same situation time to time, cannot really say why but I also suspect that recovering from sleep is a good candidate..

As said, it looks like that audio hw or driver does not notice that headphones are attached.

I found that opening the Realtek Audio Control and changin the volume level there "wakes" up the interface and audio output changes to headphones. Changing the Windows mixer audio levels does not help.

Answer
Options

3 Posts

01-14-2014

USA

5 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 4 of 27

2014-03-25, 18:49 PM

A quick follow up:

Indeed, the guy on the support line was incorrect.  I had the right audio jack, it was just a hardware problem.  I RMA'ed the laptop, which was a big pain, but it came back pretty fast and they had corrected the problem which hasn't recurred.

So it's fixed.

-S

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

7 Posts

01-18-2014

Canada

15 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 5 of 27

2014-03-27, 15:16 PM

I have been successfully using OneFinn's suggestion "I found that opening the Realtek Audio Control and changin the volume level there "wakes" up the interface and audio output changes to headphones". Its a workaround until the vendors hopefully solve this issue.

Options

34 Posts

12-16-2013

england

136 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 6 of 27

2014-03-28, 9:39 AM

Mine does the same. I found that if I mute the sound and then immediately unmute it again, the sound comes on. It's pretty trivial to do in the W8.1 interface, so it's something I can live with.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 7 of 27

2014-06-06, 15:45 PM

All,

I saw a related comment on twitter today that brought me back to this thread.   It sounds like there could be a couple potential issues here depending on whether the system is acting as if the headphone jack is inserted (when it is not) and turning off the internal speakers or failing to detect headphones that are inserted, and not turning off the internal speakers.

In the latter scenario, no detecting headphones when inserted, I would check that the correct diameter headphone jack is being used, then check the audio controls and see if this occurs after initial startup or only after suspending and resuming the system (from sleep).  If it never works, then contact service.

In the former scenarion, with false headphone detection, let's check the audio controls again.   

We will try this on a Yoga 2 pro in the lab, but I'd like some more feedback here as we try to explore this.

Thanks!

Mark

Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Views: 25513
  • Message 8 of 27

2014-06-06, 16:39 PM

wrote:

All,

I saw a related comment on twitter today that brought me back to this thread.   It sounds like there could be a couple potential issues here depending on whether the system is acting as if the headphone jack is inserted (when it is not) and turning off the internal speakers or failing to detect headphones that are inserted, and not turning off the internal speakers.

In the latter scenario, no detecting headphones when inserted, I would check that the correct diameter headphone jack is being used, then check the audio controls and see if this occurs after initial startup or only after suspending and resuming the system (from sleep).  If it never works, then contact service.

In the former scenarion, with false headphone detection, let's check the audio controls again.   

We will try this on a Yoga 2 pro in the lab, but I'd like some more feedback here as we try to explore this.

Thanks!

Mark

I had this problem only once..... I had unplugged my headphones and no audio came out of the speaker. Reboot/uninstalling the driver did not help. Then I plugged in the headphone, in and out, super fast, for like 30x till I heard music playing on my speaker upon disconnect. Since then, no issues. 

I believe there is a more detailed thread regarding the issue and community unofficial fix.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-2-pro-sound-problem/td-p/1299799/highlight/true

Options

1 Posts

06-29-2014

Raleigh, NC

1 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 9 of 27

2014-06-29, 1:30 AM

I am experiencing the same thing with the audio jack.  It worked a couple of time then no more.  Tried everything, so I plan on returning it.  Also, having other issues. Black and white screen appears on my browser and can only shut down to get rid of it. 

Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Views: 25513
  • Message 10 of 27

2014-06-29, 2:00 AM
Plugin headphones in/out quickly about 30xs till you hear music play through the speakers.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)