Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BrianE
Paper Tape
Views: 7,690
Message 1 of 7

Yoga 2 Pro randomly shuts down

Just bought a used 2014 Yoga 2 Pro.  i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD.  Previously owner claimed he upgraded to W10 and then it just started randomly shutting down.  Well it does.  Figured I could solve it.  NOT!  No warning, no BSD, just 100% off in an instant.  It will restart with no problem but WILL shut off when it decides it should.

Here are the steps I have followed but it is still randomly shutting down. 

1. Fresh load of W10 deleting only the OS partition before installing
  2. Installed all current W10 updates with other MS software updates - Still shuts down
  3. Installed all most recent Lenovo updates for the Y2P even if they were older than the MS drivers including the most recent BIOS update - Still shuts down
  4. Seemed to be running very hot
    1. Downloaded a utility to show CPU and other temps and control the fan
    2. Set fan to 100% on all the time - did not help much - Still shuts down
    3. Set maximum processor state to 80% - seemed to help some - Still shuts down
    4. Tore into the system, cleaned the heat sink and CPU of the thermal paste and reapplied new Arctic Silver
    5. This helped big time as the old thermal paste had seen better days and was smeared all over the place - - Still shuts down
    6. Turned the maximum processor state back to 100% and it still runs cool - STILL shutting down though
  5. Found the Intel's Management Engine Interface was not installed and that might be the problem (another site's post)
    1. Tried Lenovo's MEI driver and it said the platform was not supported, I understand it should be and the driver was for this specific Y2P
      1. Figured maybe the new BIOS was the issue
        1. Found three older BIOS files and tried all three but none would let the driver load and the MEI verification software still said MEI was not found in the BIOS.

I still believe this may be the silver bullet if I can get the MEI driver to load and a BIOS that supports it.  Just very unsure on how to do this or if there is another solution.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Birraque
802.11n
Views: 7,664
Message 2 of 7

Re: Yoga 2 Pro randomly shuts down

I'm running my Yoga 2 Pro (20266 / 80AY) with this Step-By-Step Setup Guide (OS, Drivers, Apps and TRICKS) configuration. Also installed Intel Management Engine Interface [9.5.10.1658] and Energy Manager (Lenovo Desktop App) [1.0.1.51]  both from Lenovo Support Site and it's totally reliable with Windows 10 (Creators Update - Build 15063.540). BIOS 76CN43WW with standard Lenovo configuration, CPU (Intel i7 4500U) with original Thermal Paste.
Never randomly shutdown and everything smoothly.

BrianE
Paper Tape
Views: 7,631
Message 3 of 7

I followed the instructions exactly and I still have the shut down issue.  I still cannot install the Intel MEI driver.  Tells me the platform is not supported.  I think this is my issue.  I think it is a BIOS issue that will take skills that may be a slightly beyond mine.

BrianE
Paper Tape
Views: 7,589
Message 4 of 7

SOLUTION: Okay so here is what the problem was.  The ME region of the BIOS was either corrupted or empty.  I was lucky enough to find www.win-raid.com. These guys are geek genius'!  You do need skills to do this but thru a DOS USB boot key and the right ME System Tools (v9.5) I was able, via their direction, to flash the BIOS and add that feature back in.  It 100% solved the problem.  Here is the link to that conversation on their forum.  Ignore my brain fart confusion in regards to the right ME System tool version.  It is v9.5. www.win-raid.com/t1379f39-Yoga-Pro-shutdowns-every-minutes-6.html.  Go page 7 if the link does not take you there and find the first entry for beransom.  P.S.  I used Rufus to create the DOS bootable USB key.

BrianE
Paper Tape
Views: 7,587
Message 5 of 7

P.S.S I also followed Birraque's link above "Step-By-Step Setup Guide (OS, Drivers, Apps and TRICKS)" for driver installation. It is very good. There are a few newer drivers from both Intel and Lenovo since that post so look for them but overall the post is excellent.
Birraque
802.11n
Views: 7,580
Message 6 of 7

Hi BrianE,

Good to know that 'Fernando's Win-RAID Forum' worked for you. Problem solved.
Personally feel uncomfortable to install deep system components through unknown sources. The reliable sources to download drivers/firmware  for Y2P in my option are only Lenovo, Intel or Microsoft.
Reinstall Lenovo's latest firmware should restore any corrupt ME engine. A unknown code installed on your firmware system could compromisse your security enabling backdoor by default.

Note: Some newer drivers (Intel VGA, WLAN, BT, ME or RST) isn't system reliable or best performance with Y2P. That's why I didn't recommended it yet.

Claitero
Paper Tape
Views: 5,278
Message 7 of 7

Hi Birraque,
I totally agree with you on the third party deep system components, this solution however worked for me too and for a few others on Win-Raid forum. I'd be more than happy to use Lenovo firmware but this didn't solve the problem. I tried flashing older BIOSes from Lenovo and newer ones with no luck.

Is there any new solution?

I only did all this within last few days and latest Lenovo firmware was from 13 Aug 2015...

Any chance for an updated firmware?

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors