Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Views: 2304
  • Message 31 of 77

Re: Yoga 2 Pro - tiny fonts in some applications

2013-12-10, 21:05 PM

Actually, the place where you are going to really see the benefit of 3200 x 1800 is in Metro apps such as Flipboard and also in Office 2013

Microsoft intentionally broke Cleartype in Metro and Office 2013 because it doesn't work well with tablets that change orientation.  You can still do Cleartype but it sucks.  Because MS believes super high PPI tablet screens are the future they no longer saw the need for Cleartype which would work well in portrait mode, instead relying upon the sheer brute force of ultra-high PPI screens to smooth fonts for them.  The fact that this completely screwed desktop users with legacy 1920 x 1080 screens notwithstanding.

For instance, a Word 2013 document at 1920 x 1080 is a jagged mess whereas it is smooth and beautiful at 3200 x 1800.  So in this 3200 x 1800 is not simply a marketing ploy - it serves a real purpose.

Now you would think that since MS is forcing us into high PPI tablets that they would make independent scaling with externnal monitors easier.  They have given us a bit of a solution but nowhere near as easy as being able to set zoom% independently on each monitor.  Given that, here is the best way to get good results at 3200 x 1800 on your Y2P and also an external monitor:

MAKING EXTERNAL MONITORS WORK WITH 3200 X 1800:

1) Set your Y2P at 3200 x 1800.

2) Open Display Settings and choose "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays".

3) Select 200% and Apply.  This will require a log out and back in.

4) Once logged back in, open Display Settings again and move the dialog box to your external monitor. 

5) Uncheck "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" and move the slider to the second position from the right.

6) Hit Apply.  Don't be concerned if nothing really happens.

7) Reboot your computer.

8) Your Y2P will now be at 200% and your external monitor should be at something close to about 125%.

9) Apps which scale well like Word, IE and Firefox will look fine on your external monitor, apps which do not, like Access will look HUGE.  Photoshop will have tiny menus on both monitors but that is an Adobe thing.

Is this a ghetto sort of non-perfect solution?  Yes, but for now it allows you to enjoy the full power of your Y2P screen while still using an external monitor.  If Adobe products are a big part of your life, just go with 1920 x 1080.  If rather Office 2013 and Metro are predominant, go for 3200 x 1800.

Options

2 Posts

12-10-2013

Maine

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 32 of 77

2013-12-10, 21:13 PM

Mitchellvii, thanks for the reply - I did have scaling at 150% and not 200. Now I would say that the toolbar font is marginably readable, but my vision is probably not as good as yours. However, my ability to accurately use touch controls is far less than out-of-box experiences with Android or IOS, and I have smallish fingers. I'm just hoping Win 8 offers more scaling options, and am a bit surprised that Lenovo thought this would work for many people. Thanks again, and I'll move my concerns to the Win 8 forums.

Options

61 Posts

11-25-2013

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

52 Signins

347 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 347
  • Message 33 of 77

Re: Should I buy the Y2P?

2013-12-15, 0:41 AM

How do you "scale it on Windows and make the interface larger" please?

Options

35 Posts

12-10-2013

Portugal

78 Signins

550 Page Views

• Views: 550
  • Message 34 of 77

2013-12-15, 0:51 AM

wrote:

How do you "scale it on Windows and make the interface larger" please?

Right click on the desktop, screen resolution, "make text and other items larger or smaller", and then just adjust the slider.

Options

61 Posts

11-25-2013

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

52 Signins

347 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 347
  • Message 35 of 77

2013-12-15, 1:05 AM

Thanks for your answer. I have the resolution at 3200 and I have moved the slider to as large as possible but the icons and text on the desktop are much too small. Where am I going wrong please?

Options

6 Posts

01-06-2014

USA

9 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 36 of 77

2014-01-06, 14:01 PM

Hey I have a question, how are you changing your resolution?  What I mean is when I change my resolution except for the default I get a small little window surrounded by black (same dpi but "cropped" or resized screen with out zooming).  When I play games in any other resolution I get a small box in the middle of my screen.  I assume I'm missing something very obvious but I've posted on some gameing forums with no answer,  Thanks!

Options

3 Posts

01-07-2014

United States

11 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 37 of 77

2014-01-07, 3:20 AM

I was really bothered by the small text so much so that I wanted to return it.  I ended up changing resultion to 2048 x 1152 and restarting my Yoga.  This fixed it for me.  Programs and text are big enough to use now.  I haven't tried 1080 but I assume that would make everything feel even more "regular".

Really liking the Yoga now but wish they wouldn't have go so crazy on the resolution.  1080 or 1152 is more than enough and I'd rather have the battery power.

Options

6 Posts

01-06-2014

USA

9 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 38 of 77

2014-01-07, 6:29 AM
I agree I didn't want to return it but no programs were ready for such small type. Metro apps work very well though.a few tweaks to Chrome and things were very easy except for Photoshop and Steam games. This computer is by far the best I've used my wife has a Asusprime and it is very nice.I would say the only thing I don't likeabout the yoga, & I like everything else, is all the fingerprints on the touch screen and I think that is unavoidable.
Options

4 Posts

01-16-2014

United States

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 39 of 77

2014-01-16, 20:47 PM

Photoshop Elements at 3200 x 1800 is totally unusable. Menus and dialogs are unreadable. Is anyone from Lenovo contacting Adobe to tell them that their software is badly broken and unusable? Lenovo, people will be happier with the Y2P if you try to get Adobe to fix their mistakes; PE is a really great program, and it should work on the Y2P.

For a few days when I had to do a bunch of image work, I set my resolution to 1920x1080 and was able to use PE. One drawback is that you're working with photos with your hw set to a sub-optimal resolution. But the Yoga also makes things difficult, because it constantly nags you that you are workng at the wrong resolution. Once I was done with my image retouching, I returned to 3200x1800, just to avoid the nags.

Another app that is totally broken is dropbox. When you click on the Dropbox icon in the notification area, dropbox shows a status box with tiny type. It's totally illegible. (In that illegible status box, there's a gear icon, which sorta looks like a tiny blurry donut when displayed way too small, which leads to a menu that leads to a Prefs dialog that displays properly.)

-kaare

Options

1 Posts

02-11-2014

Austin, Tx

3 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 40 of 77

2014-02-11, 16:54 PM

Hi, I just got off the phone with Lenovo Support who confirmed my issue is indeed an issue with no available support and no work-arounds.  My issue is that certain applications (including Microsoft Office and 123 Rescue Me, Lenovo's own support application) have not been developed to scale appropriately for the 3200x1800 resolution of the Yoga 2 Pro.  These applications throw application windows that are TINY, making it impossible to read the contents, enter information, or interact w/ them to make them usable.  In Rescue Me, the chat window renders to take up only like 10% of the screen.  In Microsoft Office, when trying to save a document to Sky Drive Pro it asks you to enter the URL (initially).  This input screen renders the same way....TINY....about only 10% of the screen and about 5-10X too small to be usable.

Lenovo support told me that it's the application owner's issue, not hardware.  My issue with this is that Lenovo introduced technology that major partners haven't yet accommodated....and even worse, while I appreciate the 'future proofing' of the high resolution, there is no current way of it working TODAY.  You'd think that simply updating the display resolution would resolve the issue....but it doesn't.  Tech support could provide me no work-around to this KNOWN issue besides "wait and hope that these software companies eventually update their applications to support higher-resolution devices".  Nice.

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in. Was; Display/Resolution Issue w/ MS Office 365 and Rescue Me and Others...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms