Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddoan
What's DOS?
Views: 18,961
Message 31 of 82

Re: Yoga 2 Pro micro-HDMi issue SOLVED

Hey Lootzius! It worked! I was so frustrated with this until I read your post. Thanks for sharing! You're right, I also didn't want to return it since it is an amazing laptop. My screen still flinches a bit when i move the laptop around but I guess I just need to shave a bit more of the plastic. I read that some people just used a knife and completely removed the plastic around the metal. I guess I'll try that as well
tscareus
Paper Tape
Views: 18,931
Message 32 of 82

I also want to say  thanks - it worked for me too. After shaving the plastic, the connector still seemed to wiggle around like it was a little loose so didn't think it was going to work. But it stays connected now even when moving the computer around. Ddoan - you said your screen still "flinches" a little, are you talking about the tv screen or the computer screen? I was getting frustrated with the computer screen brightness fading randomly due to the auto brightness setting. After disabling that everything is great now. 

lootzius
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,914
Message 33 of 82

Glad it worked for you too. I've been enjoying my "fix" together with the Y2P for a while now... Cheers!
lootzius
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,914
Message 34 of 82

Good to hear. A simple fix that makes a HUGE difference! Good luck with your Y2P!
arsjoe
Paper Tape
Views: 18,666
Message 35 of 82

I had the same issue with my new Yoga 2 Pro, when I plugged in a HDMI cable no signal was sent to my TV.  I tried a cable from Staples and one from Best Buy, neither worked.  I then purchased a Push 2 TV which I could connect to and see an output on the TV, however the picture was not clear and the response time was terrible.  After reading this forum, I purchase the short adapter from Amazon (about $6.00) and it work great without any modification.  Thanks for the help!

burnetet
What's DOS?
Views: 18,626
Message 36 of 82

I just got my yoga 2 pro on Friday and was experiencing the HDMI problems. I bought a Micro HDMI to HDMI and a Micro HDMI to VGA adapter. The HDMI cable was having itermittent issues as described in this thread. If i moved my laptop i would lose connection. It worked but it was very annoying. My VGA adapter did not work at all. Trimming of the plstic on the cords seemed to have worked on both of my cables. I am very happy I found this thread!!!

denes
Punch Card
Views: 18,487
Message 37 of 82

I have tried in total five different hdmi cables and micro-to-regular hdmi adapters. They do not by default work with the Yoga 2 Pro but work with any other micro hdmi port I've tried on other laptops.This is a Yoga 2 Pro hardware defect, plain and simple.

Trimming off some of the plastic on the cable connector makes a connection possible. But not a reliable connection because trimming the cable makes the connector head more "wiggly" so that if the cable is moved only a little during use the connection is lost and the cable must be wiggled again to make it work. That is terrible when using the Y2P for presentations. The root problem is that Lenovo has put too much case plastic between the actual hdmi micro port and the external connector. So even if we shave off some connector plastic the connector cannot go fully into the port and therefore will be less fixed in place.

My patience with this error is running low so I'm considering doing a RMA for the Yoga. Sadly, since it is a good machine in other respects.

Someone upthread suggested that Lenovo should produce some micro-to-regular hdmi adapters tailored to this unusual port on the Y2P and then provide one to any owner who wants free of charge. If that happens then I would not do a RMA.

If Lenovo publishes an official guide on how to trim off some of the case plastic around the hdmi port without voiding warranty then I'm also willing to give that a shot.

A reply from a Lenovo representative with updates on this issue would be helpful. I'd also like to hear if anyone has succesfully trimmed off plastic around the hdmi port and if that made the cable fit more securely in place during use.

tdroz
Serial Port
Views: 18,423
Message 38 of 82

I found some additional information about micro-HDMI cables that might solve the mystery here.  If you look at the HDMI spec & some cable manufacturers, they spec the micro-HDMI connector to be 5.8mm +/- 0.2mm.  I have 2 cables, one from Belkin that is on the minus side of the spec at 5.6mm, and I have a Kanex cable that is on the plus side of the spec at ~6mm.  The Kanex cable works great, and the Belkin one has to be wiggled to seat properly.  NB, I've had similar issues with Acer tablets and their micro-HDMI ports; it's not just Lenovo.hdmi_cable.PNG

denes
Punch Card
Views: 18,351
Message 39 of 82

Thank you tdroz for your research. I did not know that the spec allow for such a large variation in size. I'll see if I can find an adapter with a long connector in Europe. A problem is that web shops standardly do no post that size information.

I really wish that someone from Lenovo would take responsibility for the hardware quirks of this premium device. A list of compatible adapters would be a start, like how motherboard producers do with the lists of officially compatible memory modules. Or even better, Lenovo should offer a micro-to-regular HDMI adapter free of charge to any user suffering from this problem.

Until something like that is in place I will keep saying what I've been saying about the Yoga when people ask: a great device in many ways, but if you plan to use it for presentations then stay away, at least until Lenovo has fixed this issue.

josleyten
Paper Tape
Views: 17,904
Message 40 of 82

For some reason it took a while before your solution reached me. But cut off half a milimiter with sharp knife and problem solved. Thanks a lot.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors