cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D-3vil
Paper Tape
Views: 16,257
Message 1 of 15

Yoga 2 Pro motherboard replacement -- are different configs interchangeable?

I bought a Yoga 2 Pro laptop in February 2014 (so it's out of warranty) -- Core i5 with 8GB of RAM.

Unfortunately, 2 days ago it randomly turned off (with the keyboard backlight and power button LED flashing about every 3 seconds).  I've been able to turn it back on twice, but the problem still persists.

From looking around this forum, the problem is likely faulty RAM, which means a motherboard replacement is in order.

I am unable to find the exact same motherboard for sale online, but I found the Core i7 with 8GB RAM version.

Are the two motherboards interchangeable?  Has anyone successfully done this?

Thanks in advance!

D-3vil
Paper Tape
Views: 16,094
Message 2 of 15

Re: Yoga 2 Pro motherboard replacement -- are different configs interchangeable?

Despite lack of an answer, I went ahead and bought the i7 version.  I can confirm the two are indeed interchangeable.

So, if you're looking to upgrade your existing Yoga 2 pro, it can be done via a motherboard replacement (though not exactly cheaply).

My laptop now works again (knock on wood that it won't start acting up again).  However I can't say that I've been impressed with its quality so far Smiley Sad

Forgot to mention: taking my laptop apart and putting it back together again fixed a minor screen alignment issue (screen was not 100% aligned with base when closed).  It always bugged me (though not enough to RMA), and I'm not sure why it shipped out new from the factory like that but I'm glad I was able to fix this as well.

ac789
What's DOS?
Views: 16,005
Message 3 of 15

Re: Yoga 2 Pro motherboard replacement -- are different configs interchangeable?

Thanks for replying with your solution.  I am considering upgrading my Yoga 2 Pro (with iCore5 and 4 GB RAM) with an iCore 7 and 8 or 16 GB motherboard (since its not possible to simply upgrade the RAM).  It sounds like this is doable now.  

techforev
Paper Tape
Views: 15,916
Message 4 of 15

Hi. Cam you please give quick writeup of steps needed to replace motherboard. Mine is dead also.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 15,905
Message 5 of 15

@techforev wrote:
Hi. Cam you please give quick writeup of steps needed to replace motherboard. Mine is dead also.

For your model Lenovo does have a Hardware Maintenance Manual available that will explain and illustrate the replacement of hardware items.  Below is a link to that manual.  Before working inside your system please follow all recommendations and precautions mentioned in the manual.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_yoga_2_pro_hmm.pdf

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

HawaiianGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 15,895
Message 6 of 15

Glad to hear you were able to get your Y2P fixed!

I just submitted a post on the forum, but I was wondering if you thought your fix would help me. My Y2P crashed last week and is telling me there is no hard drive. Since it has an SSD, I wonder if I have to replace the whole motherboard to fix it.

If so, where did you look to find yours?

Thanks in advance for the help.

fahmadr
Paper Tape
Views: 15,879
Message 7 of 15

It's pretty likely that your motherboard is working if there is some output showing that there is no HD. If it out of warranty already,  open it up and make sure the connection to the SSD is secure. If it is, then you may need a new SSD. 

HawaiianGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 15,857
Message 8 of 15

Thanks, I think I am going to have to go the route of a new SSD. I took the old one out this weekend, and reinserting it didn't help. The sales rep I'm chatting with now suggested going through CDW or zones.com. I've been looking at Amazon, but it's tricky reading reviews and knowing what will work and what won't.

jhova07
What's DOS?
Views: 15,838
Message 9 of 15

Hello Majestic and to all,

I have a yoga 13 idea pad and for some reason it crash on me, more to say it turn off on me whil I was asleep on my lap. I came to find that when I tried to power it on it refused to come on I tried charging it and more but it still recieves nno power or nothing at all. Please I am wonder if maybe my motherboard need to be replaced or the battery installed within it or need to just get an entirely new laptop. Also If I do need to get a new mother board is ther a list of instrutions I can get to onpen my laptop to replace it.

Thanks

techforev
Paper Tape
Views: 15,831
Message 10 of 15

Hello - I found picture guide on how to disassemble and replace motherboard on yoga 2 pro. Very good. See this link:

How To Replace Yoga 2 Motherboard (With Pictures)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors