Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nightrain5150
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 24,289
Message 1 of 18

Yoga 2 Pro screw fell out again - THANKS LENOVO

OK, so I've been an owner of the Best Buy Special (the Yoga 2 Pro with 256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, and i7 CPU) since last November, and the system died on me once a few months back.  Fine, I send into Lenovo for repair and they got it back to me pretty quickly.  Soon after getting it back, one, then two screws on the bottom side of the laptop fall out, and others look like they're precariously close to doing the same.  At the time I didn't even have an idea of what screwhead these were (now I know they're Torx), but I was missing 1 out of the 2 that fell out.  I called Lenovo to ask if they had an extra screw to send me and unbelievably, they told me the only way this could be resolved was to send it back to them.  I went to my local Best Buy's Geek Squad, and they said they didn't have any screws or means of screwing in the one I still had (so what do they do exactly?)

Finally, I gave in and sent it back to Lenovo for another week's turnaround time to replace two lousy little screws.  Well, it's happened again in the last week, and I do not know when or where it fell out, but I sure as hell don't plan on losing my computer for another week's time over a screw.  So does anyone know where I can locate the world's smallest Torx screw?  The service manual is of little help in identifying it, in fact I think it's completely off because it says it's a Philips or flathead (can't remember, but it was wrong) and nylon-coated; and even if I did know how to ID this screw by measurement, etc., all the screw stores I've seen online tend to sell their wares in bulk.  I just want one, and Lenovo can't even give one to me.  This is ridiculous.

So... has anyone been through this frustration and was able to locate what apparently is the smallest Torx screw in the world?

Guru
Views: 24,140
Message 2 of 18

Re: Yoga 2 Pro screw fell out again - THANKS LENOVO

google Draper Precision Torx Screwdriver Set 9 Piece should be small enough to do you screws, if not a small allen key will work

http://www.encompassparts.com/model/LENYOGA13/_/_/Lenovo/YOGA13/YOGA-13_LENOVO_LAPTOP have a list of parts you might be able to get the screws
Thx dave

yoga 2, lenovo b540
3 custom gaming pc systems
Emmerx
Token Ring
Views: 24,124
Message 3 of 18

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 24,116
Message 4 of 18

@caveman31 wrote:
google Draper Precision Torx Screwdriver Set 9 Piece should be small enough to do you screws, if not a small allen key will work

http://www.encompassparts.com/model/LENYOGA13/_/_/Lenovo/YOGA13/YOGA-13_LENOVO_LAPTOP have a list of parts you might be able to get the screws

Are you for real? 

LEN 141500002 Screw-m20l20d35t05.prt33.33166.65

$33.33 per screw? WTH?

Guru
Views: 24,108
Message 5 of 18

didn't mean for the price was more for the part numbers
Thx dave

yoga 2, lenovo b540
3 custom gaming pc systems
nightrain5150
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 24,027
Message 6 of 18

Postscript to this story: when I called Lenovo about thie issue and was told again to sened the laptop back to have a single screw replaced (I pointed out the ridiclousness of it all, of course) I finally asked for escalation.  Basically, in about 10 days times a wonderful woman named Debbie from Lenovo got in touch with me, mailed me 4 replacement screws herself, and that's the end of the story.  

The mora lhere is never take a first-level tech's word as the bottom line.  Four years ago, when I ordered my current Dell desktop computer, I decided after receiving that I wanted to upgrade from the SB Xtreme Audio to the X-Fi Xtreme Audio card.  Well, the first thing I was told was that such a swap (in which I would willingly folk over the extra cash for an upgrade option that was present when ordering the computer) was impossible and my best bet was to sell the sound card on eBay and acquire the new card via third-party.  Or, I incredulously proposed, I could send back my computer to Dell and re-order it with the option, losing money for all parties involved.

Thankfully, I had called about the issue a couple of times and the other guy facilitated everything, told me to pay no mind to the other CSR's remarks, etc. and problem was resolved on a timely basis.  Sorry for getting off-topic there, but basically just don't let some idiot at a call center defy common sense on your watch.  Ha.

thomacj
What's DOS?
Views: 23,727
Message 7 of 18

I was able to find the size of the screw and went into a TrueValue store and purchase them. Its M2 5mm screw. they had a M2 6mm that was flat head. it worked and it really dosent matter what type of head it has, just as long as it fits. 

rckabyebaby
What's DOS?
Views: 22,279
Message 8 of 18

Thanks for your help. It's a shame that Lenovo doesn't provide extra screws hell they should of done their inspections to make sure tthis kind of thing doesn't happen. I didn't even know the screws were gone until I tried to open my lap top  and hinges were off...

Chowlander
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,157
Message 9 of 18

I'm having ame issue, albeit w/ a Yoga 3 Pro.  I noticed unexpected flex around base cover near USB port, & then discovered that one screw was missing, & most of remaining were loose.  I took it up to 2d level tech support, who again said the only solution was to send machine back for depot repair.  

Any chance you can give me Debbie's contact info?  

Thx. much.

mms16947
Paper Tape
Views: 14,824
Message 10 of 18

Hi I have similar issue my laptop went for repair and came back with one missing screw and I was told that the only option was to send it back to the repair center which would take another 10 days, I even purchased the inside warranty but they said that they can not come for a missing and can not send me either. As I live in UK so laptopscrews.com was not helpful either as the postage cost was around £20.

A friend mentioned that he had some extra screws so I went to his house but all of them were too big :-(

After looking at the screws he brought an old hard disk which he took out of his Ps3 and guess what the screws on seagate hard drive are exact same as Y3Pro. 

Although not an ideal solution but worked for me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors