Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

08-24-2014

Italy

11 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 1 of 4

Yoga 2 Pro: broken monitor or driver problem?

2019-01-25, 8:54 AM

Hi all. I recently (18 Nov 2018) bought a Windows 10 OEM license, just after a Windows reinstallation. A pair of days later, my monitor started with a strange behavior.

Suddenly, and in casually moments, it turns off while system is running, or it turns on/off repeatedly.

I tried a downgrade driver of monitor, and for a day the problem seemed resolved, but after time, returned.

Could be a driver problem, or i MUST consider a monitor damage? I bought it in 2014, but the behavior comes sometimes. The notebook is anyway usable.

Options

312 Posts

11-19-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1897 Signins

9880 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 9880
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 2 Pro: broken monitor or driver problem?

2019-01-25, 16:18 PM

Is this happening only when on battery power? If so:

I saw these symptoms a while ago, but only when on battery power alone. I sort of assumed it was down to the battery getting old. Since I use my Yoga 2 Pro with the power lead connected almost all of the time anyway I wasn't too bothered about it.

I have ocassionally run on battery alone briefly since and haven't had it happen for a long while.  I haven't updated the drivers except when it's been done automatically.

(I tried to do a quick test on it to see if it might happen again if I went on battery alone but it didn't, though perhaps it wasn't long enough to be sure).

I'd suggest checking the health of your battery - perhaps it is that. With it's high resolution the screen will be a big drain on battery power. Otherwise I'd suggest installing the Intel drivers that are on the support page and see if that helps. 

Which drivers did you downgrade - the monitor ones or the Intel HD graphics? It might be worth trying to reinstall both if you haven't already. 

In my case I don't think it was a problem with the screen or graphics hardware - never had the problem when on mains power.

Options

9 Posts

08-24-2014

Italy

11 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-01-28, 14:17 PM

I never noticed that..... it happens only on battery alimentation.

In effect, are two days that I make tests, and the problem "appears" only with battery.

Two days are not long but neither short time.

I searched driver in this page, but there is only Display and Video Graphics, that should be the card, not the monitor.

Could be the end of the battery?

And it can be changed, that you know?

Options

312 Posts

11-19-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1897 Signins

9880 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 9880
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-01-28, 15:22 PM

The issue could be battery, it could be graphics driver - what you are saying suggests the battery but that's not certain. (I thought you might only have tried to update the monitor driver - that's why I mentioned both that and the graphics driver. The graphics card or driver would be the more likely to be a problem.)

The monitor driver is generic, so not on Lenovo site - updates would come through windows automatic updates.

The battery can be changed - ifixit.com or finding a download for the maintenance manual would give you an idea of what's involved.

However, I would not recommend doing this unless a) you are certain this is the source of your problem and b) you are confident about doing it correctly and the source of your replacement battery.

I can't tell you whether your battery is still good or not. I would suggest investigating battery health as I said earlier. (I am not knowledgeable about that, so I can't advise about doing that.)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms