11-02-2013

USA

29 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 21 of 84

Re: Yoga 2 Pro micro-HDMi issue SOLVED

2013-12-31, 11:52 AM

This is exactly how mine acted. I just used the nail file to shave off another fraction of a hair and since then it has worked flawlessly. So just try shaving a bit more off... What you are experiencing is the same I experienced too... Until I fixed it :)

Good luck!

Options

12 Posts

11-02-2013

USA

29 Signins

190 Page Views

• Message 22 of 84

2013-12-31, 11:56 AM
It is a tough design they had to stick to. Rubberized outer shell... Hence the cable might not seat properly. Granted I was not happy about this problem. But if you spend the 5 minutes just to shave off some extra plastic off of the micro HDMi cable end it is worth it. The machine is now fully functional and I couldn't be happier.
Ultimately it's your decision though, of course. But I think the solution is easy and quick enough for most...
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 23 of 84

2014-01-02, 23:48 PM

All,

I'll re-read the thread, but it is sounding like a port / cable tolerance issue?  Some cables work and others need to be trimmed?

If you try the cables (un-trimmed) do they work fine on other systems?

We can take a look at this, I'm just trying to understand if it is varying dimensions amongst cable manufacturers or if the port is set a bit deeper in the Yoga 2 Pro?

Mark

Options

12 Posts

11-02-2013

USA

29 Signins

190 Page Views

• Message 24 of 84

2014-01-02, 23:58 PM

Hi Mark,

I can only speak for myself, but my micro-HDMi worked on another system. But worked on the Yoga 2 only at a very steep angle (had to angle UP and towards the back of the case). So I figured something was just not getting seated properly and took to the nail file. And really just shaving off a hair-width (or less) worth of cable plastic housing made the connection perfect. So the micro-HMDi port on the Yoga 2 must be a bit further in than expected. But really just a hair. Enough to cause some issues though...

Truth is I only used one micro-HMDi adapter on my Yoga 2. So I cannot comment on trying different manufacturers. But if you read a few posts before you will find some guys having better luck with different cables, meaning manufacturers perhaps having different tolerances for their connectors...

Options

2 Posts

01-03-2014

Malaysia

6 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 25 of 84

2014-01-03, 3:24 AM

Hi Mark,

I also have the same problem - I just purchased my computer about a week ago. I have tried 2 different cables, cheap and an expensive one (from belkin) and I get the same problem. It seems to work if I angle it a certain direction and I do not touch the computer at all. Any slight movements and I lose connection!

Can you please advise - I am thinking of sending it back to fix but I am not sure if this is an overarching design issue, or is it just my unit that is not working right.

I am tempted to try the fix suggested, but would be great if you could look into this to give us all a better understanding of the issue.

Thanks

SK

Options

3 Posts

01-03-2014

Ontario

7 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 26 of 84

2014-01-03, 15:53 PM

For anyone in Canada, try this cable from Amazon.ca for $6.99.  Slice off about 1mm of rubber with a utility knife, then it works perfectly.  I've done it with two of them because I move between two office locatins.  http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FGLSUJQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Options

9 Posts

10-26-2013

Connecticut, US

66 Signins

564 Page Views

• Views: 564
  • Message 27 of 84

2014-01-03, 22:40 PM

Mark

This is very definitely a mechanical issue with the micro HDMI socket on the Yoga 2 Pro.  I have used several cables on other systems and they work perfectly without trimming.  Once I trim with a knife (or my new technique which is to file down with a nailfile), all micro HDMI cables work fine.

I think it's pretty clear that the physical placement of the micro HDMI socket is not "in spec".   I think the problem is that the designers did not make the socket "flush" with the vertical edge of the machine OR that the "rim" (bumpers) that runs around the vertical edge of the Y2P get in the way of a micro HDMI plug being fully inserted into the socket.

The intermittent or failing connections on this socket appear to come from a lack of electrical contact between the metal "pins" in the inserted micro HDMI plug and the contacts in the Y2P's socket.  Removing some rubber/plastic on the body of the plug allows the plug to be inserted that little bit further and make good, reliable contact.

My suggestion.  Lenovo should make a (working, non-spec) micro HDMI plug (male) to regular HDMI socket (female) adapter.  Could be a few inches long and ship them FREE to registered owners and include them with all new Y2P machines.  Sell them for $5 if necessary.   I think Asus does something like that for USB to Ethernet etc.

I think a real "fix" is going to take a resign of the Y2P left vertical case (remove the bumper trim near the micro HDMI) or the PCB (make the HDMI socket "stick out more" i.e. metal edge flush with the vertical face).

Hope that's useful

Richard

Options

2 Posts

01-03-2014

Malaysia

6 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 28 of 84

2014-01-10, 7:16 AM

I just trimmed off the plastic on my belkin cable (which works fine with other devices), and it works now. 

Agreed - this is a design flaw, that thankfully can be "fixed" with a dirty but functional fix to the cable. I really think this is a very bad mistake, considering this is something that can be easily checked by actually plugging a standard micro HDMI into the plug for testing before its approved to be shipped out!

I have been using Lenovo Thinkpads for work for more than 2 years, and have been pretty happy with them, hence my trust in the brand which ultimately led me to buy the Yoga 2 pro. This however, has tainted that belief somewhat. Overall the Yoga 2 Pro is a good value ultrabook, but with this issue I dont think i can recommend this to anyone else!

Mark - please let us know if Lenovo plans to fix this. Would be great to get some sort of fix for this (or at least a cable that works!)

Thanks

SK

Options

38 Posts

11-07-2013

Norway

32 Signins

264 Page Views

• Views: 264
  • Message 29 of 84

2014-01-10, 20:40 PM

Yes, this is definitely a Yoga physical port problem. I shaved of plastic from a HDMI adapter as adviced but took if a little too much so the adapter is very sensitive, any movement of the cable and the connection is lost. I'll just get an new cheap adapter. But a word of warning to anyone about to cut of a little of any expensive highend hdmi cable: shave of a tiny bit at a time and try it out, to avoid ruining your cable.

Options

2 Posts

01-11-2014

Minnesota

12 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 30 of 84

2014-01-11, 5:31 AM

Just got my Y2P yesterday and already searching for this problem. I purchased the same micor HDMI from Amazon that was mentioned before - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004286VMW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  and had this problem right off the bat. Just a little movement and I would lose connection. After reading this thread, I think it is a problem with the computer. If you look at the port there's about 1.5 - 2 mm of plastic in front of the metal part of the jack. My old laptop has the standard size HDMI jack and the metal is flush with the outside of the case. So my guess is that the jack just needs to be relocated, or an adaptor should be supplied that has that extra depth. I am going to just try this fix for now and see if it works. Very annoying for the price I paid but not as annoying as Windows Metro.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete