03-17-2015

UK

167 Signins

1350 Page Views

• Views: 1350
  • Message 71 of 84

Re: Yoga 2 Pro micro-HDMi issue SOLVED

2015-05-11, 17:27 PM
Jonklaus, I think you should try connecting a standard micro HDMI to full HDMI cable to connect to an HDMI display. If this clears up your problem, you'll know the issue is with your adapter.

If it is not a connection issue it may be a power issue. Such digital to analogue converters need power and are not comparable to simple analogue to analogue or (some) digital to digital connectors. DVI confuses people in this regard as it is both digital and analogue (and can even carry an HDMI signal) but as we all went HDMI without thinking we'll have to put up with HDMI restrictions, too late to change our minds now.

Can you add an external power feed to your converter? Or connect it to a USB port as well as HDMI to draw more power?
Options

31 Posts

11-25-2014

United States

23 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 72 of 84

2015-05-11, 23:33 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, AndyCalling.

I also have an HDMI adapter, which does in fact work. But I'm not sure how this clearly indicates that the problem is with my adapter, since that adapter works perfectly with other TV/projector setups (I use it twice a week with such a setup with no problem). I suppose that the issue may have to do with certain projector settings, but I will tell you this: other people at the conference were using their MacBooks with no problems. (I may soon be defecting due to silly problems like these.) It's tough to reproduce and test this problem since it has only happened twice, when I was on the road at conferences. My feeling at the moment is that I simply an expensive laptop that I can't trust for presentations in high stress situations. Lenovo Fail #5 for me in the last year...

wrote:
Jonklaus, I think you should try connecting a standard micro HDMI to full HDMI cable to connect to an HDMI display. If this clears up your problem, you'll know the issue is with your adapter.

If it is not a connection issue it may be a power issue. Such digital to analogue converters need power and are not comparable to simple analogue to analogue or (some) digital to digital connectors. DVI confuses people in this regard as it is both digital and analogue (and can even carry an HDMI signal) but as we all went HDMI without thinking we'll have to put up with HDMI restrictions, too late to change our minds now.

Can you add an external power feed to your converter? Or connect it to a USB port as well as HDMI to draw more power?

Options

31 Posts

11-25-2014

United States

23 Signins

131 Page Views

• Views: 131
  • Message 73 of 84

2015-05-11, 23:36 PM

One other possibly related issue: I spoke to Lenovo tech support today and they advised me to uninstall the video driver and then have their support program reinstall it, replacing the generic MSoft driver that Windows opted for. I did so, and now the laptop takes a long time to come back from sleep after closing the lid, showing a spinning Windows graphic, whereas it used to come up instantaneously. (And should I mention that I'm having to restart the computer sometimes to get the WiFi to work? And that the trackpad is awful? And that I have dead spots on the screen for my fingers, but perfectly functioning with the stylus? Or that calibrating the screen for touch often makes the touch go totally bonkers? OK -- I'll stop.)

Options

1 Posts

07-23-2015

UK

5 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 74 of 84

UK source for micro HDMI cable that works with Yoga 2 Pro

2015-07-23, 9:34 AM

I've tried various adapters and cables but I've finally stumbled on one that works for me, no "adaptation" or mucking about with sharp blades or files.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261921269427 which is described as "Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable Lead Cable Lead For Lenovo Yoga 2 / 3 Pro PC to TV LCD" .

Looks pretty much the same as the others I've tried, but it works! And only £2.99 :)

Options

3 Posts

02-28-2015

US

5 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 75 of 84

2015-07-26, 18:23 PM

I just tried the solution (shaving some of the plastic) on third cable (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IO5ZD0U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00) which even mentions it works with Yoga 2 Pro and it didn't work.  I'll try buying the monochrome cable someone suggested below.  But is this what others see?

The sequence of events is as follows: 

Ready my machine to duplicate screens

Plug in the micro HDMI that is already connected to the HDMI connector on the TV

< The screen on my Yogo 2 immediately goes black not allowing my any further interaction with the Yoga 2>

Set the TV's Input to the HDMI 2 connected to the Yoga 2.

< Displays "HDMI detected",..."Retrieving Data",..."i - No audio detected",..."Not Supported!" >

So frustrating. I bought the Yoga 2 to support doing presentations so I am up the creek.

Options

20 Posts

02-23-2014

US

70 Signins

1014 Page Views

• Views: 1014
  • Message 76 of 84

2015-07-26, 22:37 PM

Hi btuset, you should give up using the micro-HDMI port and go the USB-to-HDMI route like I suggested a few months ago.  Do yourself a HUGE favor and order the Startech adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H91BQ7Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?&ie=UTF8&psc=1%29.%C2%A0) from Amazon for $54, or even try a cheaper one.  It's rock-solid, the cable never wiggles and loses the signal.  Its' embarassing trying to do it with the micro-HDMI cable.

Options

3 Posts

02-28-2015

US

5 Signins

14 Page Views

• Message 77 of 84

2015-07-27, 3:35 AM
Thanks tdroz. Just ordered USB to HDMI on your suggestion. Will update this when I succeed.
Options

3 Posts

02-28-2015

US

5 Signins

14 Page Views

• Message 78 of 84

2015-07-28, 16:19 PM

The USB to HDMI worked like a charm.  Why didn't someone suggest that at all the other junctures.  I'm so thankful you read this and commented!  I guess I was fixed on "micro" and it never occured to me, the Lenovo Support tech or the Best Buy people to suggest USB. THANK YOU!

Options

1 Posts

09-26-2015

Bath

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 79 of 84

2015-09-26, 19:25 PM

Absolutely uncceptbale that 2 years on, they haven't fixed this issue. Simple and obvious problem that clearly has its roots in the much much earlier editions. will be rating 1 star for producing this for so much money. ridiculous that i have to shave off an HDMI cable to connect my laptop to a monitor.

Options

1 Posts

03-23-2016

TR

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 80 of 84

2016-03-23, 14:59 PM

I had the same problem until 2 days ago. I had tried every single suggestion to make the HDMI port work but none had worked. Then, I solved the problem by chance. It works like this: First, you should turn off the TV (PC can be working at the time). Then connect the HDMI cable the TV. Next, connect the cable to your PC. The screen of the laptop should go blank the moment you connect the cable to the laptop.

I tried to connect the cable while the TV is working (to test my method), and I didn't get the image on TV. But when I turn off the TV and connect it, it works :)

I hope this will also work for you. I would be happy if you let me know if it works or not.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete