Portland

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 41 of 84

Re: Yoga 2 Pro micro-HDMi issue SOLVED

2014-04-03, 20:16 PM

Hi Mark,

I can confirm that trimming the HDMI to micro adapater fixes the problem with flickering external monitors. It is a design flaw with the Yoga 2. I assume that male and female connectors all have a standard length on the male connector and a standard depth with a female connector. Seems like it would be tested prior to production.

Any reason why micro HDMI was chosen over a standard HDMI port? In seeking out an adapter all of the salespeople I came in contact with said that it's typically a mobile phone connector. I'm by no means a computer hardware expert, so I'm assuming there must be a really good reason to opt for micro instead of standard HDMI for a laptop.

If you're going to stick with the micro HDMI, it would be fantastic if you either corrected the depth of the port to account for the plastic edge the port butts up against, or created a Lenovo-branded adapter to include in the box with every unit, or provided a Lenovo labeled keychain knife to keep the DIY spirit alive!

Sorry, like the laptop, but almost returned it until I found this fix...still a little bit annoyed by the experience of having to use a DIY technique to get my $1200 laptop to work with an external monitor.

Options

1 Posts

05-01-2014

United States

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 42 of 84

2014-05-01, 12:42 PM

Just received this adapter.  

(get rid of the spaces)

http:// www. e bay. com/itm/390683817107?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I was worried after reading all the posts about the HDMI jack being recessed too far in the body and the adapter not working but I think I got lucky with particular adapter.  The metal plug part is slightly longer than what I'm used to seeing with typical micro-usb chargers.... when I plug it in, I can definitely feel the plug "catch" and make contact.  Video/audio output to TV works just fine.  No shaving required, no mods.  Also I wanted an adapter with a few inches of wire, instead of those adapters that are just the plug, so there will be less stress on the port.

Since micro-HDMI seems pretty delicate in general, I'm being extra careful and gentle when I plug the adapter in so I won't wear out the port. 

Options

1 Posts

05-20-2014

Greenville, NC

1 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 43 of 84

2014-05-20, 4:49 AM

So Mark, It has been some time since you posted a remark but you have not offered a solution.  I too have a Yoga 2 Pro with the same micro hdmi connection issue reported by others.  I am not particularly excited about filing or cutting an expensive cable.  Besides, there is metal at the base of the plug so I do not see how filing the outer plastic is going to make this plug go any further into the port.  Is Lenovo doing or suggesting anything to resolve this Yoga 2 Pro product defect?

Options

9 Posts

05-22-2014

California

8 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 44 of 84

2014-05-22, 4:27 AM
You don't see the irony of what you just did by using BestBuy for such great service and then buy from some cheap overseas outfit that does not offer such a service? Shame on you. Once BestBuy goes out of business what will you do?
Options

9 Posts

05-22-2014

California

8 Signins

68 Page Views

• Message 45 of 84

2014-05-30, 22:10 PM

Thanks for the idea.  Very simple to do.  Just file down a little bit of the excess plastic.  I have a Miix 2 10 which must have the same Micro HDMI port as the rest of Lenovo users.  This solution worked very well.

I also discovered that the Miix 2 10 and I believe the Yoga has support for the Intel Widi wireless display interface. That is very cool and now I don't even use the HDMI cable at home, just connect to the Logitech Widi receiver connected to my A/V receiver and broadcast wirelessly to my TV (I do take the cable on the road though).

Thanks again.

Options

9 Posts

05-22-2014

California

8 Signins

68 Page Views

• Message 46 of 84

2014-05-30, 22:12 PM

And when Best Buy goes belly up because people like you use it this way?  Where will you go then?  Isn't service, local inventory, test driving products, and hiring local people worth something?

Options

1 Posts

06-21-2014

Maryland

10 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 47 of 84

2014-06-21, 10:39 AM

I bought an Ativa HDMI combo pack (comes with HDMI cord and micro-HDMI adapter) from Office Depot and it works great without having to do any modifications to it.  I previously tried a Rocketfish cord from Best Buy and it did not work and I had the same issues that others are experiencing on this thread.  Good luck!

Options

1 Posts

06-30-2014

Hawaii

6 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 48 of 84

2014-06-30, 21:34 PM

WOW this worked for me too. I just borught mine last month. I thought it was a hardward or driver problem. The company wanted me to PAY $199 to fix the problem. Thanks you guys. I just keep shaving some off till it worked. All good now.

Options

1 Posts

07-09-2014

Chicago

3 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 49 of 84

2014-07-09, 12:54 PM

I purchased 2 Amazon brand cable converters, they work just fine. I just need to give it an extra little shove.

What brilliant designer decided on micro hdmi for this beautiful computer?  There should be a product recall, what a royal pain.

Options

3 Posts

05-20-2014

Zambia

4 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 50 of 84

2014-07-15, 12:18 PM

I want to also contribute towards this issue.  I bought my lenovo yoga in May 2014.

I am a South African, and work into Africa, and I bought the Lenovo for the right reasons - speed, battery life and weight.  But when the hdmi port did not work it really caused me a lot of trouble.

Firstly I spent approximately 3 hours online with the Lenovo helpdesk in South Africa.  When they could not do anything more, they referred me to the Lenovo repairer, Partserve.

I took the laptop to Partserve in South Africa.  After two weeks, they told me they have to replace the motherboard but cannot get the sparepart.  Since they could not fix my laptop, they replaced it with a new machine.

The new laptop also did not work with the micro HDMI cable.

I was extremely disappointed.  I have tried the tricks about shaving the the HDMI cable, but none of these things worked for me.

Eventually I bought the Monoprice  HDMI-Micro HDMI adaptor from Amazon, and had it imported to South Africa.  I did not have high hopes for this solution, but thought I should give it a try.

As soon as I plugged it in, the port worked.  So this took me some six weeks to resolve, including hours on the telephone with Lenovo engineers, plus the exchange of a laptop, that apparently was very OK, except that the cable I used was not compatible with the laptop.

I think this is extreme incompetence on the side of Lenovo.  Lenovo should be aware of this problem, and inform their help-desk engineers, service partners and so forth, and they should also ship a 7$ cable with their wonderful laptop, but it appears to me as if they are either arrogant, or oblivious to this problem.

Thank you to everyone on this website for their contributions.

I really appreciate it.

Kobus Malan

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete