Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinZone
Fanfold Paper
Views: 29,734
Message 1 of 15

Yoga 2 Pro lacks active digitizer?

Apparently Y2P does not have digitizer, so no use for taking notes in tablet mode?

Can somebody confirm that you cannot use an active digitizer pen with the device?

Not good for the 1000+ bucks machine...

MAybe would be better to wait for the Thinkpad Yoga?

bit101
Punch Card
Views: 29,727
Message 2 of 15

Re: Yoga 2 Pro lacks active digitizer?

Correct. Y2P - no digitizer. Thinkpad Yoga will have one.

MartinZone
Fanfold Paper
Views: 29,696
Message 3 of 15

Shame...
I put the money back into wallet..
So what is the tablet mode then for if not for a work on the move? Watching movies in Starbucks for 1000$?
mantl123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 29,243
Message 4 of 15

Yoga 2 Pro with 512 GB SSD looks great but not without digitizer I cannot make notes so I am looking for other products.

Thinkpad Yoga is no alternative: no I7 and no 512 GB SSD.

Thinkpad Flex ...no.

Will there be an update or a new version with a digitizer coming out soon?

mitchellvii
HDMI
Views: 29,229
Message 5 of 15

You can easily take notes on the Y2P using a stylus.  There are many with smaller tips for fine writing.  The primary issue you run into is palm rejection which is easily solved by resting your palm on a screen cleaning cloth as you write.  I do this all the time and it works quite well.  If your screen cloth is too thin and it allows "touches" through simply double it over.

In addition, a standard non active stylus is better for screen navigation and swiping web pages.  Active digitizers do not swipe well in Windows.

Other than palm rejection, the only thing an active digitizer does for you is provide pressure sensitivity, which for note taking is unnecessary.

danielc
Paper Tape
Views: 29,052
Message 6 of 15

I disagree. An active digitizer is a huge deal for taking high quality notes. The pens you're referring to don't even come close in performance to a proper active digitizer. The Yoga 2 Pro with the option for an active digitizer and an option for 16gb of memory would have been perfect. A real shame!
whatdoesitwant
Paper Tape
Views: 27,596
Message 7 of 15

I was so close to ordering. I was willing to go for the 8gb i7. This thread stopped me in my tracks.

I like the yoga 2 pro because of the size, the eye for design and the fact that the msata ssd can be swapped out. But no active digitizer makes it worthless for creative work. Compared to the yoga 2 pro the thinkpad yoga looks cheap, also 12" is just a bit too small as a canvas.

Might lenovo follow up with a wacom digitizer version or should i hope for the helix successor? The good thing about the yoga 2 pro is that it doesn't have a lot of potential breakpoints with no dock. Also less fan noice than the old helix.

bhima
What's DOS?
Views: 24,464
Message 8 of 15

The Yoga 2 Pro is almost the perfect content creation device for me as a designer. Alas, the lack of an active digitizer, and the thinkpad yoga being a bit too small has also made me close my wallet. I'm starting to smell what the Sony Vaio Fit 15 is cooking.
softballchic783
What's DOS?
Views: 24,409
Message 9 of 15

Yes, it does lack an active digitizer. I just bought my Yoga 2 but REALLY needed a laptop with a digitizer. HOWEVER, there are ways around this. In the same way that you can buy an external CD drive for computers without, you can buy equipment that allows you to use a pen. I have just recently ordered a Bamboo Pad from Wacom (still waiting on it to ship). It is basically a tablet connected to your computer with different programs for hand-writing. You can buy a wired or wireless pad. They also have several other products for graphic designers and such that has much more sensitivity. Their products have very high reviews. Professors at my college even use their products and it's marvelous. 

This is the web address: https://store.wacom.com/us/

Hope this helps!

bhima
What's DOS?
Views: 24,400
Message 10 of 15

Yeah I've been using standard Wacom tablets for well over a decade so I know what you are referring to Smiley Wink. There is a VERY big difference in drawing precision when you can actually draw on the screen instead of on a dedicated pad. Also, I don't count the Cintiq line since they are prohibitively expensive for what you get unless you work for a large design/game company.

Top Kudoed Authors