Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mitchellvii
HDMI
Views: 4,711
Message 1 of 15

Yoga 2 Pro fan suddenly going nuts :-(

Ugh, I so want to love this machine but it seems like every day it is something new to deal with.

This morning just readiing the news my fan started making this funny whirring, lightly grinding sort of noise.  I noticed because it has always been silent up until now except for the soft rush of air when it ran.

Not only was it making this noise but it would start, grind, spin up, run for about 5 seconds then stop again.  Then 5 seconds later same thing, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat - maddening.  So I rebooted it and the weird spinup and grind sound went away - whew.

Now here I am hours later and the spin-up and stop business has started again.  No grinding this time but the off and on, off and on.  Even though it is not grinding now, I can actually hear the fan spinning (sort of a soft electronic hum) which I never did before - just heard the air.

What's the deal?  Anyone else getting this?

acvyse
Punch Card
Views: 4,704
Message 2 of 15

Re: Yoga 2 Pro fan suddenly going nuts :-(

I think you driving yourself nuts.  Try spraying some compressed air in the vents.  Might be some particulates in there or some dust that is holding the heat in.

mitchellvii
HDMI
Views: 4,690
Message 3 of 15

Last night I was watching some Netflix in bed and had the vents in a downward position against the covers.  Didn't even thing about it until I picked up the Y2P and it was the hottest it has ever been.  I am hoping I didn't fry the thermostat and now my fan is permanently full speed once it has gone through its on and off cycling.

Right now I am just web surfing and that sucker is blowing air harder than it ever has.

Just checked.  Max temp this entire session was only 68C.  No way my fan should be churning full speed at 68%.  Something is messed up.

acvyse
Punch Card
Views: 4,678
Message 4 of 15

I know you just checked the temps, but try to download Hardware Monitor from CPUID.  Then let me know what the SYSTEM temps are.

I would still spray some compressed air.  Also, if it got too hot, the computer would shut down preventing any kind of hardware failure.  I think now adays, this is a common protection method.

Edit: Added Link::

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

mitchellvii
HDMI
Views: 4,667
Message 5 of 15

Thanks for that.  Here is a screenshot.  As you can see, at these temps no need for fan to be going full blast.

As I type this fan has finally backed off and is running normally, i.e., sounds like about 1/2 speed.  I turned off indexing on my SSD in case that was the problem but didn't seem to have any immediate effect.

I guess the thing that has me the most concerned is that this odd behavior is following right after the unusual grinding noise and cycling this morning.  Who knows, maybe machine was doing some unusual maintenance in the background but didn't see any CPU churning in the Task Manager.

temps.JPG

mitchellvii
HDMI
Views: 4,657
Message 6 of 15

And now am back up to 64C and fans running full blast again.  So weird.  No dust.  This machine is only 2 days old.

It just seems that something has changed how fast the fans run based upon temps.  When I was in 40's and 50's fans were pretty quiet.  Got into low 60's and 100% again.  Running virus scan to make sure nothing is happening behind the scenes.

acvyse
Punch Card
Views: 4,640
Message 7 of 15

System temps are slightly high (51C) but expexted for a laptop.   Hmm....

Maybe someone else can post their temps?  Also, is there a fan diagnostic on HardwareMonitor?  (I forget)..just to see the RPMs of the fan. 

mitchellvii
HDMI
Views: 4,630
Message 8 of 15

Now the whole system has calmed down and running pretty much in the 40's with very light fan.  So so strange.

What caused my rig to suddenly run hotter and blast the fans and now back to normal?  Weird.  This morning if I even opened a web browser I cranked up to almost 70C, now running 42C doing the same thing.

Who knows.

acvyse
Punch Card
Views: 4,622
Message 9 of 15

Sounds like a background process of some sort, perhaps?  You never know with Windows.  There is a reason why windows PCs get much less battery life than some of the other competition.

mitchellvii
HDMI
Views: 4,595
Message 10 of 15

And just like that my fan has completely calmed down and behaving normally.  Weird.  Total freakout for about 4 hours then nothing.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors