Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lootzius
Fanfold Paper
Views: 174,666
Message 1 of 82

Yoga 2 Pro micro-HDMi issue SOLVED

I have had my Yoga 2 Pro for about a week now. Slowly adapting to the ins and outs of the device. Just recently acquired a micro-HDMi to HDMi adapter to connect the Yoga 2 to my TV. Needless to say I was a bit dismayed when I noticed that the adapter worked, but only if I tugged on the connection (towards the front of the machine). When I let go, the screen would disconnect and I would have no picture. This angered me a bit. I read a bit about others having the same issues.

I slept on the issue one night and then in the morning I decided to take matters into my own hands. Grabbed a nail file I had laying around and shaved off about a nail file's width off of the end of the micro-HDMi connector. I could barely see any difference in the cable connector. Then I tried plugging it in and voila. No issues whatsoever. Tried angling the connector towards the back, down, up, front. No interruptions...

I know it is a bit frustrating, but I like the rubbery feel of the Yoga 2 body and was willing to do a bit of DIY to make this work. Took about 5 minutes in total. Now am happy again...

Give this a try if you have a problem with the connection.

Just thought I'd share...

lootzius

palmbay24
What's DOS?
Views: 174,012
Message 2 of 82

Re: Yoga 2 Pro micro-HDMi issue SOLVED

I registered just so I could say thank you for this solution! HDMI out is working perfectly now. 

lootzius
Fanfold Paper
Views: 174,377
Message 3 of 82

Smiley Happy

You are welcome...

I was not willing to give up as I really like this Y2P so far. And this was annoying but if the fix is THIS easy and even I can do it, then everyone should know...

Cheers...

ramk13
Punch Card
Views: 173,969
Message 4 of 82

Just to verify, did you file the actual metal portion of the connector or the rubber/plastic that surrounds the connector? Also can you let us know which cable/connector you used?

Someone mentioned that this monoprice adapter worked for them without modification:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-6inch-34AWG-Speed-Ethernet/dp/B00507GV38

(you can also find it at Monoprice's site).

lootzius
Fanfold Paper
Views: 173,938
Message 5 of 82

No, definitely did not mess with the metal part as this would do the exact opposite of what I was after. Shaving off just that little bit of the plastic housing (I mean like really a nail file's width, or like 1/16th of an inch) made a HUGE, HUGE difference. I guess exposing more of the connector and essentially seating it into the port better.

I am using a

SYBA SY-ADA24029 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps USB 3.0 Type A 1 x RJ45

I never tried a different one so I do not know how the others might work. But seeing the others having a similar problem, I assume this might work on more of them...

delboy1952
Paper Tape
Views: 173,540
Message 6 of 82

I cannot get the HDMI socket to output at all !

Olsmar
Paper Tape
Views: 173,461
Message 7 of 82

Thanks!

After a few hours I found your solution ant took a knife..... and it worked.. 

lootzius
Fanfold Paper
Views: 173,453
Message 8 of 82

I cannot believe it!

Thanks for sharing. Add KNIFE to the solution!!! Smiley Happy

lootzius
Fanfold Paper
Views: 173,449
Message 9 of 82

Did you try shaving some of the plastic off? If so, try shaving off some more... I was also disappointed at the beginning, but this was so easy and fast. And I have not had any issues with it since.

If yours still does not work, check your cable on another computer. Perhaps it's bad to begin with.

Best of luck to you!

JohnRL
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 173,442
Message 10 of 82

Yup. I had the problem that I couldn't get any output via my micro-HDMI cable. Turned out it was just a cheap and ineffective cable. I went to Best Buy and bought a new one to test- worked fine. Then returned it and ordered a few via eBay from overseas. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors