Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clouds73
Core Memory
Views: 381
Message 1 of 11

Yoga 2 Pro, the default mail app disappeared after updating

Hello guys,

This is exactly what happened to me. I did a clean install, it was very smooth and went just fine. All apps were present, I installed all drivers that I needed for my machine and everything was OK. I was installing windows updates, loads of them and the spring creators update 1803 was among them, I had to restart my machine and it did restart a few times, then i noticed that mail app icon that was pinned to the taskbar was transparent. I knew it was there because of the icons alignments. 2 icons then nothing then 2 icons. That nothing was the mail app and it click's. I don't remember now if the mail app actually opened or there was a problem. I tried restarting my laptop it didn't help, so I unpinned the icon in hope to find it again and pin it once more time. Of course I couldn't find the app, but if you go to settings > apps> app features > advanced or something, it's there, i tried to do a reset, that didn't help, i tried to uninstall but it's greyed out. If I find the app in the windows app store, there's no install there or uninstall for that matter.

I don't know what to do any more.

Thank You 

Birraque
802.11n
Views: 353
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga 2 Pro, the default mail app disappeared after updating

Hi clouds73,

Since 'Mail and Calendar' app already installed double check if you can open it again (and pin it back).

OR

The following article may help you to troubleshoot 'Mail and Calendar' app issue:
How to uninstall (and restore) Windows 10's built-in apps

Note: MS Store - 'Mail & Calendar' installation LINK

Regards,

(*) Did this information help you today? Press the star on the left to thank with a KUDO!

clouds73
Core Memory
Views: 349
Message 3 of 11

It says installed but I can't pin it back, it's grayed out.

Birraque
802.11n
Views: 347
Message 4 of 11

My bad (already edited my previous post).

Regards,

clouds73
Core Memory
Views: 328
Message 5 of 11

I tried uninstalling the app using powershell, I don't think it worked at all. I just copied the command as it is but I don't think it did anything. <Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationapps* | Remove-AppxPackage> without the brackets.

When I search the app in the search bar, I don't see it, but I see a sugestion to download it as an app from app store and it says Install, meaning it's NOT installed, but when I go to the store, it shows that it's installed and any other option is greayed out.install app.pnginstalled.png

Birraque
802.11n
Views: 321
Message 6 of 11

The article lack the "S" in the command line.

mail_calendar.PNG

Try again with the following command line in PowerShell (elevated):

Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage

Let me know if it works now.

Regards,
clouds73
Core Memory
Views: 312
Message 7 of 11

This is crazy! The command you sent me worked and it successfully uninstalled the app, so I went to re-download it from the store which I did, and then I got a side notification on my laptop saying that mail & calender app was installed, do you want to launch it or pin to the taskbar? I chose pin, but there was nothing pined!! I tried finding the app again by searching for it in the search bar and I got the same old results as before, that I should get it from the store! so, I uninstalled it again using the same method and restarted, and again downloaded it and when I got the side notification, I chose this time launch and it did open it and it restored all my emails and everything but it won't show at the taskbar that it's even open!! whatever app that you open, you will always find an icon in the taskbar indicating that it's open even though it's not pinned, but not in this case!!! Now, if I close the email app, I won't be able to find it again to open it!

here!.pnginstall app.png

Birraque
802.11n
Views: 306
Message 8 of 11

Looks like something really didn't worked well during "FULL Reset Now" your system after installed Windows 10 (1803).

First Option)

This issue can be caused by corrupted taskbar files.
Please press Windows + R to open Run, and copy following command and press enter:
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
In the popped up windows, clear all items and restart the computer. Then, try to pin the applications again.

OR

Second Option)
Uninstall again 'Mail & Calendar' with the following command line in PowerShell (elevated):
Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage
REBOOT your system and re-install with the following command line in PowerShell (elevated):
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Then REBOOT again your system.

OR

Third Option)
Create a NEW User Profile (Account) to login into your system and double check if taskbar works well.

Regards,

(*) Did this information help you today? Press the star on the left to thank with a KUDO!
clouds73
Core Memory
Views: 268
Message 9 of 11

Hello,

very sorry for the late answer.

Nothing worked out. When I was re-installing the mail app using the command you gave me in option 2, at first there was a lot of green, indicating sucessful deployment of bunch of commands at once, but then 1 red came, and whole red came, so when all was finished, there was everything in red.

Finally I have created the new user and again, I was able to add an email account in the settings, indicating that the app is atually installed on the system, but that was all of it. I couldn't find the mail app in the search bar as usual. what does this mean?

I'm thinking of resetting my system.

clouds73
Core Memory
Views: 262
Message 10 of 11

So, finally the problem is solved! I went to the recovery section in settings and I chose reset this PC and left my personal files. It didn't take long, just few minuttes. Now the email app is back and it's pinned down!

Thank You very much for all the help, much appreciated!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors